1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

white apbt`s

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by lockjaw, Feb 12, 2006.

1. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

:confused: ok those of you that own a pure white even lets say seventy percent white apbt...do you have skin problems with the dog...i want a white pitbull just because ive always wanted one...but people have been telling me its a big mistake...in the past there have been some really nice ones..(king cotton)ect..:confused:

2. I don't have a white one but I have a seal male that we have dumped big bucks in due to allergies.
    http://www.freewebs.com/farrawayfarmpuppies/
    This kennel has a big thing on it about white pits and skin problems. They breed white pitties.

3. I have a 4 year old solid white rednose pit and have never had any problems with her skin.

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Might as well buy a "rare" blue if your going to limit your selection of dogs to color.

5. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

some of those males look like american bulldogs..yeah my red nose has problems with fire ant bites..he gets bit on the toe and his stomach breaks out..thanks there sketch makes a pretty good tatoo..:D

6. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

i said apbt..;) and of course not looking for any white dog..or i would by a poodle..

7. sajoseph

sajoseph Pup

My APBT is considered black and white, and I'd say she is more white. She doesnt have any skin conditions, but is allergic to chlorine. We had her tested last summer when she was itching and rashed. We concluded that the swimming in the pool everyday and not rinsing her well enough was bad! They drew blood and concluded it was chlorine.

With that being said, it is not skin problems in general, just an alergy. We even rinse her w/ bottled water after baths due to the high level of chlorine in our water supply(city water) just to be on the safe side.

Now I also own a 15 yo, mostly white, and never experienced ANY problem w/ skin anything.

Not relevant, maybe relevant, but I also have an all white peke who has been suffering from major skin problems his whole life. He really needs to be put down, but a 13 yo's heart stands in the way.Look at the pic. My red peke has no problems, wonder if it is just a "white"dog problem in general, no matter what the breed???[​IMG][/img]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2006
  8. Farrawayfarm... WHAT A JOKE :rolleyes: ...... 100 lb RARE BLUE EYES :rolleyes: LMFAO..... i have 2 white APBT's father and daughter.... they are not SOLID white... both have chocolate spots on there ears... and i have NEVER had a skin problem outta them..... its all about genetics...altho i think it is wrong to buy or breed for color... why is it you want a white one?? is it cause u think there "rare" ?? or they are perty ??? or WHAT ?? dont buy for color... buy for temerament,ability,gameness,stamina etc..... "PURE" white APBT have redish eyes, pink skin and no color pigment what so ever on them.... that is when ya run into problems most of the time..... :D

Attached Files:

9. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

there's a difference between "pure white" and "albinoism" in a dog..its the albinoism which has "red /pink or blue" eyes and no pigment to skin..solid white dogs can have black or red noses and usually a lighter color eye... you want to stay away from the albinos for sure BUT there is also a connection with an all white dogs to hearing issues and blindness..

Skin problems.. I have a dog with lots of white and sunburn is the biggest thing I face with him. I think it also depends on the reasons the dog was bred..bred strickly for color then yes, you will probably have problems, bred for working, prob not many to none.

one other note: If you keep your dog outside, Fleas especially are more attracked to light /white colored dogs ...

Honestly, I see no problem to use color as a deciding factor if the dog /pup was bred correctly in the first place and carries an equal chance of being good as the rest of the littermates. Thats not the same as picking a pup just because its "pretty" or your favorite color.. when all important factors are there, nothing wrong with it.

10. 1Pit_ManyLuvs

1Pit_ManyLuvs Big Dog

Well as the co owner of the daughter in that father/daughter team Southernland spoke of...:D I can say Lexi has a great coat....mind you she looks more light tan right NOW then white lol Snowy weather + white coat + a dog that loves to roll in mud = a not so white dog....

Her coat is thick and she doesnt have any problems with itching, sunburning, hot spots or anything.

I have pictures of her in my gallery.

11. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

alot of the books that i have read talk about some of the best gamedogs ..most where white..i know bs..its just been one of those things that i gotta have..i guess you could say i think there perty..theres just something about a white pitbull coming out of the dark..like a ghost a spirit of greatness..ive always seen dogs i wanted but shyed away because of them being white..and im not saying i just want any back yard pit either..must be well bred..colby,corvino,ect..

