1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What to know your guys conditioning methods

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Mpeartjr, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Mpeartjr

Mpeartjr Pup

I have my females she is 2 1/2years now . I used her mainly as my catch dog when hunting & she did pretty good she was at 50 now she at almost 74 . I kept her with my mom for a while while I was away in college . & she blew up . I have her or sports mix and her daily swimming routine . She loves to work . But I would like your guys opinions on what I should do next.

Attached Files:

2. frogs

frogs Big Dog

What will you be feeding her?

3. Mpeartjr

Mpeartjr Pup

Sports mix black bag

4. frogs

frogs Big Dog

Average feed. IMO if you're only feeding one dog, it's junk. Anyway how old was she when she was at 50 lbs.? What I'm getting at is finding her ideal weight, then going from there. If it were me, I would feed her 80 percent of what she would need to maintain the 74 lbs. (1.48lbs). Then work the piss outa her. As she loses weight keep dropping the feed accordingly untill she reaches where you think she should be. At that point hold right around the 2.5 to 3 percent feed to body weight ratio. Also on the days she doesnt work she can be feed slightly less. Also I would split up her daily intake into 2 feeding, 12 hours apart.

5. Mpeartjr

Mpeartjr Pup

Yeah I switching her back to sports mix wholesome. She was 50 at 1 year 1/2 .

6. c_note

c_note CH Dog

4Health Performance works good. TOTW better. I REALLY like Evo, but it's a lil expensive to feed for me. I'm goin to try to order some in the next couple of months. Found it cheaper online than here local

7. c_note

c_note CH Dog

I agree with all but the last part. I only feed once a day. After you have done the above she is ready for REAL work. It should take 2-4 weeks to do the above IMO. Time length depends on dogs "chain shape". After that she should be lean and ready for harder work!

8. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

My first bit of advise would be to ditch the feed. If your conditioning to race then you don't put low grade gas into a premium engine. You didn't really state what kind of conditioning your trying to achieve. Are you looking to bring one in tip top shape for an event or just want a healthy walk around weight on the dog? Big difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  9. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Anything active you do with the dog will help it from slat work to throwing a ball for her if your just looking to have a fit animal without all the excessive weight.

10. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

I think if it were me I'd start with changing the food and as much natural exercise I could for her. Find somewhere I could turn her loose to run freely and walks for starters. I also would only feed her once a day.

11. edgar86

edgar86 Big Dog

and drop the food quantity also , ilts overweight because it was overfed .