1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What you have heard verses what you know.

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by ziggy311, Aug 1, 2014.

1. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

To me it's about having as much 1st hand knowledge about each & every dog in the pedigree as you can.
    Save time ,money & un wanted future breedings.
    Not hearsay but actual hands on experience.
    The more you have seen the less you guess about.
    No one really has to have a bunch of dog starting out but every one should know as much as possible about the dogs they feed.
    This can be a major factor in future breeding's.
    If I had to recommend anything to someone just starting out I would say that less is more.
    If you start out with one or two blood lines in creating your own family instead of 6 or 7, you'll know more you'll know more about your dogs .
    There are many of different ways to breed 3 dogs from 3 different families with out breeding a full/bro & sis or a parent to a child & if you use & learn them you won't breed yourself into a corner as quick as if you didn't.
    Just my thought is it's better to see each dog in the pedigree than ask about each dog in the pedigree.

2. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

You may be pointing out the obvious to most of us, Ziggy, but you are exactly correct. Especially to the greenest of novices. Although obvious to those who have been through such, novices do need to hear these basic and common sense words of advice.

Familiarity increases our insight in a big, big way. Hearsay merely decreases our actual insight. This is why I always recommend as many sights seen as possible, and as much actual, up front information on what you're seeing as possible before you jump with all fours into something. This process takes some patience. Unfortunately, patience isn't something I or anyone can teach another. We can only tell them how important it is, and why.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  3. STONEY

STONEY Pup

whole lot of truth....

4. bounty

bounty Big Dog

shouldn't the thread be called "What You Have Heard V's What You THINK You Know?

5. cf3

cf3 Pup

or... reality vs perception

6. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I see no reason to change the theme. The OP made a good "one vs. the other" point. Why pose a "hearsay vs. yet another shortcoming" scenario? That would be pointless indeed. I think his opposing situations were excellent to point out clear choices for new comers.

7. cf3

cf3 Pup

what does OP mean? it takes years to do what he simply stated. figure at least 2 to 4 years per generation to actually find the best to breed and then to maintain an accurate breeding record to boot. i certainly agree with less is more. ziggy has alot of knowledge and i as a young man looking for a mentor, enjoy his posts because how he writes is similar to how my mind works in a way...he doesnt really have a clear concise point...yet there is much to be found in his words...kinda like a finger pointing to the moon...doesnt do no good to look at the finger...

8. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Means original poster. In this case, Ziggy.

9. cf3

cf3 Pup

thank you tdk