1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What would you pick for a "wilderness survival dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Lee Robinson, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson Big Dog

What would you pick for a "wilderness survival dog?

This topic came up on another forum, and it is something I think about quite a bit. I made this post on that forum and thought I would cross post it here. When making my "selection" for such a dog off my current stock, I DID consider the age of the dogs, so while I both have and have had other dogs that would do well, as my yard is RIGHT NOW...

If I had to choose a "wilderness survival dog" from my yard at THIS TIME, I would pick...Little-Hurtin. She displays tremendous confidence, high loyalty, is highly athletic, and has a great balance between power, agility, and stamina. He can hunt and guard...her metabolism is reasonable...as she stays alert but is not bothersome. At approximately 80#, she is big enough to endure reasonably cold weather (down to zero), but light enough in frame and mass to endure hot and humid 100 degree Mississippi weather VERY well and still be active (been there...done that). She has enough leg for speed, but enough muscle for combat without running hot. She is tight in the body, but with just a bit of dewlap for protection on the neck. She is one of my favorite up and comers at this time. (Pictured below at 21 months...and she is not "conditioned" in these pictures, but in just a typical maintenance keep).

Chimera's "Little-Hurtin"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Re: What would you pick for a "wilderness survival dog?

What exactly do you mean by wilderness survival dog? Not tryin to be funny just haven't heard of this term.

3. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

better drink my own piss

4. Rolloboymick

Rolloboymick Big Dog

Let's all make up some shit, so we can pump up our crossbreds! A crop eared, tail docked wilderness wonder! I bet pups from her are available real soon... Maybe from a wolf! Even better wilderness dogs!

5. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

i'd take a stag hound, they can catch anything from squirrells to deer.

6. Rolloboymick

Rolloboymick Big Dog

I do like the bitch, despite the nonsense. Good for one of our Brazilian crosses to hump to make more security dogs maybe, but that's all. In the wilderness here kangaroos would use her for a football. She looks part Tosa, and when did that breed last hunt or live rough?

7. Rolloboymick

Rolloboymick Big Dog

Nice choice. I'd like to try my brothers Ovtcharka dog over one for hunting dogs. That dog only shows up at home to leave dead wallabies on the doorstep. A wallaby is a short and stocky close relative of the kangaroo, and make great eating.

8. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson Big Dog

Rolloboymick, get your panties out of a bunch. No sales pitch here. Like I said, but apparently some people here overlooked...THIS TOPIC WAS CREATED BY SOMEONE ELSE. I just thought it was interesting, as it is something I think about. If you would like to see the original author of this topic, check out molosserdogs. It is just a freaking post about a topic that SOME PEOPLE might find interesting. If you don't...that's cool.

I breed a family companion guardian. By that, I desire a dog that can be rough and protective when needed. I like prey drive because it helps in training. I like a good nose, but don't really select for one...but I have noticed use of their nose seems to come natural with several of the dogs we have. We have had dogs do catch work as well. So, I feel the statement "hunt and protect" is merited.

I don't live in the woods full time, but I do spend a lot of time in such...as a hunter, bowyer, and outdoorsman. This is why I chose to purchase land in the country instead of live in the city. I have a good feeling of what I would want (the traits already mentioned above).

By "Wilderness Survival dog," I am NOT referring to a feral dog. I wouldn't want such a dog. I am only referring to what type of dog would you want to live with if you had to live with a dog for any length of time in a wilderness situation. Enjoy.

9. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

I like her Lee she's a sexy beast! I'd still go with my little rbj male, if I'm gonna go survival mode I'm taking my boy with me.

10. Re: What would you pick for a "wilderness survival dog?

I would take a Newfoundland. That way if i got hungry I could eat for a few weeks. Also, if I had to pull a Luke Skywalker, the cavity free of viscera would keep me warm.

11. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

Well, seeings how I DO live in the wilderness, haha...
    Ill still take my bulldogs. Sure, maybe a little small for big stuff-but if they can hold I can knive

12. RRL

RRL Top Dog

I was thinking the same thing,but didn't want to be the first to say it.I already own a ton ton sleeping bag tho,it's packed w. my bug out bag.

