1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

what size chain?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GAowner, Dec 29, 2006.

1. GAowner

GAowner Pup

I tried doing a search and theres a ton when you search for chain

I am working on a kennel but that will take some time before the HOA approves it.

In the meantime, I want to be able to chain them. I have several secure items such as small trees, a basketball hoop (buried, not on wheels), etc. I just need to know what size chain and what attachments to get. I was in Home Depot and I was going to get some big stuff but it seemed real big.

They wear normal fabric collars now. Do I need to get special collars so they dont pull them off.

I just cant afford to under-estimate them again so everything has to be secure.

BTW, they wont be on the chain for more than an hour or so at most. ANd only when we are home (doesnt mean we will be supervising though)

CrazyK9 likes this.
  2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Buy a thick, at least 2'' quality collar, Stillwater is my suggestion. The reason for a thicker collar, is not only strength, but so the force of hitting the end of a chain is spread over a larger area, and theres no sudden impact on a say, 1'' strip, of the neck. No buckles, no o-rings in the holes. Just a solid collar.

How big and old are these dogs? If your putting mature, adult dogs on the chain, is totally diffrent then puppies which need a "teaser" chain. I dont agree with large chains, a high-quality 1/4'' chain is plenty for damn near any dog. A 5/16ths wont hurt for larger dogs (65+ lbs), but is probably really not needed in most cases. We had a 47 lb. cw male who would do backflips when he hit the end of the chain, all day long, on an old, rusty 1/8'' chain until we could move him to another chainspace. The weakest part of nearly any chain/axle setup is the hardware. Dont skimp out. 5 bucks for good o-rings, seem like alot, but its not, for security knowing your dog will be where you left it, and not dead in the road, when you get home.

I dont like using anything but axles, or other min. 3' metal objects to attach chains to, this includes trees...dont use em.

When you set it up, set one up, pull the chain extended to where the next dog will be, and dont let the end of the new chain come within 3' of the other. Keep a min. 3' seperation between the end of two chains at all times, nothing is uglier then watching one dog howling with his front paw in his neighbors mouth, and not being able to defend himself or move!

3. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

4. GAowner

GAowner Pup

ones a year old, the other is 4.

Thanks. THose pictures are great. I was wondering if you used the O ring in the collar and apparently not.

Is there anyway to source this stuff from home depot or the pet store? Not cause I am cheap or dont want to support a bulldog friendly store. Its just I leave for a couple weeks Tuesday and I want this set up before I leave so my family can have it setup and no more accidents...

Thanks for the info

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Absolutely, I buy all my hardware from "Farm and Fleet". Home Depot has the same goods, but they are generally way over-priced. Stay away from the pet stores, I've never found anything remotely "bulldog-safe" in a pet store LOL.

As a side note, I run an o-ring through the collar at all times. Absolutely no "opening" parts on the setup such as bullsnaps. As a sidenote, I myself use lap links. HOWEVER, I remember talking to a man with much more experience then I close to a year ago, and he would only use heavy-duty S hooks, something along the lines of it doesnt kink the chain or wear uneven I believe. I believe he mentioned CaJack stealing that information from him, and publishing it in his book as his own, so if you have a copy, look and see what he has to say on the subject.

Anyways, a 4 year old dog will be fine on a 1/4'' chain. The one year old dog would be as well, but if your unsure, you can always go a size smaller. When they both mature, stick the more active one on the larger chain.

6. Marty

Marty Guest

This is a good setup for a chain...

[​IMG]

This was beau's old chain its 5/16 chain because he's a big strong dog, I have since went to 1/4" grade #70 chain on all my dogs, the 5/16 I think is to heavy on the neck and not needed as 14rock said and I us axles also...

[​IMG]

Collar through chain...

