1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

what could i use?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by honestb, Jan 3, 2006.

1. americandream

americandream Top Dog

my opinion is get the harness first.

2. a milk jug and rocks or gravel something to make noise ... put the rocks or marbles or something in the milk jug and tie it to the harness and let em pull that around as pups..let em get used to the noise behind them without them lookin back to see what it is.... how i start out...

3. :o sorry didnt read b4 i posted great idear ;)

4. honestb

honestb Pup

i'm gonna give this milk jug idea a try. if it works,great,if not what are my other options?

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Basically, you need the milk jug to work if you want her to ever pull. This is the basis of it all, if she wont pull a 2 lb. object making noise like the cart and weights will, chances are she wont pull. You need to take your time with this milk jug and just praise her like hell when she pulls with it on, remember the whole idea of the milk jug is its going to spook the dog a bit, you just need to comfort her and get her focused on you and that its ok to have fun with that noise behind her.

6. honestb

honestb Pup

she pulled the shopping cart with weights just fine, at first she was jumping trying to get momentum,then she lowered her head and body to remain going. she is already obedient(very). i use to swim her alot at the local lake,so she has muscle too. my other question was what else could be used from home to train her,but i guess all there is, is the milk jug trick huh?

7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Thats all you will want to use for probably another 12 months. Even though her muscles are developed and she CAN pull alot of weight now, doesnt mean she SHOULD. You really need to allow time for the joints to fuse together and harden. Its a kin to a 8 year old boy bench pressing 200 lbs., some could and it would be impressive, but its terrible on the skeletal structure and will ruin them for later in life.

8. bronxpits

bronxpits Big Dog

i was at the pull yard the other day with my 9month i no he young but i threw him no for 1 run with the proper harness pulled 900 running easy pullin as if nothing was there

9. bronxpits

bronxpits Big Dog

his second run when he is older imma start to train him when he is about 12-14 months

10. honestb

honestb Pup

what did u have ur ouo pull and what was it attached to?

11. honestb

honestb Pup

what kind of harness?

12. simms

simms CH Dog

If you are truely interested in wieght pull, with your dog. Heres a link to help you get in contact with ppl that can help give you the hands on help you need. If you don't belong to this club already.... you should.

I can not find the link for the Texohma club, however the contacts on the lsspbc can give you that info.

http://www.geocities.com/lsspbc/?20067

Regards.

13. pitbulllvr25

pitbulllvr25 Big Dog

I used a tire for Candi attached to her harness. Its light and it makes a lot of noise on concrete....lol I did this with her for 3 months before i attached a 25lb weight to her harness.

You can also use a snow sled (plastic) its light and will make noise on the ground.

14. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

you could even hook the leash to the bottom of the harness.

15. EnigmaX

EnigmaX Pup

900lbs at 9 months old? I wouldn't do that again, definatly not good for your pup. Torn ligaments, pulled muscles, etc. take FOREVER to heal on an adult dog, let alone a pup who's still developing.

Honestb - I'm sure your dog could pull more then a shopping cart, but that doesn't mean he/she should. If your going to do it, and are truely into it, then do it right, start off slow and get the basics of pulling. These dogs have no problem pulling weight, but that's different then being at a weight puling event.

16. BAU

BAU Pup

Try the milk carton or the plastic snow sled. Stick to drag weighting for now until the dog gets the hang of it. Stay away from the shopping cart, you'll develop bad form. The key is repetitiion that's why you stick to the drag weight, and go for short walks with the dog. GRADUALLY increase the distance and then increase the drag weight SLOWLY. Chains and window weights work great and when the dog gets more trained and stronger you can use a tire and add weight inside the tire. If you take things slowly your dog will be fine.

17. honestb

honestb Pup

when my girl is pulling the jug,she never stays heading in a straight direction,which of course causes her body to bend funny. is this normal?

18. BAU

BAU Pup

How do you have the jug attached? It shold be on the end of a rope or leash (about 6 feet long) and laying on the ground. The other end of the rope or leash should then be attached to the D-ring of the harness. If it is set up right and the harness fits right it should be balanced and not pull to one side or another.

19. bronxpits

bronxpits Big Dog

when i said 900 lbs 9months i tried it once when i was with a few guys who where pulling there dogs aswell as everyone was impressed because it was his first time and he did it stressless not looking back as if it was nothign basically running im not gonna train untill he is 14months mayb older

20. bronxpits

bronxpits Big Dog

oh yeah i used one of my freinds pulling harness's