1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's The Best Dog Food For Your Money?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Deep south, Dec 22, 2004.

1. RHI

RHI Big Dog

We feed Canidae, also, like Innova, Chicken Soup, some other good foods also posted,
    we also put chicken on our dogs food, solid gold seameal, missing link, salmon oil, flax oil, vit. e and canola oil.... suppliments are'nt really needed with these foods, we just choose to add......we tried the barf diet, lots of prep. Cosco carries a food thats not bad if cost is an issue right now, I'm trying to think of the name, I'll post later....

2. *blackrock*

*blackrock* Big Dog

Pic of pup fed canidae...

I agree I feed canidae to all my dog's works great!! I would definatley recommend it....Here is a pic of my 10 month ole pup, been fed Canidae ever since...notice how shiny his coat is...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. *blackrock*

*blackrock* Big Dog

My other dog fed Canidae also...

So, I swear by this food....This pic is just him not being worked at all just siiting in his kennel, Canidae seems to really cut a dog up...IMO.[​IMG]

4. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

I just switched back to chicken soup for the pet/puppy lovers soul..my dogs seem to do better on it than Canidae, don't get me wrong, Canidae is a great food and i would reccomend it, i just didn't see the results as i do with chicken soup. Every dog is different though. Chicken soup is a few dollars more than canidae..one thing i noticed is stool difference..chicken soup disolves in one day, as where canidae takes a few days for my dogs..Also i feed less chicken soup than i did Canidae...Chicken soup uses fresh meats as the first ingredients..fresh chicken and fresh turkey..they also use fresh duck and frest salmon, as where canidae uses chicken meal and turkey meal and fish meal...they pretty much have the same stuff, just chicken soup uses fresh stuff...but i would reccomend both foods and it really depends on your dog...some dogs do great on Ol' Roy!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2005
  5. *blackrock*

*blackrock* Big Dog

Tht's true lololol, I have seen dogs' ripped of Ol' Roy pedigree and everything else!

6. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

"Chicken soup uses fresh meats as the first ingredients..fresh chicken and fresh turkey..they also use fresh duck and frest salmon, as where canidae uses chicken meal and turkey meal and fish meal"
    That is because "meal" is better than "fresh" in a kibble!

7. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

I think BARF is better than all kibble...but like i said Canidae is a great food, my dogs do better on chicken soup though...but i would reccomend either foods. The fresh meat disolves their stools quicker with my dogs...but i'm not trying to start an arguement..just from my personal experience with both foods, my dogs do better on chicken soup..but Canidae is close behind. and it would be my 2nd choice!

8. Ive tried various brands but the best for me is black Gold , its not too expensive and the dogs love it, i was able to cut about a third of my food bill because it goes farther with less food, the dogs stool are tight and not bad smelling like other brands that ive tried < some brands you will feed a cup and end with two cups of crap or so it seems not so with this brand though , it works for my dogs. Also during hunting season my dogs get lots of deer meat and bones , during that time . I also give them a little cod liver oil for their coats and skin and it brings out the shine in them , no skin rashes , no dull coats , no skin problems at all .

9. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

I use to feed a poison just like Tex said, called SportMix, I thought it was good from reading the ingredients... but upon suggestion and advice I researched what Tex said and he was right, Now Im feeding Canidae. A little research wouldn't hurt ...its all here somewhere in another thread. Tex wouldn't lie to you and tell you to feed your dogs something that wasnt good or lie when he says it is poison. He is telling the truth and my dogs feces and urine are considerably less smelly. PH balanced is the key there...And Im feeding a ton less.

10. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

Ive went through dog food after dog food..LOL The best results I have had with kibble has been with Sportsman's Pride Professional dog food. I swear by it and wouldnt switch for the world. My dogs have done excellent on this food and their puppy food is great too. Everyone is gonna use what works best for them.
    http://www.sportsmanspride.net/home.html

Attached Files:

11. *blackrock*

*blackrock* Big Dog

Welcome back misterdogman!

12. socks

socks Big Dog

same for me....i used to feed what i thought was good food in pro pac, then diamond, but i eventually started listening to tex and learning and he won't do you wrong

13. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

where can you get canadae? never seen it around here.

14. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Unfortunately if you are like me and living hours away from the nearest retailer(Petsmart, Petco, etc) then you need to order it, you can do so directly from their site for the cheapest price I've found. Other places may sell the food cheaper but it equates to more with their shipping charges.

15. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

that's what's crazy,,i've got pet stores all around me and have never seen it. maybe it's just put back in a corner somewhere. i'm using natural choice right now. it's good,,but if there's better... what's the cost usually run for a 20lbs?

16. RHI

RHI Big Dog

Some feed stores also carry it, also, specialty pet food stores sometimes....

17. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

You can go to a local feed store and have them order it for you...a 40 lb bag of canidae for me was 30 bucks...

18. DEADGAME14

DEADGAME14 Big Dog

i also use canidae and get it at our local feed store. alot of places like petco and petsmart dont carry shit that i use for my dogs and charge a arm and leg for anything i would buy.
    i pay 30 dollars for 40 pounds. i think that is decent.

19. 440rider

440rider Guest

go to canidae.com and find local dealers there are a few in the Bham area. Also, you can order it from local clinics no extra charge.

20. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

damn..i'm payin $30 for 20 lbs of natural choice!