1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Where to draw the line?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by spliff, Jan 6, 2010.

1. spliff

spliff Big Dog

i have a 3 year old spayed female and a 16mo old male.one of there favorite things to do when together is play fight which i have no problem with.the thing is lately my female has been jumping on his back and humping him.would you allow that or step in?

2. bdub

bdub Top Dog

sounds to me like she is showing dominance over your male

3. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

shes gonna dominate him as long as he ll let her. just be ready for the day when he decides to no longer tolerate it. my two housedogs go thru this too, but i do prevent it from gettin serious. these dogs love to play rough, let em have some fun

4. spliff

spliff Big Dog

yeah i know that,my question wasn't why shes doing it.its should i allow it.

5. spliff

spliff Big Dog

oh i do,i was really just looking for some opinions and other peoples limits with that sort of thing.hes 16mo but hes still very puppyish when it comes to that sort of thing.although he is usually the one to start shit.

6. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Don't be surprised if they get into it real good. Watch them closely because something will eventually happen. Learn how to break up a fight and buy a breakstick. If you keep playing with fire, you better be prepared or you are going to have two injured dogs. I wouldn't let them play with only one person around either. If they do get into it, it will be a bitch breaking them up yourself.

7. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

agreed, i guess i should have worded it "let em have some fun as long as its still just having fun";)

8. Jrouble

Jrouble Big Dog

As others have said, when he reaches maturity, be prepared for him to give her a good working over.

9. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

I would seperate them and not let them play anymore. Why risk both dogs getting injured over play fighting that will lead to a real fight. 16 months is the age where he's hitting social maturity and he will not tolerate her dominating him much longer. Why play with fire longer than you have to, I would seperate them from here on out unless on a leash. JMO

10. Robber

Robber Big Dog

It kind of depends on how he reacts to it. It is normal for them to do that when they are first introduced to each other, sometimes for a few days or even weeks until they work things out. The fact that she is doing it now after all this time suggests that his behavior is changing a bit(as expected for his age) and she feels the need to put him in his place again. If he is OK with it and accepts it, then fine, it should subside within a few days. If it continues, then she isn't satisfied that he is giving in to her, and it could become an issue...

11. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

I have a similar situation, i have a 3yr old female (spayed ) bandog and a 4yr old intact game bred pitbull, since the pitbull is intact, every chance he gets , he will hump the female, but now , the female humps the male just asmuch lol, this only happens when i release one from their chainset up and under supervision, just one growl is enough for me to break it up and put the other dog on his chainset up.

12. AGame

AGame CH Dog

i have 2 bulldogs in the house a male and female and the female does the same thing to my male and has for over a year they are both 3 years old he tolerates it the whole time but he is a layed back dog as long as it isnt another adult male he doesnt really get to tore up but on the other hand if the male does it to the female without her being in heat she tries to tear him apart but in over a year of them both being in the house they have never had a serious scrap he gets the point as soon as she lays that one growl down and back off her

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  13. scooter

scooter Big Dog

Yep, my story is very similar. I have a grown male and female in the house. They roughhouse a great deal. She is quite a little wrestler and fast as lightning too.
    She humps him more than he humps her unless she is near to coming in heat. Then he humps more and acts like a goofy teenager in love. She won't allow him to get very vigorous with it at that time.
    He is very tolerant with her and she keeps his legs tore up all the time.
    But all this is under supervision and they are not out alone nor do they eat together. At this time , he is the KING, and doesn't tolerate any foolishness.
    He is also dominant with his humans as well. She can lay in my lap only if he is ok with it, if he isnt, he roots her out unless I stop him. Then he pouts and goes his way.
    The dogs have established a good working relationship with everything and I supervise it all. She respects him in all things except play and then he is very tolerant.

14. my two year old female jus started doin the same thing with my four month old pup, now all of a sudden every chance she gets shes tryin to hump him

15. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I never let my dogs hump each other. Too much of a fight trigger.

16. jeepfreek

jeepfreek Big Dog

lmao ..she made him her bitch ...lol ...its a common thing no wories :D