1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Who keeps an GB dog as a housepet

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Coachmcewan, Jul 15, 2011.

1. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I don't think anyone is saying these dogs can't kill kids they can and they do. I am fully aware of what I own and I know no amount of training will remove the years of history bred into these dogs or the instincts animals in general have I am not one of those delusional f ucks who does not understand what kind of dogs I have and what these dogs were bred to do. However If you are a parent you should have some basic common sense you should already know that animals should never be trusted alone EVER around small kids no matter how well behaved they are it does not matter. But that does not mean these dogs need to be kept out on chains away from human life all the time either that is not the only way these dogs can be raised ... these dogs are very adaptable as history has proven from the nanny APBT's to the box dogs who were also family dogs. I think anyone with good common sense knows that any animal has the potential to bite or kill an adult or a kid but that does not mean we shouldn't have dogs around kids what that means is parents need to get their heads out of their asses and be responsible parents stop letting their little brats fuck with their dogs inappropriately pulling tails, hitting them, messing with them while they are eating, messing with their toys, jumping all over them, and stop letting your dogs babysit the kids while your in the other room or out in that yard. A lot of kids are not even taught how to respect animals in general. I have watched kids in pet smart run up to strange dogs and pet them without asking the owner for permission first. I have seen kids jump on dogs like trampolines this shit is completely unacceptable but I blame the parents not the kids.

2. willypete

willypete Big Dog

you can blame who ever you want but its just the facts ( dogs kids and parents ) and it can happen to even the best parent and kid dogs will be DOGS . im not saying you cant do it im saying it not a good ideal .. and the history you speak of is the is not the norm you will find more that should be chained than should be house pets

3. venom

venom Top Dog

yeah, its like the people who argue in the dog aggression threads and always bring up the few dogs who could walk the yard and eat out of other dogs bowls lol. just cuz u read about it doesnt mean your dog will emulate it. exceptions are never the rule.

4. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I have no issues with chaining if I had a whole shit load of bulldogs they would be out on chains. But I do not feel that these dogs can only thrive out on chains if they are kept outdoors they need to be chained for their protection. But they can also be kept indoors crating and rotating is very sufficient when your not able to supervise or if you have multiple bulldogs that need to be separated because of DA issues which should be expected anyway. I never once said these dogs can't kill or bite a kid I said it happens it could happen with mine I am fully aware of this but that is not going to stop me from keeping dogs in my home with kids because I have enough damn sense to train my kids how to act around dogs and never leave my kids alone with dogs. Being proactive and using basic common sense can prevent a lot of bad shit from happening. I could walk outside and get hit by a car today does that mean I shouldn't leave my house? No of course not. Be smart if your going to have these dogs or any dog around your kids use common sense. That is all I am saying.

5. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Very true.

6. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

If your breeding and raising performance bred dogs for sporting purposes than I agree working dogs that are actually working should be kept out doors most of the time it conflicts with their role as a working dog to have them in the house lounging around they are not pets they are working animals being used for that purpose and should be treated like working animals. But if your keeping these dogs as pets then you just need to make sure you understand how to care for them properly. I understand most people truly have no use for these animals and most doggers would prefer these dogs not be in the hands of pet owners or the hands of the general population period. And I would agree with this and understand the reasoning behind this as these dogs were bred for gladiator sports not for show in tell or to keep as pets. But if your going to keep them as pets than you need to understand fully what you own and feed these dogs are like owning loaded guns and need to be kept responsibly. People will argue they shouldn't be kept as pets, they shouldn't be bred for the show ring I have heard all the arguments about these dogs. I really don't care as long as I am responsible for mine that is all that matters to me.

7. venom

venom Top Dog

I see what you are saying and understand your point, this is how you keep your dogs. And to each their own, people telling you that you shouldnt keep one how you do because of the nature of the animal is no different than the humane freaks tellin people they cant own one due to that same nature. There are obviously two extremes in owning these dogs... those who keep their dogs chained with little to no interaction (which is what the house pet ppl keep hinting to), then you got those who we are hinting to... like the guy who said they make great babysitters!! Lol. I dont know if he meant that literally... probably not. but there are some who actually do this type of stuff. So really its just finding a balance of what works for you... but it doesnt take any kind of enticing or a childs wrong doing for them to be killed by an animal... the concern is the children. the little ones who cannot stop the animal and could be seriously injured or killed even while you are being that responsible owner.

