1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's The Best Dog Food For Your Money?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Deep south, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Empire

Empire Big Dog

I don't know if any one has heard of Premium Edge dog food. I use to feed it to my dogs (the purple bag) and it has the Diamond logo very small In the front of the bag.
    http://premiumedgepetfood.com/

2. CRD

CRD Big Dog

They said that all dogfood are the same. Not for pitbulls. my choice should be protein not less than 26%.

3. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

What is with all the food posts today. I generally rotate my dogs food. I prefer the more natural choices. Something people may not realize is that when you feed a high quality food you actually feed less because the food has more usable ingredients. These are some of the brands I have tried but the one that works the best for all of them as a group so far seems to be California Natural.

California Natural, Timber Wolf Organics, Solid Gold, Canidae, Innova, Natural Balance, Azmira, Wellness

4. Tikki

Tikki Pup

Out of all the foods that I have been able to work with I prefer Blackwoods. It is a Premium food and cost is middle of the line. Also it has a "Magnum Performance Diet" Blackwood 7000 it is engineered for High Stress Conditions.
    Protein 34% Fat 25% Fiber 4% and Moisture 10%. Works great. I use their Blackwood 2000 for daily feed. (Protien 26%). They also have a step down with price and it is called Adirondack. Both foods have done well for me for the last 5 years. Hope this helps

www.blackwoopetfood.com

5. powder925

powder925 Big Dog

http://www.evolvepet.com/

I have switched to this dog food a while back and I noticed a huge difference in my dogs coats(more shine and less shedding)

6. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I've tried that Evolve.... not bad.

7. SpencerPits

SpencerPits Big Dog

BTW - I've started adding fish oil to my dogs' diet to help with their coats. Like I said, the only negative difference I've seen with my dogs on Diamond is that their coats aren't as shiny. Anyway - the fish oil seems to be helping a lot. Coats are extremely soft and starting to shine like they did with the Nutro Ultra. So, Diamond dog food, and fish oil - still a lot less than Nutro dog food, and I'm getting the same results. ;)

8. FireBone

FireBone Big Dog

Diamond and some olive oil on the food works well too it puts a nice shine on the coat also

9. lytegray

lytegray Pup

How much olive/fish oil is optimal per serving?

10. I feed my dogs Bil-Jac. Isn't that brand good? It comes from the vet.

11. keyser

keyser Pup

Great and informative thread, I found this while searching around, I cant validate anything here but it seems rather informative. Quiet a nice little run down on food for your bully. Just scroll down a lil bit. If this link us a repost I apologize in advance.

http://pitbullcomputers.5u.com/Pitbull_Stuff.htm

12. I'm a true supporter of Nutro dog food!!!!!

13. I would love to feed my dog Nutro but I don't live in a big town and the closest place that sells it is 1 1/2 a way, at PetsMart. Is it really that good of dog food?

14. JohnsonKennels

JohnsonKennels Big Dog

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Mix these and watch your dog power over all, clean shinny coat and tons of energy. and you can feed it to all.
    thats 60lbs. of everything your dog needs, under $40
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

15. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

You can mix all them Diamond dog foods together and you end up with the same thing…Cheap, useless, garbage!

16. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

What I found to be the best is Natures Variety. It costs alot but an adult shouldn't eat much more than a cup a day. Here are the contents for the Venison:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
    CRUDE PROTEIN (min.) 26.0%
    CRUDE FAT (min.) 16.0%
    CRUDE FIBER (max.) 8.0%
    MOISTURE (max.) 10.0%
    CALCIUM (min.) 1.95%
    PHOSPHORUS (min.) 1.41%
    VITAMIN E (min.) 129.0 IU/kg
    VITAMIN C* (min.) 50 mg/kg
    OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS* (min.) 2.34%
    OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS* (min.) 0.65%
    *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

