1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Yung-One, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

I have a male that is just over a year old. Sometimes he seems like the king of the world and nothing could shake him and then other times it seems like he's scared of his own shadow. What should I do to try and break him of being scared?

2. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

To me this dog lacks proper socialization or has gone through some sort of mistreatment either by you or by a previous owner. Start by spending time alone with the dog. Baby talk to him, this usually works well with young dogs plus they really seem to like it. Take him for long walks(just the 2 of you),let him be himself during those walks and praise him when he acts in a way in which you desire. This will give him confidence. Do not force him into anything which he does not want to do.Do this for about a year before you try anything with him. You will need much patience and good judgement.Don't listen to what others when in a couple of months they are telling you that he is ready. They probably just want you to mess him up. If after all of this therapy he shows no improvement at least you will know it was him because you did everything on your behalf to help him. You will have no doubts about yourself.;) 1