13. hardluck

hardluck Banned

thats a good looking dog there. im sure that dog would out do any other guard dog breed out there at the same weight. its a fine looking dog.

14. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson Big Dog

hardluck, thanks.

Lakewood...lol.

15. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yep Me too!!! LOL I would take my Bogart with me he has crazy prey drive and he's smart and listens lol Plus he keeps me warm at night ....

16. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Well if I were going into survival mode that means shit has really hit the fan, and me and my wife,kids, and the ones closest to me have gone into hiding/survival mode......I would take any dog that crossed my path....reason for that is we either are or will be hungry at some point in the future.
    I love my dogs, and do the very best I possibly can by them and always will, but if my family or the ones closest to me are in survival mode you can bet that if there is no other way to eat and carry on they will be sacraficed for nourishment.

If I was just going to keep dogs because I was choosing to live in the wilderness I have 2 that I honestly couldn't be happier with....they are my pride and joy as far as dogs go, and are hands down my 2 favorite animals I have ever had the pleasure or honor of owning. They would be going as far as just pure enjoyment.

Then if I was going to use a dog to hunt with and keep as a tool it would probably be a patterdale. Because of their compact size, abilities, food consumption, energy/drive, smarts, and many other reasons. They are by far one of the most suitable survival tools you can have if you had to have a dog with you.

Good topic, Lee.

17. Rolloboymick

Rolloboymick Big Dog

Lee, I do like the dog, for what you said its bred for, and ok, maybe I misinterpreted or read too much into your post about her, and if so I'm sorry. I still don't think that type dog would be great in a wilderness survival situation, but then I'm looking at a different wilderness than you, with different wildlife. I guess since you are choosing only from stock on hand, what you're saying about the dog is fair enough. I live on 7000 acres of bushland and find leggier shaggy coated types do better in the bush. But each to their own, as I said, I do like the bitch.

18. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson Big Dog

No worries. To the best of my recollection, I have never posted a dog for sale here. Perhaps I am forgetting something, but I don't recall doing so...and I certainly don't have a habit of doing such.

I live in Mississippi...which is heavy with woods, thorns, ticks, fleas, and wildlife. Mississippi doesn't have much cold weather...for our winters here are mild, but rarely it may get in the low 20's. Summer heat is however a killer for some dogs. So, short slick coat helps with heat and also allows for ticks to be quickly detected. Also, slick coats generally allow the thorns to apparently slip by, as our dogs are never bothered by such.

The scenario of "wilderness survival dog" will vary from one person to the next. For one, it might be a companion while being lost. For others it might be a "way of the wild" where man and dog work together. In this day and time, I can't help but think the main reason I would ever "need" a dog to "survive with" in the wild would be due to a collapse of civilization due to war, tyranny, economic collapse with extreme crime, an EMP pulse, or something crazy...in which case I would want a guard dog that could hunt...but guarding would be my primary reason in such a situation...and I wouldn't be against eating a dog IF it became necessary as a last resort. I would however resort to boiling various plants, any type of game I could gather, and even grubs and eating birds I could pick off with a 22lr before looking at my guardian K9 companion/tool. I like their predatory nature as well. As mentioned, if they can hold it, I can stab it (or shoot it)...and we have had a few dogs catch a few boars/pigs, so I think they would serve well. I wouldn't expect them to run down deer...for I would likely lose my dog...but I could use them to track wounded game that I had shot with a light weight packable rifle such as a 223 or 22lr (if I had to). Having a dog tied outside a make do shelter to alert us could be invaluable to work as an alarm...and I wouldn't want a dog that was easily injured.

19. Re: What would you pick for a "wilderness survival dog?

Nice post. Let me just say, for those parameters, I would choose a PB. That would be my go to for every situation. In a colder climate, I would have to take something like an Mountain Airedale. That would be my choice.

20. Kristi

Kristi Big Dog

with what i have now it would be my boy. he's a decent alert dog and is very loyal. But if i could have whatever dog i wanted i would have to pick the great dane we had when I was in HS. He was an excellent guard dog but not so overly aggressive to strangers that you worried bout ppl stumbling on to him. He patrolled naturally and was a great hunter at least for the smaller stuff. i do believe if given the chance he would have taken to boar hunting like a duck to water.