CALORIES
    356 / cup

FATTY ACIDS
    LINOLEIC ACID (Omega 6) 2.32%
    LINOLENIC ACID (Omega 3) 0.57%
    ARACHIDONIC ACID 0.04%

VITAMINS
    CAROTENE mg/kg 5.63
    VITAMIN A IU/kg 19220
    VITAMIN D IU/kg 2430
    VITAMIN E IU/kg 130
    VITAMIN K mg/kg 0.75
    ASCORBIC ACID mg/kg 50
    THIAMINE mg/kg 11.21
    RIBOFLAVIN mg/kg 7.349
    PANTOTHENIC ACID mg/kg 17.72
    BIOTIN mg/kg 0.448
    FOLIC ACID mg/kg 0.505
    CHOLINE mg/kg 2137
    VITAMIN B12 mg/kg 0.1
    VITAMIN B6 mg/kg 4.4
    NIACIN mg/kg 63.61
    IODINE mg/kg 3

MINERALS
    SODIUM 0.403%
    POTASSIUM 0.699%
    CHLORINE 0.886%
    MAGNESIUM 0.28%
    SULFUR 0.21%
    MANGANESE mg/kg 30
    IRON mg/kg 201.2
    COPPER mg/kg 11.75
    ZINC mg/kg 255.4
    SELENIUM mg/kg 0.308

AMINO ACIDS
    METHIONINE-CYSTINE 0.753%
    METHIONINE 0.438%
    CYSTINE 0.373%
    LYSINE 1.117%
    TRYPTOPHAN 0.205%
    THREONINE 1.514%
    ISOLEUCINE 1.078%
    HISTIDINE 0.269%
    VALINE 1.23%
    LEUCINE 1.956%
    ARGININE 1.917%
    PHENYLALANINE-TYROSINE 1.045%
    TAURINE 0.0%

Prairie Brand New Zealand Venison Medley is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile for All Life Stages.

INGREDIENTS
    Venison Meal, Millet, Pumpkin Seed, Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Montmorillonite, Natural Flavoring, Amaranth, Quinoa, Blueberries, Cranberries, Inulin, Freeze Dried Lamb, Freeze Dried Salmon Oil, Papain, Rosemary, Sage, Fermentation Products (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (a source of Vitamin C), Carotene, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Folic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Ferrous Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, and Vitamin B12 Supplement.

My boy eats about 1.75 cups a day and he is 8 months. He free feeds too. So the price isn't all that much when you think about how much actually fills em up.

17. fyremyst

fyremyst Big Dog

Ive been feeding my 6 months old pits purina puppychow in the purple bag. Not sure if its the best for them or not but they are doing great on it their coats have shine and are soft and they have energy out the wazooo. So until they get older, thats what they are gonna eat

18. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I just tried a new food. NOT cheap but awesome. It's called Timberwolf Organics. Two of my girls have a problem with dry coat and it is very hard to find a food that alleviates that. I like to rotate their food so I like having a few they do well on. On the Timberwolf they were wickedly shiney. Here is the website....
    http://www.timberwolforganics.com/

19. MR PITS

MR PITS Big Dog

Diamond all day!!

20. The best diet I have ever found was the BARF diet. The drawback to it is that it takes a bit of prep work, but if you do it in large quanitities it wouldn't be bad. BARF is bones and raw food. Raw chicken necks, backs, wings, turkey necks, innards, beef scraps, hearts, all kinds of good and yummy stuff. Also veggies and fruits added in, however these must be purreed (sp?) as the dog can't digest the fruits and veggies in their whole form. We had our dane on it, and he did great. He had severe food allergies, and couldn't eat hardly any processed foods. It can be expensive to feed the barf diet if you don't have access to butchers and such. When we were in Alabama, it was quite inexpensive to feed, now that we're back in the New Orleans area, it's difficult to find suppliers. We currently feed Purina dog chow (not my first choice, but it's what I can afford right now). Also, my dogs are not athletes by any stretch...LOL...they're biggest athletic workout is jumping off their california king size bed and going to the backyard to potty.