[​IMG]

Hope this helps you out ;)

7. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

5/16" Chain, about 9' long(Will be longer when hardware added)
    1-- 1/2" Swivel or 3/8" swivel(Next to Ground)
    1-- 1/4" Swivel(Next to Collar)
    4-- 3/8" lap links
    1-- Heavy O-ring(At Axel)
    1-- Jumbo Bullsnap or extra O-ring

A lot of folks run collars threw rings, but I have been clipping mine with "jumbo" bullsnap to collar d-ring, for years and never had a problem.I will substitute extra O-Ring for Bullsnap, if you prefer.

I can Ship you everything above for $50 total, which includes shipping. All you would need is an Axel to drive threw the ring.
    I will put it together for an additional $5.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Thats a deal Stillwater. How you can do that price, with shipping blows my mind. I pay damn near that next town over at the supply store. What grade chain is it?

9. Big Rod

Big Rod Big Dog

is that for everyone? ive been having a problem with my bullsnaps and swivels and would be interested

10. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I'll have to check, but I am pretty sure the chain is "rated" at 2200lbs. Thats the "Rating" strength, not "Yield" Strength. "rated" strength is usally half of "yield", so as to incorparated a 2:1 safty factor, as required by UL(Undewriters Labratories)

I will do that deal for whoever wants one.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  11. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I buy in BULK!!!

I have bought SOOOO much stuff from my supplier/distributer, that they don't charge me shipping, so I pass the discount along.It cuts the price in half on hardware.

12. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

I use the same set up as Marty, excluding the O Ring on the axle

and I hammer my axles flush to the ground

13. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

$55, eh? Damn, I can't wait to get my own yard started up. I'll definitely come to you when I do, Stillwater.

I've got a question for y'all though... those of you who have bought from a local supply store, how much did you pay for the same set-up?

Oh, and my mentor uses & suggests S-hooks instead of lap links as well, 14rock.

14. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I get my chain at harbour freight. 3/8" chain, 25' if not on sale is 23 bucks. Most of the time you can find it on sale for about half that.I get my large bullsnaps for 1 dollar, and my 3" thick o rings for 1.50 at Eppinette kennels. I get my collars from Stillwater, I make my "axles" to where it eliminates one swivel at the stake, and (thnx to Triple J's suggestion) I am now making my own swivels, which are way stronger than the ones at the feed and seed. I attach it all with laplinks, which are about..1.60. So I have two setups with 12' chain's and all for about ...40 bucks.

15. GAowner

GAowner Pup

OK, I think I got it.

You use the axles and O-rings so the chain doesnt wrap around, eventually shortening it.

I wont be using an axle though. I do have the basketball pole which is plenty strong and a pole which held one of those old big satellites, that pole is strong as hell. How would I attach the chain around the pole, the lap links?

Stillwater, seems like your offer is a good deal and I will keep it in mind. However we recently had an accident with a neighbors dog and I need to get this done before I leave Tuesday. If I dont find it local, i'll email you.

16. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Go ahead and use the pole, and you will find the chain knotted up. It would work for a temp fix, but you should reconsider the axle set up. It'll keep your dog from choking itself.

17. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Heres another idea, instead of axle.

Take some posthole diggers and dig a hole about 2' deep and drive a peice of rebar or steel rod right in the center of hole, and about 6" below ground. Wrap your chain around it about 3 or 4 times and lay a stick across the hole so the chain is suspended over the center of hole. Fill the hole with quickcrete, and allow to sit for 48 hrs(Longer if temps are very cold).

You will NEVER have to worry about chain getting wrapped up, and thie set-up elimanates one swivel.

I would use a VERY heavy chain coming out of the ground for first foot, and splice a smaller chain to it with a cold-shut, or a lap link.
    I have also done the same thing using 5-gallon bucket filled with concrete, and bury bucket.Just add 6" of concrete, and spiral the chain a few times in it and fill it on up, with chain suspended in the middle, Let it cure and bury it.

Just some ideas that have worked for me.

18. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

you dont need an O Ring with your axle, and if you smash the axle flush to the ground it will never wrap

axles are your best bet, a dog will never pull one out if sunk proper and $5 and your local junk yard

I say stay clear of bullsnaps and laplinks, just my opinion

19. semo

semo Top Dog

tag for later