1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Which dogs created the APBT?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Envy's Mom, Feb 19, 2007.

1. bandog billy

bandog billy Big Dog

2. bandog billy

bandog billy Big Dog

These breeds were coined staffs by the general public. Red cocaine,where you from buddy,never have i heard of pits being called staffies,pitbulls were common as muck in the uk pre ban,do you think im talking about amstaffs or staffs(uk) ??

3. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Billy ever since the early 1800's every "pit" or fighting dog was generically called a staff... Not Staffy Bull, NOT amstaff, just called "staffs" because Staffordshire england at that time was a hot bed for dog fighting it's was where all the big timers went to fight/pit there dogs. Back then there was no such thing as a "pit" (EDIT) as a breed of dog... for the word "pit" at that time ment Fighting and the Place where the fightong took place.... It would of been saying "this here dog I have is a Fighting......" That makes no sense in our language. So the "pit dogs" / fighting dogs were coined Staffs because of what the region was known for. Understand???? This breed when first recognized as a breed by the UKC was first call the American Bull Terrier.. American = place of origin Bull Terrier = breed composition and ancestry. Then a few fanciers wanted the JOB of the breed in the name, some wanting the word Fighting, others wanted the word Sporting, yet still more wanted the word PIT because everyone knew what pit ment and it was easier to say, so they added the word pit to the name but only in () so it read American (pit) Bull Terrier.... This didn't happen until I think the late 20's early 30's of the 1900's

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  4. bohawg00

bohawg00 Big Dog

Hell ya sounds good to me!

5. bandog billy

bandog billy Big Dog

Fuck me red,ya gotta be having a laugh surely? Do you know what a pit is red,lets get that outta the way first,what does pit mean ?????

6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Its the famous 16' x 16' box used for K-9 warriors......... I have also read about dogs back in the day being called staffs because of where the breed was said to originate.

7. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

So back when they used these dog's for the competition of ratting contests. The word "pit" did have any effect on the name at that time?

8. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Yes billy I know what the word pit in all its uses mean...

TO "pit" something means to fight to animals together...

A "pit" def. (1) is the place where the fighting takes place...

Def. (2) a ignorant slang used to label a breed or type dog baring certain phisical characteristics.

Take or leave what I have to say but I'm not going to keep going over and over spelling out and dumb down every little detail for you.

So agree to disagree or just move on. This thread should of died a while ago.

9. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Ratting was not a very popular sport here in america... Is was truly a peasant's sport... But you needed a MUCH smaller dog for ratting but I'm sure that Some ratting dogs made up the breed's composition

America is where THIS breed started... Bullbaitng was also not popular here...
    BUT dog fighting was and immensely so.

See the whole fasit of the dog fighting sport changed once the fighting dogs came over here.

Over there each family or group of people made or had their own unique strain of fighting dogs, they bred, kept and culled their own, and never hardly sold their prized fighting stock out side their hands, for they didn't want to give an advantage to the other guy and most times the others didn't even want each others dogs because they wanted to prove THEIR line THEIR breed was better, they would all get their best dogs and have a derby, they made the sport from gambling but the english looked at it differently than us Americans. Its hard to explain their personalities toward this.

But once the fighting breeds came to the us they were for the first time crossed and enter bred with each other, and as we all know colby believed in breeding best to best and not pure line to pure line just for the sake of having them pure. Well he and several other got these dogs and didn't make money pitting and gambling as much as they saw a market for these pit dogs and thus the whole old way of doing things changed, lines were crossed to create the Superior fighting dogs of that day, and after generations and generations of breeding best to best the ApBT is what we have today in the game lines. Super gameness, super ability, super mouth, super dogs, BUT if we are not careful we can and might loose this breed thru what we may think is diligent and precise breeding. For once something Is gone it is truly gone forever, extinct and never to surface again.

10. bandog billy

bandog billy Big Dog

oh!!!! sense my angst rc,see if this sinks in kay,a pit is a mine,a place where they got coal from,still do,staffordshire had a lot of mines,you still with me ???agk ,yip thats what i heard/thought as well,where they came from. Miners work in pits rc,do you wanna start callibng them miner bull terriers ?? or staffordshire pitbull terrier or or....

11. bandog billy

bandog billy Big Dog

See the whole fasit of the dog fighting sport changed once the fighting dogs came over here. Nah,what happened was folk had more land,therefore could keep more dogs,an the greed set in, ;),and your right ,am finished talking about this as well.

12. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

I could give a damn what you call em' or what Breeds made em' just give me an Honest Dog is all I ask of them. Understand?

13. bandog billy

bandog billy Big Dog

Baby dropped her rattle :D

14. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Are you on crack or something? What you say doesn't make a lick of sense.

15. bandog billy

bandog billy Big Dog

I could give a damn what you call em' or what Breeds made em' , :confused: well,there you go mate,i thought this thread was about what made up the american pitbull terrier Yes billy I know what the word pit in all its uses mean... no you dont :p i was only trying to help out buddy,i didnt think youd take fuckin offence,many many apologies to you Red(an you got some fine lookin dogs yourself).

16. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

Banjo billy is hostile and needs to be more open minded !!
    I don't see any Dalmatian in this http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30956,you all i see is a nice APBT type dog . If any thing Dalmatian's pull from APBT SBT but im not sure since the Dalmatian may be an old breed i need to look into it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  17. i dont know. but my thought of recreating somthing similar would be.
    a Very very high quality Male GeyHound x a very very high quality female bullmastiff. Wind x strength. and since the off spring will most likely be about 100-145 pounds. mix a very very high quality female fell terrior around 15 pounds to the best offspring male . :p. this jots the dogs down to about 35-65 pounds and should "Look" like an American Pitbull terrior.pretty nice structure along wiith it aswell. and if your into a nice shaped head this might also be an attribute to the dogs.
    u would most likey have a pretty good stamina, good working excited dog that lookz like an apbt.

any thoughts?

18. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

You would kill your female if you bred her to that mutt.

You take the small male to a big female.

19. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

When you consider dog overpopulation and decide to bypass the issue
    Certainly a person with a dream could create a dog that makes a dream come true
    But I think the APBT dog has some thing to hard to duplicate, a lineage that at the very least started with the Greeks flowed over to the Brits back to Rome and back to the Brits
    For 2100 years of gladiator work .Hunting protection and dog fighting. Us mere mortals take to much credit for the creation of the APBT one way or another its been here for a long long time , think about it , a sub species of dog that has captivated generations of humans with interest as long as Christianity I say this with all due respect.

20. 'don't know what you are talking about man! I never saw a Kangal with cropped ears and spiked colar. The documentation I refer too comes from a study made by a NGO on dog abuse....