1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

weightpull conditioning question??

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by newbieturtlepits, Nov 8, 2006.

1. when i saw the wieghtpull dogs at the new jersey meet
    they didnt look ripped .. not even overly built

what condition other than strong is looked for in the
    weight pull competition as there seemed to be all types
    but none were overly vascular or even muscular

and same question for agility??
    are they just looking for performance in these two sports
    or they looking at the over all condition of the dogs too

i mean ofcourse if your dog looks bad your gonna get some
    bad looks and stuff

this is my interested possible sports for my dogs
    please advise .........thanks

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Whatever condition will get the job done. ;) In theory, a leaner dog will have less weight to pull to get their points. But all dogs perform better at different weights. All you can really do is experiement, and find out what is your dog's strongest weight. They do most of the work with their rears, so exercise that will work that area is best.

3. thanks i was kinda puzzled when i went and there was dogs of every size and shape...in owning the pits they have always been loved house dogs .. and i would play hard with them in the yard.. but this time , the new ones i really want to work them.. being retired a girl gotta have a hobby and what better than to get them in shape makes me stay in shape .. sounds like a good match thanks for the response .. i was wondering was it just the work to pull or did i have to work on the way they look too,, thanks again i appreciate it

4. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

I would have to agree that conditioning doesn't matter but then again if you want to put your dog in a weight class where he/she will fit better in terms of pull weight:body weight ratio then conditioning would be important. For example if there is a weight class of 40lbs-50lbs and your dog weighs 52lbs and the next weight class is 50lbs-60lbs then why not condition your dog to drop 2lbs to have the advantage of pulling lighter weight? Then not only will the weight be lighter but he/she will/should pull faster.

Makes sense to me

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2006
  5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

This is true, too. In UKC, Loki pulls in the 31-45 class. Her normal weight is 43-45, give or take. When I'm getting her ready for a pull, I try to make sure her weight stays well under 46, because I don't want to pull against the bigger dogs in the next weight class up. The UKC titles go on a system of body pound points -- as opposed to the ADBA system which requires that a dog place to get points -- so it doesn't matter as much. But if I'd like to bring home a ribbon on top of my points, I don't want her so heavy she's going to have to go up against bigger dogs.

6. thats what i figured is how they worked it....

my girls are very very lightweight tho right now at 22 pds
    and the boy is a great big 25lbs...lol
    when the film gets developed i will post pics of him
    im still undecided what to do for redeemer
    with the pull potential hes got i just dont know yet
    will he stay or go
    ive been known to keep a placement dog as long as
    9 months to make sure they are in the perfect home

look like hes staying for awhile

8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Have you watched any of the more recent "Worlds strongest man" comps builtmore? I caught a glimpse of a recent one the other night.....they arent the behemouths you used to see. Sure, there are a few monsters, but there were quite a bit of them under 350 (which for professional strongmen is SMALL). I believe from recall, there was one man about 5'8'' 240? I didnt watch it long enough to see who did what, but I definetly seen a change of competitors, from what I was used to seeing years past.

9. thanks i was really wondering was it me or that the weekend was rainy and top compeditors didnt show up or what... i mean it was great!! i loved watching them work and the conformation class and ofcourse the puppies were so sweet i guess i got the answer i needed... my babes being under 30 will put them in a class so small i spose.. gonna beef them up just a lil bit in strength and muscle i had fun as a spectator im gonna have more fun as a participant...thanks for the info ...as they shape up i will post some pics of my girls and redeemer