1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the best kennel?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pitbullaz, May 13, 2004.

1. pitbullaz

pitbullaz Pup

ive owned an unregistered pitbull for about a year now and am interested in investing in a registered game dog with a great bloodline....i havent much experience or knowledge of the great pit bull bloodlines and am searching for any helpful information

2. KnOck

KnOck Big Dog

Now I can't tell you which kennel to go to; that is something you have to research and figure out what exactly you are looking for. There are alot of good kennels out there, with some real good dogs. You have to ask your self what traits are you looking for? Certain bloodlines carry certain traits. IE..mouth, wind and so forth. Take your time in doing the research so you can find exactly what you want..;) Go to Lawless and check some kennels out or look in the links section of this site. Contact some kennels and ask questions. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here as we are all happy to help out :D

3. very true.

4. Jrluke

Jrluke Pup

That's really tough to answer because it really depends on what your looking for, what you're willing to pay for it and how you rate "costumer service" when it comes to judging a buisiness transaction of any sort. Being from the East not really the South though most people think of it as a Southern state, West Virginia, then moving to the other end of the country to Oregon I can say that there is a generalization I can make about West Coast dogs to East coast/Midwest dogs. Of course there are exceeptions and this is no hard and fast rule but it seems that aside from Texas, there is a greater concentration of gamedog breeders in the Southeast. Look at North Carolina by itself and it speaks volumes on that point. You just don't see the big heavy dogs, and the blues being bred much in the Southeast. As far as I can tell they breed for things other than gameness such as, quite simply, looks. Other things like weight pulling and things like that but some of those dogs are so huge, my American Bulldog isn't that big. Anyway, there are guys spread around the country but just take a look at a few pedigrees. What dogs do you see, and who breeds them. Go all the way back and see how they started their program and you will see common dogs in the origins of many of the well know breeders programs but at some point they made their own cross, which began their own bloodline and the same way they started their are breeders out there now that are doing the same thing. Taking some successful dogman of recent years' bloodline and gradually and hopefully intelligently doing an outcross that reinforces some desireable traits maybe adding something new that was unforseen somewhere hidden in the genes that manifested itself by that specific outcrossing and then the idea is to preserve those desirable changes and hopefully understand how they came about through the breeding of two distantly related bloodlines. All of this takes years and luckily a dog's lifecycle is significantly faster than a humans so that an individual who puts many years breeding dogs and learning about genetic science or if you prefer gain a sensibility of what two dogs will produce.
    After all that I'm curious if anybody knows of any good breeders in West Virginia currently? Of course the Appalachian Mountains start down somewhere in North Carolina run through parts of Virginia, pretty much all of West Virginia, some of Ohio, Maryland and starts to peter out as they move north in PA and the Northeast. Point is I can get down to North Carolina in 4 or 5 hours unless I'm going toward the Atlantic which is a little further. I'm looking forward to getting back to WV, getting out of the city and back to the country, before my folks get to old to party with me. Enough said but any of you WV dogmen give me a shout and let meknow where you are and what you've got going on and maybe I'll have to look you up when I get back. I'm only 3000 miles away. J

5. ^That was looong, good advice though.

Also, on this site, are some people working with good blood. Maybe you won't have to look any further, but i'd definately do some research first...and listen to these other guys, and then judge from there.

6. GYD

GYD Pup

My biggest piece of advice is don't rush things. What I mean by this is that sometimes when we get anxious we tend to overlook important aspects of certain things and may compromise on one thing or the other.

Make sure and do your research first, when it comes to the dogs..you can never learn enough. There are some great sites on the net that have some stories about different bloodlines that have evolved throughout the years, the good and bad and the offspring that are producing now. Once you get an idea of which line (or traits) appeals to you is when you can find kennels you are interested in. Personally, I enjoy being able to pick up a dog from someone..so location may or may not be a key factor in your decesion making.

You asked what is the BEST kennel, but there are too many variables to even answer that question correctly. There is no wrong or right, just a matter of opionion.

There are MANY good dogmen and women out there who are doing the right thing. But, unfortuantly there are also many out there who not. Good luck in your search and keep us updated!