1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

which offers best to breed????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by catchdog, May 3, 2010.

1. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

hog huntin(pure apbt catchdogs/gamebred dogs, no hippos) or dog showing(aadr adba)?? Ive done both, wanna hear your input on which would offer more input to the breed?:Das far as any regard is concerned?

2. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

Can you elaborate?

3. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Conformation doesn't prove anything, it's just seeing how much the dog matches a written standard on physical appearance... Hog hunting is slightly better, but not what the breed is intended for. :P

4. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

yeah conformation is just a Strider look alike contest, the greenwoods developed the standard off him

5. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

i thought the standard was based off a colby dog?

6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

My answer would be neither, Blau aready explained why.

7. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

out of those choices i would go with the working dogs versus the show dogs but if i wanted hog dogs the i would prob get a breed more suited for hog hunting...

8. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

like what?apbt is the best choice for catching hogs.but hell if you got a better idea, id like to hear it

9. TwistedMettle

TwistedMettle Big Dog

but catching hogs is not the best use for an apbt ;)

10. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

*Gold Star*

11. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

I think Dogos would make a better catch dog. BB I know the AKC set the standard for the Am staff off an old Colby dog but I never heard what the show standard was set by for the ADBA but there are some dogs that don't look good that are ALL bulldog and some that perfect the criteria that ain't got a bulldog heart in em. I'm sure gameness can be a good trait if you hunt pigs but I also think gameness can be easily lost if you're breeding for the purpose of hog catching. I'm sure there are a lot of barnstorming curs that would catch a hog but hog hunting doesn't prove gameness in anyway, only prey drive and if you don't breed for gameness you lose it eventually.

12. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

everyone already knows they were bred for the box, thats not the question. i'm pretty the man's askin which activity produces the best dogs legally. personally, i want a dog that can catch, well-structured/and tempered. an all around dog. a dog that can run down a fox and fall asleep next to my kid that night.

13. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

B, i believe the standard for the American staffordshire was based off the old Colby dog, "Primo" if i remember correctly.;)

14. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

well if i misunderstood i would say hog hunting just bc its a working breed. But they both are fun bonding experiences for the dog and the owner. I know nothing about hunting but if i werent into that i would prob do both.

15. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Either way if you breed for a hog dog or a show dog you're deviating from the original standards and will eventually end up with a huntin dog or a show dog and not a game dog.

16. tony413

tony413 Big Dog

dogo argentino

17. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

whats wrong with a well bred working AB? no sarcasm intended, im just curious. we have no wild hogs here, so i have no real experience at all, but wasnt that something the AB was bred for?

18. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Catahoula are known as "hog dogs" same with curs & redbone. mixes with AB make for first class catch dogs with really no downside. because that's what they were bred for catching hogs & for the most part there is very little training. now i wouldn't consider myself a hog hunter,but i do go out once in a while with hog hunter friends of mine. been to "uncle earls" back in the 90's as well as a few rodeo in indian town. the best dogs were mixes & the folks that had apbt were pretty much the "hardass" type that were more show then go.

19. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

see if you can find a bull arab, they kill it over here plenty of wind ,nose and they can bay and hold with the best of any of them, unsure wheather they export them from oz thou.

20. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

couldnt agree with you more about the original standard...the catbull(catahoula x apbt) seems to be the dog of choice around here for catching. most apbt people go solo.