1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's The Best Dog Food For Your Money?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Deep south, Dec 22, 2004.

1. O.D.

O.D. Big Dog

GOOD LOOKIN TEX. I TRY TO KEEP MYSELF ABREAST OF ALL AVAILABLE INFO, BUT ALWAYS APPRECIATE ADDITIONAL INFO.

YOURS IN SPORT,

O.D.

2. powder925

powder925 Big Dog

I agree that chicken meal would be your best choice when deciding bettween diffrent types of dry food but you have to wonder how much nutritional value is left in the chicken meal after it goes through the high temp procesesing step twice(once to make the meal and once to make the kibble).the more I have research for the best dog foods the more confident I am about that feeding a raw diet prepered at home is the best way to go and probable is even cheaper if you buy in bulk and mix up a big batch and freeze in single serving sizes.

3. pit stop

pit stop Pup

Natures Variety uses a process that does not subject the meal to the high temp's that others use. It is meat based with no corn or wheat.

Texas, it is obvious that you have done your homework. I have been using the Canidae with great satisfaction, and just switched to my first bag of Natures Variety. I will let Ya'll know how it does in a couple months. Another premium kibble is Timberwolf but it is only available in certain parts of the country.

Pit Stop

4. Norvell57

Norvell57 Top Dog

whats everybodys opp. on purina HI Pro

5. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

Hmmm... well, IMO, if you think about about what we (me... in my daily experiance) put into our bodies on a daily basis, some if this godamn slotter house scraps they call dog food isnt horrible.... note it sure as hell isnt good...
    lol anyway... i just wanna know what kind of dog food is best... like i had said in another post, i recently just switched to Nutro MAX.... I am seeing improvements in my dogs in a weeks time... whatever tex said, is true.... cheap does not mean quality.... i feal bad that i fed my dogs what i did for so long....

6. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

Hmmm... sounds like all dog food SUCKS SERIOUS ASS!!!!

7. I will agree totally with you. I suggesst for everyone to use black gold as it has 30 percent protein in the sporting line. that is the highest that I have ever seen, plus i believe it has aroun24% fat. chicken or lamb is usually the first ingredient. alot less dukee to clean up. that is for sure. even if it came out to be alittle more expensive my time is worth alot of money in the line of business that I do and I would save alone just on that concept.

8. GT99

GT99 Pup

From what I have read I thought that you should choose the "meat" over the "meat meal" I know that the "meat By-Products" were bad but I thought that the meal was as well.

I have never seen Canadae in any stores here in Canada (super pet, pet value, petsmart etc.) So I have not looked at their label.

Tex, you seem to know what you are talking about, I have been looking for the best food I can. I feed puppy food right now as the pups are only 11 weeks old but the vet says they look great. I feed the Iams because it had "chicken" as the first ingredient. Other than the Canadae which I have never been able to find here (maybe its only in the US?) What would be the "best" foods available that would be in a place like "petsmart" or common stores.

As I have said in other posts, Price is not a factor as I just want to feed them the best. I am pretty new at dog nutrition and have just started looking into it further while my pups are young, I do not like changing food because it is too hard on them, so I want to find the best now and stick with it until it is time to switch to "adult" food (would like to know thoughts on the best puppy and adult food is you can)

9. powder925

powder925 Big Dog

I also had a hard time finding it were I live also but I ended up finding it a Best West.When I went to buy it the casher told me that it was the last bag they had and that Canidae had gone out of business,I then phoned Canidae and they told me best west was full of shit and that they were looking for more distibuters in my province.So I guess I am shit out of luck until someone out here decides to stock it.I decided to feed Kirkland super premium from Cosco mix with raw meat(fish&chicken) instead and my dogs seem to be doin great on it.

10. I guess dry food is about believing...
    Dog's got the sam genes wolves got but no wild animal would go and stuff himself with cheap cereals as most dog owners do with their dog.
    Sure many dogs never have problems living on industrial food, but in the last years I find more and more diabetes problems and early deaths and allergies...
    How come so many dogs are allergic to dust???
    Same thing you can see in children. Growing number of allergic kids.
    When I got my dog, he didn't touch dry food, he didn't touch canned food, so to prevent him from starving next to his full bowl I started researching and feeding meat, first cooked and then raw.

