1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

what do dogs hate the taste of??

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by RedGoodbye, Sep 18, 2013.

1. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

I make my own skin treatment for dogs from scratch...my vary own blend simular to nustock....I have noticed that the dogs tend to lick the treatment off there front legs and anywhere elts thay can reach .. I'm searching for an ingrediant I can use that will deture them from licking it off however it must be a completely gental substance that will not irritate delicate healing skin..so peper based stuff like hot sauce is out... thnx in advance

2. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Hot sauce doesnt stop them anyway.

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Bitter apple perhaps?

4. Furious_Ford

Furious_Ford Big Dog

5. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

couple cayenne pepper seeds in the mix. is it cheaper to make than nustock, you trying to market this stuff Red?
    interesting.

6. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Not trying to Market it unless someone on here wants to play Mark Cuban and invest in it lol. I have ben perfecting it and giving it to my dogman friends as gifts in order to get feedback. It works damn good and helps treat perdy mutch all skin problems as well as grow hair back. It is however a tad more expensive to make than Nu stock seeing as I don't buy the ingredents in bulk. I have sold a couple to people who have pups from me when skin issues poped up..I sell it for 20 bucks for a 20oz tub ..it cost me $15 to make.

7. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar

Tastes horrible. Smells bad. And in humans, it's a natural remedy for some skin issues i.e. athlete's foot and other fungal infections.

Lavender oil or eucalyptus oil (supposedly eucalyptus is a natural deterrent for fleas) might also work.

8. Furious_Ford

Furious_Ford Big Dog

I don't know about regular vinegar, but dogs don't seem to mind the taste of apple cider vinegar...at least mine don't, as they get apple cider in their feed at times, & also I have tried it in the past as a licking deterrence before I ever fed it to them, & that did not work for me on my dogs!

9. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

The only thing I've found that my dogs won't lick is wasabi...

10. My dog loves wasabi. And the apple bitters stuff... Loves that too.

I'd stick with finding something bitter. It would probably be your best bet. Cranberry juice (not concentrate or sugar-filled, but organic cranberry) is very bitter.

11. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Lots of good sugestions... thnx to everyone!

12. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

Are you using sulfur in the mix? It seems like that would keep them away. I know my dogs won't lick nu-stock.

13. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Some do and some dont here -. What i do is, when i need to apply something -(nustock, a&d,peroxide, triple anibiotic)because lets face it, blemishes do arise.. I apply, then I take the amimal for a walk, o right before feeding, depending on how long you want the product to stay, you can extend the "window" if you will, if they are focused on something else. Just .02 to add that may be useful to some that may read this.

14. ^^ That's actually a really good idea that never occurred to me, but makes perfect sense.

15. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Yes sulfer is in the mix....No....It don't stop em from licking it lmao

16. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

If you can find something to add to the mix that they wont lick off.............You should do very well with the product. lol When you do put me down for some.

17. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Why not just put a damn cone on the dog.. seems like a whole lot of work for nothing.

18. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

LOL! I tried to put a cone on a bitch once for about 30 seconds, lmao!

I use this stuff called Veterinus Derma Gel, and I really like it.

19. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Because putting a cone on the dog would not improve my skincream now would it?

20. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

baking soda.also vannila extract is very nasty