8. Boze

Boze Top Dog

put it this way if you keep them in the house and train them and are as smart or smarter than any other breed. now as far as biting they geme dogs and i mean real ones bite no more or less than any other dog . now would i let a small kid and a yard dog in the house no but that goes for all out door dogs wen a dog is pout doors people let more go as in jumping nipping and just plain craziness i dogt give a shit wat dog it is all this talk that a if uve been around real bulldogs long enough u will get biyt is bure fabricvated bullshit and plain common sense raise any breed of dog form a poodle to a doberman and of course some will bite plain in simple it is a numbers game if you are around dogs for years no matter wat breed accidents will happen. but most outdoor dogs are not trained period they are allowed to do wat they want wen they want which is fine because they are outside. evedry bulldog i have seen that was raised in the house has been fine and i have seen a few hell my nephew has grown up around my dogs and he falls on the damn house dog sometimes and the dog dont move. these dogs are not stupid they dont mistaake kids for prey who ever thinks that is an idiot they go by smell not size and kids to them smell like we do so whoever came up weith that theory needs to do some readin. any dog any time of any breed can bite and will so watch ur damn kids and watch ur damn dogs end of story

9. dayair1

dayair1 Big Dog

You know this is a tough one for me. And I am definitely an advocate of being on the safe side. And although I have been around these dogs awhile now. I will not pretend to know the typical nature or behavior of all the different strains, or blood lines, or their off shoots. I can only go on what I have owned, or been around. And the vast majority of them where all, "except one female that I can think of", where very stable around all humans. And she was put down because of it.
    And Sadie, I think you made a very good point by indicating that you need to teach your children how to conduct themselves around animals.
    Like you said; don't bother them while they are eating, don't pull on them, jump on them, hit them, run screaming, ect, ect. I never really thought of it before, but that is most like as big of a factor, maybe even bigger,than the dog itself.
    So in summary, I think most people should always error on the side of being safe. But don't be so paranoid that you would treat an otherwise very stable, loving dog like it was "Cujo", and not show it any human love and kindness.

10. Boze

Boze Top Dog

another thing take any dog as a pup and raise it in the house and u will have a house dog, and keping them in the house will not hunder a real working dog history is filled with dogs raised in the house and if you look at the history books of the greatest dogs like tornado virgil centipede zebo bloero twoeyes, etc etc all were house dogs or spent the majority of time in the house a real bulldog dont care where he is raised as long as he is taken care of and does not live in a crate and it wont change his work ethic

11. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I completely agree with you! and I believe in breed preservation how it's supposed to go down. But I will not risk my freedom to do it and leave that to the few real dog men left doing what they do keeping the hounds honest ;). I know there are a lot of idiots who own these dogs and shouldn't. And the pet owners are responsible for a lot of the issues that surround this breed not the dog men you don't see dog men on channel 5 news because their dogs broke loose off the chain and killed a kid or someone else's dogs they are behind the scenes doing what they do. It's always some clueless pet bull fuck who gets one of these dogs because they are sadly now very popular and does not understand the breeds genetic makeup so basically they go into the dogs blindsided. I would like to think I am not one of those people I have surrounded myself with some very good dog people who have taught me more than I could have possibly expected to learn. And I am still learning everyday half of everything you learn is from hands on exp the other half is from your fellow dog folks who know more than you. I love my dogs for what they were created to be bad ass fighting machines that I will never know if they are game or just curs LOL but I will treat and care for them as if they are already game dogs. You can never let them get ahead of you if you do your thu LOL.

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yes and a lot of parents do not teach their kids to respect animals I have seen it way too many times. It all starts at home you have to train and house break kids too LOL. I saw some kid get killed because the parents were not watching the 3 year old and she ventured off into the yard and went to see the dog on the chain and it killed the kid. I don't know they said it was a "PITBULL" which is not even a breed it could have been anything for all I know but this is the crap I am talking about how do you not know that your 3 year old is out in the yard? I always child proofed my house when my kids were little. I never walked out of the room and left my kid alone for a second because all it takes is one second for something really bad to happen. Dogs are like babies IMO they need constant supervision and care. I see people always trying to glorify these dogs as saints there is nothing pretty about a dog who was bred to rip apart another dog in the box. I think people should just be honest about these dogs and accept them for what they are or don't own them.

13. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I was pretty sure about Tornado and Virgil being house dogs. But I didn't know about the others mentioned good to know! Thanks

14. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I wanted to add mine have all been very stable as well I personally wouldn't keep a skittish dog around the house because I have kids if it was me by myself that would be different. But the ones I have are very good with the kids that goes without saying they are still dogs and could at any given time act like dogs and I wouldn't be surprised if something happened it would be my fault.

15. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

lmao you were sorta onto somethin until you added the "does not live in a crate bit". either he does care or he doesn't.

16. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

The Zebo in the house thing worked out really well, didn't it?!

17. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

being in a cramped area with no space to move for long period is not good for any dog.

18. Boze

Boze Top Dog

as far as the crate i mean just like 24 7 and never getting attention

19. Boze

Boze Top Dog

actually it worked out great it was not untill he left mountain mans that the kid got hurt im am just saying that any dog of any breed can be a house dog if raised in the house for an extended period of time and zebo was a territorial dog from all the stories u got in his chain space and he went at u that shit starts from a pup but since the people who had him first had him outside they prob did not car i woukld bet more than half of these so called maneaters showed sighns as pups that could have been taken care of but when u runa yard of 30mnplus dogs sometimes u mniss things and dont have the time it aint no ones fault it is just the nature of running a large kennel and it would happen with any breed of dog

20. IM000445.jpg

Exercise is the key in keeping a GB dog in the house, if you wear them out, they are too tired to do much silly shit..JMO