12. Cnote

Cnote Banned

Why not for color? Why not for a dog with all those qualities and then get the color you want? I'm sure they have those characteristics in all available colors, right?

13. SisMorphine

SisMorphine Big Dog

I'm wondering the same thing. I mean yes saying "Oh man, it's white, I gotta have it!" is the wrong way to go about it. But if you say "I want the temperment like _______, the drive like ____, and a _____colored dog" I don't see the issue.

Just for color = wrong

But if you add color into your list of "the perfect dog" and you're willing to wait until that dog comes around, I really don't see the issue.

Just as breeding solely for color = bad

But if you have dogs that have awesome temperments, drives, etc and you say "Well I know if I breed A to B the pups will be mostly brindle, which is what I want" again I don't see the issue.

14. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

WTH ???? Yeah they sound like real responsible and "Knowledgeable" breeders

<!-- ParagraphStart 58562920 --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#012a60">[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]<!-- ParagraphTitleStart -->Farr Away Farm Kennel`s Winter of 2005 Litter <!-- ParagraphTitleEnd -->[/font]</td> </tr> <tr> <td>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    <!-- ParagraphBodyStart -->
    [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Farr Away Farm Kennel *HOME OF THE BLUE EYED PIT BULL*
    [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BREEDING ANNOUCEMENT!!! HOOKA & PRETTY have been bred!!!!!!! This much awaited litter will go fast. Prices will vary depending on eye color and final determinded color. Prices will start at $400.00 to $550.00. [/font]

</td></tr></tbody> </table>

15. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

having a color choice is not bad but you have to haev a list of other qualities too. i wouldnt want it to be number one on my list but its in the top ten.

Since i do rescues i play around and see what kind of dogs are out there and then its comes down to which one strikes my fancy. Because im picking through all the dogs that are left.

16. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

white pitbulls are easy to sunburn and some do have genetic problems or maybe deaf,,, it took me a long time to get mine ,,, your wanting all the quialities and have tio find the right one,,,,white ones are not rare,,,and finding the right one may take a while,,,just be patient and find one that do not have a list of genetic defects with it,,, i,ve been lucky with mine and not had really any issues other than sunburn,,, during the summer,,,[​IMG][​IMG]

17. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

That really isnt an issue to most people...you will find we had a site-wide poll on "favorite color" awhile back, it took awhile for people to even answer a color because we all know its the least important thing to look for. Its all preferences with all else being equal. The sad truth is...things are rarely ever totally equal and your hurting yourself by sacraficing on a dog that may have more flaws than others in the litter, but its *insert whatever color here* so its o'k. Buying a dog just because its white is no better than buying a pup because its blue. Some white dogs will be o'k if bred to the right stud/bitch and not to "double up" on the white gene. Its a fact that white dogs more frequently carry genetic health problems. Also, its a fact people are breeding for white dogs, because "they like how they look". That is just as wrong as breeding two fat blue curs together because you like the fat blue cur "style". If you are deadset on a white dog, best be set to wait, and wait, and wait for that perfect dog to come around. You know a good place for white dogs? Rescues.

18. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

It has been proven that white bull terriers, pits, boxers, and other breeds tend to be at MUCH higher risk of skin problems as well as other problems associatted with partial albinism. The dogs, horses, pigs, any animal are this way, pink skin is the weakest and black skin on these animals are much healthier.

19. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

it may take a while for u to find what ur looking for but if you get what u want the first time then u'll be happy with it

20. my bad...it should of said DONT JUST BUY FOR COLOR...

when i got keelo outta my hemphill/wilder/ofrn bitch (red/brindle/RN) bred to a jeep male ( buckskin/RN ) i was shocked... all of her pups were 90 % white... not a one to this day have skin probs... and lexi come from KEELO bred to my colby/jeep bitch ( buckskin/BN ) she to has no skin probs nor does she sunburn ...no blindness and no deafness.... maybe a lil hardheaded.... and they both have been outside dogs since damn near birth :D .. the point is... if your gonna pick white as ur color preference make DAMN SURE you are gettin it from somebody that hasnt had NO PROBS with non of there gene pool..and you are less likely to have probs with ur offspring...