1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think is best breed for guard dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by sciri21, Nov 18, 2013.

1. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Mine dam sure can 87..It take a retard to try mine.Now I have had 3 try one was a friend that was new to the situation.This dog from Nose to tail is over 6ft long..And he is just nasty with a a i dont give a fuck who you are attitude.

2. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

Post a pick, i got to see the cur dogs. Im a city slicker lol

3. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

87 just Google them..lots of pics on the net of those dogs.I dont have any BMC s

4. MCS

MCS CH Dog

From what I read and seen different BMC bloodlines/strains vary in size and purpose. Some are bred to hunt or tree and some bred to herd. I seen some that look like bulldogs in the 40-50 pound range and some that look like ridgebacks in the 80-90 pound range.

5. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Yep MCS i saw some look like bulldogs.I actually thought I was looking at a APBT a couple times.

6. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

Here are 3 examples of cur dogs.

[​IMG]
    This is a yellow black mouth cur. Weight ranges from 45 to 100 pounds depending on line.

[​IMG]
    This is a Florida cur. Weight ranges 50 or so up to 100 depending on line.

[​IMG]
    This is a catahoula cur. Weight also ranges from 45 to 100 pounds depending on line.

These dogs range in weight. Different folks breeding for different usage have refined the weights and size for the job they are primarily used for. All 3 of these breeds would find an average of about 65 to 70 pounds. The Florida cur is believed to have a good bit of bull dog breed in from way back. A true Florida cur is also hardest to get ur hands on. There are dogs that have been given the name but are just back yard crosses that have the look. The true dogs have been used on Florida ranches for years.
    The catahoula is every bit as protective as the YBMC or Florida. All three have a hearding instinct but they are cow dogs what u expect. The guarding aspect is everybit as important in these breeds.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

7. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

Ok.... it depends on in what climate you are living.
    If you want a dog for personal protection or as a guard for your property.

Let´s consider you live in a climate that is warm / hot in summer and cold in winter go with a breed that can handle both.
    So if you want a dog for Guarding your property also choose a breed that is available and good quality breeders are available.

So the Rottweiler from proven working lines, checked for health like hips / ellbows and cardio issues aswell will not only be able to handle hot and cold weather if given adequate shelter, he is also a very able and hard hitting manstopper that can back up his attacks by bite / weight and size.
    Also he can serve quite good as a personal protection dog as he is also fast enough.

Also dogs like the Kangal, the Caucasian Ovtcharka and the Beauceron will do good.

If you are living in warm climate you can also think about Presa Canario, Bandog, American Bulldog, Fila Brasiliero and eventually Dogo Argentino.

Mastino Napoletano, Bullmastiff, Dogue de Bordeaux, English Mastiff do look impressive but their qualities as healthy and robust guard dogs are due to health problems and selection for the show ring gone.

The German Shepherd dogs aswell as Dobermann can give a good guard dog for your property ...... BUT!!!!! you have to find one that is not only selecting by sportive Schutzhund trained dogs but also is selecting dogs that still have their natural guard dog instincts..... and this not always is the case within dogs that are successfull in sportive Schutzhund contests. Yet they can serve good as personal protection dogs if stemming from a true working program and trained properly.

As for the Malinois or Hollandse Herder dogs..... well they can be noisy and nervy at times....... they are lightening fast and often hard hitting with a full bite BUT!!!!!!! don´t fall for show stock and overly nervy dogs, also in my oppinion they´ll serve better as personal protecion dogs than guard dogs for a property, yet they can be a good choice too..... but again if selected and bred right.

8. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

Thanks for the pics and info, great looking dogs.

9. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Yep u see lots if folks cross a pit bulldog n hound n call them a florida cur. You might also hear em called cracker curs, and I believe they commonly, at least true ones, with a natural bob tail.

Houlas I hear r good dogs, I think (since we were talking about it) Tim off moonshiners has one you see it on the show every so often.

10. Rainbow

Rainbow Pup

Possibly COAS purely due to size. Caucasion overchorks or however they are spelled.. Always like the look of those african boerbals though don't know much about their history.

11. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

Thanks for the description and pics. I'd like to add a hybrid that I've been reading about. A Catahoula Bulldog. Cross breed between a Catahoula Cur and a Working American Bulldog. Not meant to be a breed by itself but a working dog with traits from two working breeds. Might look into one in the future.

12. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I have a soft spot for Great Pyrs. The ones bred to be guardians, from my experience, are very confident dogs and have a natural sense of trouble. They seem to know when a few barks is enough and when they need to go all out if there is true danger. As fluffy as they are, I wouldn't fuck with one lol.

13. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Fuck no I wouldnt fuck with on krazyk9..the ones i seen was big as a dam bear and had muscle under that fur.And dam sure would stand thier ground.Very intimidating dog.

14. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

[​IMG]
    This guy was one of my favorites when I was staying at a boarding/rescue kennel. He was a big guy and out of the 40 dogs there inckuding several other Pyrs, he was definitely the one in charge!

15. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

I have seen folks with them. I have a friend that has a 6 month old pup now. They are used in hog hunting to some degree. Some lines of cat don't need the bull for hog hunting. They are straight catch without it. I run a ridgeback x pit. He does really good for me.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

16. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

[​IMG]
    That's a lab behind him for size referrence

17. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Yep crazyk9 thats like the ones i saw.Just a monster of a dog and could move very well.They would stand tall when it counts.I got some family that use them in South Georgia on thier farm.I liked them.

18. Augustus

Augustus Big Dog

Get some guineas

19. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

........the best breed for guard work...............the ones that bite.......lol........belgian sheps....mams....