1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

what could i use?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by honestb, Jan 3, 2006.

1. honestb

honestb Pup

i'm going to start my girl on weight pulling . what equipment would be good for a rookie in training? she is 11 months old and stands 19 inches high and weighs about 55 pounds.

2. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

very low weight say just the harness and maybe a pound or two. somethin to get her used to the tention

3. honestb

honestb Pup

are there any household items i could use with the harness for her to pull?

4. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

go to apbtconformation.com and there is some info on weight pulling.start of with no weight just let the dog get used to the harness and then astart adding weight little by little dont expect 2500 pounds on the first pull.

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Use a milk jug filled with rocks and other objects for the first month or so just to get her used to the noise behind her before you go to weights. Just put the harness on and let her play with it on with the harness behind her.

6. honestb

honestb Pup

wouldnt a milk jug with rocks put tension on her neck since it would be so low to the ground.wouldnt i need something that will stay directly behind her to get the right kind of pull?

7. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

u dotn put big rocks just a couple so it can make noise.

8. americandream

americandream Top Dog

here let me tell ya... a milk jug with some pebbles in it is like pulling a feather. its noise that to dog has to get used to. you should start with atleast 10 different noises/objects with noise first.

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

You are using a harness right? Even a walking harness would in theory be o'k for a milk jug, although not desirable. You cant just hook weight to the collar. You may want to hold off on the purchase of a weightpull harness for a few more months. She may continue to grow and the harness may not fit in a couple months. Also, 11 months is o'k to start training and extremely light weights, but you should not use any real weight until at the very least 18 months old. That way all the joints and bones have matured most of the way and set properly.

10. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

beofer uspend money on equipment...spend some money to make sure your dog doesnt have hip disp. and stuff like that.

11. honestb

honestb Pup

just a second ago i connected 75 lbs to her leash and she pulled it about 30 yrds to me. the funny thing was we found a shopping cart lying around which was made the total weight a littel more. of course i wont continue with her pulling that much so soon. hey i'm just being resourceful by using whats around me, those damn wagons are expensive,even at walmart. maybe i can make my own. can i use a nylon harness with weight attached to it?

12. americandream

americandream Top Dog

you need to get a costom made one i got one made for under 100$ can. fees using leashes and walking harness's could hurt the dog. i used a shopping cart to start too. but be careful it doesnt hit her in the butt it will freak her out. doing it on grass with nothing in it should be good enough. til she gets used to it.

for a harness try cdpits
    heres my costom made harness for my britney.....

Attached Files:

13. take it slow.dont rush her..she is still young and not fully developed. listen to what the other have told you...start with a milk jug or something similiar. give her time to get used to the harness and pulling. dont push her too hard till shes 2yrs. good luck

14. honestb

honestb Pup

i really appreciate the replies. what i am asking regarding the jug is the fact that the weight would be to one side b/c it is on the ground in a position where it can only be on one side of her body which would mean she is using one side of her body to pull the weight more than the opposite side?If someone understands the question would you please respond back to me and offer a method that allows the weight she pulls to balanced correctly???????????

15. i dont understand what you mean by one side. i am assuming that you are using a collar instead of a harness and that is the reason she's pulling from one side.

16. americandream

americandream Top Dog

no this is pretty much weightless. its like a feather. trust me give it a try it is for sound only. tie it to her and take her for a walk.

17. americandream

americandream Top Dog

do not put anything on the collar harness only!! check out mine above

18. honestb

honestb Pup

would i have to attach a leash to the harness?if i would then wouldnt the weight of the jug eventually pull the leash to either side of her body???????????some-one please help me out here. am i making this to hard to understand.please let me know!

19. americandream

americandream Top Dog

if you have a proper harness with a ring at the back then you could attach anything to it. and a leash is not needed you need a rope with a clip on the end. a walking harness has a ring on the top of the dogs back.......... does your harness look like mine above?

20. well...you could loop a lead around the jug handle then link it to the harness...most harnesses have the d-link that is located in the middle of their back. so when they pull the lead will stay centered...and even if it does go off to the side will not really make a differance...you are only getting your dog get familiar with what you want her to do..once she is ready to get serious you can buy a pull harness....and another thing..dont try to get her to pull to much weight...75lbs. is way to much for her to be pulling..she might be able to pull the weight but at this stage this is way to much...wait till she is fully developed before you go heavy.