1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

whats the best feed to give a apbt

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by middleweightch, May 31, 2006.

1. i use diamond now but is there something musch better i wanna get the best proformance outa my dog

2. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

I feed Timberwolf and Bravo Raw Blend

3. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

IMO, if you want to do the work and make sure you do it rigth, raw is the best. I love Timberwolf as well as far as kibble goes. But I think a good raw diet can't be beat.

4. Attila

Attila Guest

toss them live chickens and rabbits and they get the work out too.

5. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

In all honesty, it really depends on your dog/s. I have tried many different feeds unitl I came across what I feed now. I would measure it by how many times a day you feed vs. how many times a day your dog/s has a bowel movement. Any dog should not have a bowel movement more times in a day then it eats. If you feed twice a day then your dog should poop once or twice a day. I wouldn't just ask what to feed. It is better for you to give your dogs at least 2 months or so on different feeds and monitor its' results. I went through only three different feeds, including RAW before I chose what I chose. The reason I say wait 2months or so for results because you have to give the previous feeds time to completely pass through the system.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2006
  6. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

Timberwolf is the best in my opinion. My dogs have never looked better.

7. asaj

asaj Big Dog

My opinion is, raw food is the best, if its feed the right way. If you think raw food is giving your dogs uncooked meat, alone.Then thats not for you. Feeding raw means also vegetables, herbs, vitamins, supplement ect. Its not difficult, but you need to know what you are doing.

8. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Interesting suggestion but vague on important details. I never fed my animals anything live ( other than bugs to lizards ).

I really wouldn't suggest this. People who aren't too sharp might read that and easily take advantage of your suggestion in bad ways. Some very ignorant and immature people might see that as an invitation to let their dogs have their way with whatever they decide. On a nutritional basis, I wouldn't want to chance my dog getting parasites from an animal of unknown origin.

I HAVE fed my dogs DEAD animals from the store. Raw, whole chickens are very healthy, parasite free, already dead, no feathers or ugly clean-up and they still require quite a bit of jaw and neck work from the dog. You also don't have to worry about neighbors calling the Humane Society on you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2006
  9. Attila

Attila Guest

Well in doing that you have left out the inards. I worm my livestock and poultry. I eat them too. I don't feed my livestock and birds steriods, pestisides, and growth hormones that tend to lead to cancer. Strait up grain, and free range. If you don't worm your live stock and poultry you run risk of parasited too. I don't buy meat from stores. Half the time they are raised up to the last few months on the fecal matter of the others above them in levels of feed lots. And given chemicals to make them grow faster. I don't have to worry about neighbors calling anyway. I don't live in a city. Nor would I. Around here we grow our own food. And we do worm our animals. Commercial out fits don't often because the chick to butcher time is only 6 weeks. It takes a normal chicken ten months to get that size. Feed your dogs what you want but I wont touch that store bought stuff. No more clean up than when I butcher them. Probably less. They get whats left over from my sheep. Store bought meat has a tolerance level by the USDA for impurities. My farm does not.

10. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I figured that you did this in a responsible manner and I'm 100% with you on the health benefits of personally farmed meat, my best friend is about to be a dietician and I really hope to never consume store meat again with those frikkin nitrates ( nitrates are a preservative that are 100% proven to be cancerous... the only reason it is approoved is because it is not cancerous until after you eat it and it's in your body ) meat that does not have nitrates goes bad VERY fast.

My concern was that someone would read your statement and use it as a passport to do whatever they want with their dogs ( as far as feeding it live animals ). There's a lot of bad public image about pits eating other animals and kids "baiting" these dogs with furry kittens or the neighbor's poodle, you know how kids get carried away and do stupid things. I hope you get my jist. I knew you had some reasonible way of handling it in YOUR yard and that's only because I'm a game-dog forum geek who is aware that you are responsible. Others might imagine entirely different images of throwing random creatures to their pet pit bulls. Most of them probably don't have nice, healthy hens like you do either. That's all.

I fed the organs too.. well, the heart, liver, neck and giblets. Not in the baggy of course.