1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Where Does Merle and Black and Tan Come From

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Brothermarree, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

Just wondering.

2. the_flamingo

the_flamingo Top Dog

As far as I know black & tan has always been around. I saw a link somewhere... I'll try to dig it up for you. I don't know much about merle though, someone else may know.

3. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

I'm sure someone is going to post hell any minute now, lol.

4. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

5. the_flamingo

the_flamingo Top Dog

6. pitbulllvr25

pitbulllvr25 Big Dog

From reading post #4 Raven would be concidered and blue and white merle?right?
    check out her side profile in my gallery.

7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Raven looks like a good dog, hope your happy with her. Yes, she is merle. I dont know if you know this or not but that is no longer a recognized color for registered dogs as they have determined that this color is a result of breeding in cathoula(sp.?) leopard dogs at some point. Either way, just dont breed her, love her to death, and you should be fine! I really didnt like merle dogs until the last couple of pictures I've seen, namely yours and Luigi's and carolinaboys dogs, but now SOME OF THEM are growing on me. LOL.

To add some input on the black and tans.....although most will think this is a mix between rottweiler or doberman or such to a pitbull its not true. This is a recognized color and is quite common in certain lines. So to sum it up.....black and tans as far as studies can show are purebred dogs, while merle dogs are in some point in the lineage mixed with usually a cathoula(sp.?) leopard dog.

8. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

14rock---You almost got it! "Catahoula." :) A rockin' breed, by the way---although I don't think it should be mixed with pit---messes up the temperment.

9. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

how does it mess it up ?

10. CB

CB CH Dog

LMAO it dont mess up the temperment except i seen alot more drive in my merle then the other kinda little pit bull pup's i been around. Hey rock im glad there actually growing on you a little bit hahaha. And you cant register them in ADBA but i do know you can register them under B.F.K.C (Bonafide Kennel Club) But my little merle is registered under ADBA somehow. The color that is on her paper is grey and black LMAO. But all you merle owners dont get down on your dogs color. Just remember this its not the outside that matters but the INSIDE of the dog :D .

11. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

12. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

however, for people who hunt, particularly hog, (which I'm not into at all---rescue person here---trying to save the world)---the Catahoula look to be a good partner. :)

13. CB

CB CH Dog

But it looks to me like a Catahoula dog is a working dog not like the Pit bull but almost. So why not mix them and make a nice little dog that can work. I think its because health issue's and all that junk. I owuld WAY rather have a Merle that then a HUGE blue Wannabe Pit bull. So do i call my Merle a pit bull,NO, i just call it a merle not a certain breed.

14. CB

CB CH Dog

Thats what im saying and when my girl gets old enough i will take her in the woods and let her hunt a hog to see how she does.

15. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

I usually call mine a mess, lol. I love him to death , but he is proof that messing around with genetics isn't always a good thing. Lots of medical problems. : (

I do love those Catahoula though. :)

16. CB

CB CH Dog

I havnt really had to many problems with mine except the itching thing.

17. pitbulllvr25

pitbulllvr25 Big Dog

14ROCK - As you posted in #6.

I do plan on having her fixed next month. I was reading on the merle pitbulls and noticed that UKC and ADBA nolonger reg them because of the possibilty of the Catahoula. I was still able to get her ADBA papers because she was born before Feb.21 2005.Her birthday is Dec.24 2004, so she just made it. lol. But she is my baby and I love them both VERY much. They are spoiled rotten, like they should be. Raven is a very good dog, so is Candi, and I am very happy with them both.

As for the temperment thing. I don't know it to be absolutely true but I have heard it said that the Catahouls can be very aggresive towards strangers, but I have never met a Catahouls so I don't know for sure.
    I haven't had any health issues with her, but she does have an AWSOME drive, I've never had her out hunting but, when she sees a cat or something she goes nutts and won't stop trying to get it until I put her in her crate for a while. I have a tree in my back yard and her and Candi chased my neighbors cat up it. Candi gave up after 20 min. but Raven jumped and barked at the cat for an hour until I finally brought her in. She just won't give up!!!
    Anyway, I do love her to death and don't worry I won't breed her. lol

18. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

Yes, the Catahoula can be tough with strangers, and they like to "guard" (people, food, toys, etc.). I have quite a few cats, so it took a very long time to train him and my other pitty with the kitties. ; )

19. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Pitbulllvr25, is Raven a platinum merle or do you call it something else. My Rebell is supposed to be blue merle, but he looks like a seal merle to me.

20. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Luigi, my merle is a little guarded also. He can also be a little spooky of people. Likes to bark and show his teeth, but never seen him advance, except on another dog.