In general I'd never feed a kibble produced by a global firm like Nestle which is Purina or Johnson and Johnson. They make human food as well and probably what they can't use for humans will go into the production of kibble. I know of a food for pigs by Nestle with strawberries and cream flavour, that tells it all!

But for holidays I had to find an alternative. I liked the sound of Timberwolf, it had a a high protein(26%) and fat lever(16%), he got twice the amount recommended and he lost weight.
    And even though I find it the best food on the market, it's not for my boy.

Expensive doesn't mean good, but cheap mostly means bad.
    Put some effort into researching dogs' nutrition and then look closer at the labels of what you feed. Sure your dog doesn't have to get health problems on some foods but it's more likely that he will...

11. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

too high of protien will kill your dog.. the body cant break down all that protien and will cause liver damage

You cant blame all allergies on food..since alot of that stems from bad breeding, too. If people didnt breed dogs with allergies or health issues and were more selective with animals they bred, there wouldnt be so many issues

Companies like Purina (while they do make some cheap dog food like puppy chow and dog chow) have invested millions into research (HAve you ever seen the Iams videos of how they treat their test animals??)

Further more, we'll use the wolve issue again. Wolves will eat just about anything they can get..including sick and dying animals (since they're easeir to catch)

Maybe many of the problems stem from the same reasons why us humans have so many allergies. Pollution, stress, plus all the growth hormones, anitbotics, etc they feed and give our cattle, chickens, pigs in the first place

Not to mention dog food companies arent under the same regualtions huamn food companies are..they arent required by law to list ingredients by highest amount

12. pit stop

pit stop Pup

For what it is worth here is the scoop on Nature's Variety Kibble. 24% Protein, 14% fat,3% crude fiber and 10% moisture.

ingredients: beef,barley,brown rice,oatmeal,chicken fat,flaxseed,menhaden fish,suncured alfalfa meal,montmorillite,flaxseed oil,freeze dried beef liver,freeze dried salmon oil,sweet potatoes,cottage cheese,apples,carrots,peas,whole eggs,kelp,parsley,artichoke,inulin,rosemary,sage,clove,lactobaccilus acidophilus fermantation product,bifidobacterium thermophilum fermantation product,enterococcus faecium fermantation product and a host of the usual vitamin additives.

the main thing that seperates this food from other kibbles is the "bio-coating" on the outside of the kibble. Bio-coating is a process that enrobes kibble with freeze dried meats,organ meats, and nutritious oils. This coating replaces bio-available enzymes,amino acids,essential fatty acids,probiotics,vitamins and minerals otherwise degraded or lost during processing neccessary to produce kibble.

I am on my second bag of this food and the "Doose" seems to approve.

13. Deep south

Deep south Big Dog

Why don't we all get together and petition the F.D.A to make dogfood companys to have to go by the same standerd's as human food companys
    just a idea and i know i dont spell well so someone else would have to write it but i would be more then willing to help in any way posable

14. Empire

Empire Big Dog

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice Formula :)

15. SpencerPits

SpencerPits Big Dog

I used to feed Nutro - it's a great food (I like the Ultra best, then the Natural Lamb and Rice, then the Max), but it is too damn expensive! Diamond dog food is just about as good, and it's a fraction of the cost of Nutro. JMO.

16. Empire

Empire Big Dog

hmmmm Diamond dog food? Tru the ultra is very expen$ive.

17. SpencerPits

SpencerPits Big Dog

Yea - my dog's coats aren't quite as shiny as when I fed Nutro, but with 8 (soon to be 9) dogs, it adds up quick! I currently pay $23.99 for a 50lb bag of Diamond. And I recently found out that I'm paying a high price for the Diamond. A friend of mine gets hers for $15. I'm going to shop some of my local feed stores to see what kind of prices I can get. ;)

18. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

I also use Nutro for my dogs, i've tried different kinds and it seems the best so far. It's readily available in most stores and does great on the coat and skin. when I take my dogs to petsmart on the weekends, people always ask how their skin and coat is so great, I mean if they are looking better than most other dogs walking around as far as coat and body tone, then that has too mean something. I see alot of people buying cheap crap and their dogs look like crap as a result. I guess to have to study the nutrition labels in these foods aliittle to make a smart decision. I will take more notice into that from now on.

19. Empire

Empire Big Dog

Tru Bluepitt50, you buy cheap crap you have crap for a dog. :D

20. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

Only use Diamond here. I've tried other brands and never get the same results.