1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Why do I feel guilty?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by ABK, Feb 2, 2006.

1. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

A fellow contacted me yesterday wanting to buy a pup. I asked all the usual questions, including "what are your reasons for wanting to buy this pup?" He told me brood. I informed him we don't sell just for brood. He then said that he just told me that b/c he thought that is what I wanted to hear. I conferred w/ my husband & we agreed that someone who tells us things just b/c they think that is what we want to hear isn't someone we want to do business with. I told the buyer that while we appreciated his interest, we prefer to do business w/ someone who is a straight shooter. My mind is telling me I did the right thing, but why do I feel so guilty?? I am looking for a sporting home for this pup. Could I have missed out on placing her in a good sporting home?? I did ask this guy a bunch of questions, as I do all applicants. Many breeding gamebred lines don't ask questions of buyers anymore. Maybe he thought I was a humaniac or something. He lives in an area rife w/ gamedog activity. What do y'all think? Was I right in denying this guy my baby? Was I wrong? PM me if need be.

And before anyone asks, it was a litter of 4. We kept 2 & 1 went to a friend. :)

2. Bakercloud

Bakercloud Big Dog

With only one going to the general public, there should be high standard for the new owner. Place the pup where you know it'll be raised right.

3. PDigital1

PDigital1 Pup

Well, in the future you might want to consider meeting with the buyers in person, this way you can get a better feel of their character.
    Just a suggestion.

4. SFK

SFK Top Dog

There is only one question that matters. Who are your references?

5. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Thanks for the info guys.

I always try to meet potential buyers if I can. But due to dog theft problems we have a closed yard & many ppl aren't willing to drive 4 hours to chat in a Chevron parking lot! And those that do can still fool you. I am sad to admit I've been fooled more than once by a fanciers who put on an act that would have won them an Oscar.

Good point about references. But I have still been burned by ppl w/ references, so I choose to ask them my own questions as well.

BTW, I found out he does his hog dogging in S. MS. Doggers are getting busted left & right down there & not selling to him may have saved us from getting busted for intent. Plus, he lives in N.W. LA. After what happened to Mr. B I don't think I will place any of my babies in that state.

Looks like it was good we did decide to pass on this guy. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2006
  6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Hog trials are still legal in MS. They cannot "bust" them.

On the other note, if you feel even the slightest bit uncomfortable in releasing a pup/dog to someone, then don't do it. Go with what makes you comfortable.

7. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Yes, they are techinally legal in MS. But participants can (& have been) charged w/ animal cruelty & had their animals taken.

8. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

yeah if it doesnt feel right move on thats the whole idea behind interviewing its like a job interview youll find the right person u just have to look

9. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

We train our dogs in MS (b/c it's illegal here) & have even had some unwanted onlookers, but there is nothing they can do if you have bay dogs, catch dogs, & hogs & are training. It doesn't fall underneath the animal cruelty act there.....yet.

However, I'm off topic, so back on topic!

10. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Check out these links Mia ...

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/press_releases/mississippi_attorney_general_releases_opinion_on_hog_dog_rodeo.html

http://www.picayuneitem.com/articles/2004/06/13/news/01hogdog.txt

http://www.peta.org/Automation/NewsItem.asp?id=4517

A bill to make hog dogging outright illegal has already been introduced & passed the state Senate. once it passes in the House it will be against the law in MS. to do any type of hog dogging. But in the meantime they are busting folks on animal cruelty charges.

But as you said, back to the topic - thanks for all the great advice, I really appreciate it!

11. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Hmmm...... Thanks. ;)

12. toddrock

toddrock Big Dog

You did the right thing. You as a breeder have an obligation to place these pups in good homes, and not with just anyone who can come up with the cash. Be discerning in your selection of possible buyers. It's the least you can do for the breed.