1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What do you think is best breed for guard dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by sciri21, Nov 18, 2013.

1. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

My pit will lick you and open the door for you, but once the door is open my rott is fucking you
    Up and that my friends comes with a guarantee. Docile and for th most part you wot even know she is present in the house, but if shits out of routine she on point. You could leave the house door open and go to your car multiple times for groceries and she won't come out unless called. The neighborhood loves her and respects her.

2. Yango

Yango Pup

The best guard dog is the presa canario, obviously working lines. It is a calm dog at home, with good prey. Its structure gives respect

3. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Reputation help alot ,kinda what 87buick says ,people get to hear about it and less likely to try somethin.My dogs got a rep he sent one to the hospital and couple others had close calls so people dont try him.

4. MCS

MCS CH Dog

man it is a loaded question. it depends on $ to shell out for a good dog and what you really want. Low cost I would roll with a rottie or american bulldog...
    boerbols and filas are great but they will cost u. I hear the dogs like great pyraniese, antolians the shepard type gaurds are more animal friendly.
    But the am bulldog I had ain't no joke. My buddy has to put him up when people come over, they are getting a warning nip if they get to close to him or my buddy.
    and he barks all day at something strange in his neighborhood.

5. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Vary true but this thread is about home security not yard security the way I understand...I personaly would not put a security dog on my yard..one dog slips one coller and u got a dead securty dog ..or worse dead bulldog....My dogs are not human agressive but I have a few that are territorial and will hurt u bad if u break into my home

6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I got an APBT in the house that if someone came in here as an aggressor and I was in the house your going to have to kill that bitch to get to me so I assume because she barks psyco style at anything that moves outside the house she would probally protect the place. I got one outside that will go nuts if someone went back there and if they get in his chainspot it may be pretty bad, id rather not find out though. I prefer a gun for home security. Dogs in general more times than not will deter most thieves simply because they draw attention.

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

RGB I had that happen bfore and luckily I was here and no damage done.I wouldnt trade mine,he is my buddy .Never once growled at me or tried to bite me.He gets top notch care.He is 8 yrs old and luckily only one slip in 8yrs.I think thats pretty good.Also ill say he isnt on a tie out all the time.He only works when I need him.He stays in a kennel with 12 ft high fencing prob about 50 ft long and 50 ft wide.And he isnt here to gaurd my APBTs just the house.

8. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

A smart man biter that you can keep on a chain n just move around every now n then, lol, depends on the size of the yard as to how many you have. Let a 50 LB bulldog get in someones ass n see if they want to try n steal another one again, lol.

9. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I've always said that I'd never have another kind of dog besides a APBT. Lately I have been wondering if there is another breed that would do good guarding the property while being smart enough to stay out of chainspots. I've already read other threads about guard dogs on here so I'm curious to see if this one will stir up any other experiences that ppl have had.

10. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Tree I got a friend that had a female Dolbi that would gaurd and stay out of chainspots.Thats the only one I have ever known.I dont know if you be lucky enough to find one that could stay out of chain spots.

11. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I've thought about those as well bama. My dad had a few along with other breeds and his were never AA but his wasn't roaming the yard with chainspots either. The other thread I was reading spoke highly of filas. I've never heard of them but they seem interesting. I'd think they'd get AA sometimes but idk. It's probably just a matter of trial and error. Start with the cheapest obviously lol.

12. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

i know a dude that had a rottie pit mix that was a fuckin monster would get in a dogs ass would get in a mans ass!! i almost shot that motherfucker one time.

13. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

lololol!~!!!!!!

14. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

I'm gonna go with a cur dog. Be it a catahoula, yellow black mouth, or Florida cur. They are big (70-80#) can stop a rank bull and are very protective of home. They are all stock dogs and can be taught to put up with cats if around them from pups. Another good side is they are loud mouthed and will make a man put on the brakes when he hears them. They are also good with kids.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

15. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Shotgun those blackmouth curs are nasty.I got a friend that got some and U wont get out of your truck if he aint there lol.

16. MCS

MCS CH Dog

I am will yall, I hear Curs are great all around dogs. And the folks I know that had BMCs swear by them. I just thought of them more for hunting and around the house, not gaurding like a typical big gaurd dog but they are probably as good as any bred for it plus they are more rounded and probably smarter too.

17. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

I thought about a black mouth cur. Are they straight working dogs where they are hard keepers in the house? Yeah, I hear they are smart and pretty good for any task.

18. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

They need exercise as any high drive dog does. With that said they can be just as laid back as any dog around the house. They are very good dogs able to preform many jobs. They were bred as stock dogs first. As stock dogs guarding and protection of the home place was a high priority. Hunting was just a added bonus due to the fact of haveing to find lost cattle. The same traits that made them cow dogs made them good hog dogs. A BMC is not gonna be as wound as a running hound but more than say a trail hound such as a bloodhound. The social and guarding nature of these dogs is what makes me think they make a great all round dog. Another plus is they are not on any BSL list.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

19. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Great info shotgun...thanks

20. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

Can you guys post pics of these dogs? Another reason
    I would go with rotts or sheperds is the look. Take one look and
    A thief or worst will rething what there about to do. Hopefully the
    Avoiding the whole situation. A none "look popular" breed
    Not known for guarding and he might try your property.
    Just food for thought. Yes your dog might do the trick
    And inflict major damage,but can he serve his purpose on just looks
    Alone.