1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What is your answer?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by tlewis_2003, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Now I know everyone has there own preferences. But I notice alot of people cross lines to get an all around Bulldog. But I was wondering is there any certain families or bloodlines that do better without crossing into another line? Or one that can stand all alone?

2. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

Good question...Now that I think about it, all of the dogs i like are crosses... Interesting

3. That's why I'm trying to pick some of the more experienced peoples brains. Just to see what everyone thinks. Or if there was even a family of dogs out there.

4. JC-Pitbulls

JC-Pitbulls Top Dog

There are some preety good tight Earl Jr. dogs

5. RR3000

RR3000 Big Dog

I haven't seen it ,there is always an out some where in,but the ? is more for the one's that understands genetics better and can explain better as to the why's and why not

6. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

There are alot of lines that don't need to be crossed, people just like to add their own little flavor to a particular line. Most of the time it doesn't have much to do with the majority of the line, but the rather the individuals they intend to breed. example; Male#1 great attitude very strong but lacks wind, Female#1 has a great attitude good strength and has a ton of wind. Both individuals are in your possesion, why not breed them together rather than pay a stud fee for dog you don't really know but has good pedigree.

7. That makes sense. But I guess what I was asking is if there are any lines or families of dogs who have it all? Like I know they say redboy was deep game but lacked mouth. What about families of dogs that have everything at least average without adding crosses. But it does make sense that people like to personalize their lines. We do everything else why not a line of dogs?

8. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

i run Sorrells'/Redboy x, one day i would like to be able to call them, my line of dog, im working on that and it will take some years, i practice exactely what you ask about,(all round Dogs) because i believe that is exactely what they are, and what they once were.

i believe Howard Heinzl was big on that concept himself.
    a Quote about Mr Heinzl was this;

"He was always excited about dogs he sent out that had done good in a multitude of different areas. He had told me of a dog he had sent to the Smokey Mountains and the fellow had used him on both hogs and bears, and he had made a name for himself and the breed".

maybe look at someone that follows what Mr Heinzl practiced and keeps a line of his dogs?? i dont know, but good luck, and a very good question.

D'S.........

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
  9. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Can gameness be proved by hunting boar and bears?

10. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Hog hunting is kinda like a team sport. you need bay dogs, catch dogs and yourself to stick the hog when the dogs catch it. catch dogs get to use protection so thay dont get banged up by the hog.you want to use skillful dogs not gamedogs when you hunt hope that helps.

11. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

Its all up to personal preference, i think the Cottingham dogs have the total package, but thats me. To each his own, i like the Lonzo strain as well, but there are tons of people who don't. Its better the go by the indiviuals first, and worry about the line a little later. There are many good dogs out there that don't have traits that their line is known for. Each line was created to focus on one or more of a desired trait, which the breeder deamed would add more flavor or strengths to that particular line. If there was a line that truely had it all and produced it at a very high percentage, then everyone would use it and that would eliminate most competitive sports for the breed.

12. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

NO

but it is just one attribute among lots that i concider of in an allround dog.

and i would concider some of these words when it came to hunting;
    Enthusiasm
    Agility
    Courage
    Determination
    Confidence
    Intelligence
    Endurance
    Stamina
    just to name a few.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
  13. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

But wouldn't all of those mean a dog is game? I mean pre dog fighting ban, gameness was only tested in the [ ] but agility, courage, determination,confidence, endurance, stamina sound pretty game to me. Or atleast what a true APBT should be.

14. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

yes HB, those are just some of the words that sum up what an apbt should be or should i say, some of the traits an apbt must have, gameness is mch more involved. Gameness is very basically the willingness to give up self preservation, the dog will always think it is winning even if it is loosing its battle and be quite content at continueing regardless of the out come.
    i would loosely use the word, Determination in this sence.

allround dogs must also have a Flawless, Stable Disposition, an Amiable Attitude to people.

again this is what an apbt should amount to along with Tenacity and Uniqueness.

finding dogs that posses every attribute of the breed is what should be stived for, not just one or two things. this does depend on what the dog is used for, and certain jobs aquire more of one trait than the other. my interest's personally are to have a good balance of everything in my dogs so that they are truely an allround dog.