1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Weighted Collars?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by SlaughterHouse, Aug 18, 2009.

1. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Remember what these dogs were bred for, combat in the most extreme form. Regardless of what they are able to do today, or what we choose to do with them today, the bottom line is that they were bred to do things that are both illegal and frowned upon...with that said they were bred for one reason and one reason only.
    And the entire point of conditioning, strengthening, shaping, working the dog was to win, plain and simple. One of the aspects is mouth and the ability (and desire) to bite another dog down. Part of the bite is the shaking and jerking when in hold. The most important muscle group for this is the neck and the front end, upper shoulder region. The most effective way to increase the strength of the neck is to add a small weight to the dogs neck. The dog will lift his head up and down naturally while walking. With the added strength of the neck a dog can shake another off his feet and that is a distinct disadvantage for the bottom dog.
    Based on facts. Based on history. Based on learned knowledge. S.

2. widerange

widerange Big Dog

i dont use weighted collars mainly because i wondered if they really worked and after reading this tread i have both sides make good points. my question now is if weighted collars are outdated and unsafe what are newer safer ways of working the same muscles as a weighted collar? correct me if im wrong but when used right does a spring pole work the neck and chest? If so, from the prices i have seen on weighted collars you could put together a spring pole of the same or lower price.

also just wonder what others thoughts on weighted vest(harnesses)? to me this seems to be a safer way of working the front end w/ out having all the weight around the neck but once again i havent every used one?

3. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

i use weighted collars and has never had any problems

but also i only use 1 pound weights

walk, run and swim

its good for the neck but its also good at getting for getting up hill
    if you push it in training you can push it while working

realy makes a differance with hunting heavy hogs with a light dog
    1 pound shouldnt hurt its like gaining a pound of fat
    and then working to convert to muscle you get use to it

4. chessfighter

chessfighter Big Dog

I use a 5.5 weighted collar (from StillWater) on my bulldog. It's mainly used when it's not hot outside or later in the evening, maybe twice a week, 15-20 minutes max. It's also very good at burnig off excess energy (my place hasn't been torn up since).
    I guess my question is, how does 1 pound for every 10 pounds sound? Example, if my bulldog weighs 50 pounds, I should use, at the max a 5 pound weighted collar in moderation.

5. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

"As a chiropractor for 26 years who works with directly with veterinarians, I am 100% against any type of weighted collar on a dogs neck for strengthening as this will alter the normal physiological, biomechanics of the pets cervical thoracic lordosis, PERIOD! Altering the weight of a pet will also cause increased weighted stress on the limb joints causing increased joint degenerative problems in elbows, wrists, knees, ankles. Probable problems with adding weighted collar; exacerbation of previous vertebral injuries, accelerate degenerative spinal changes, which will cause a disc bulge to press on spinal nerves and spinal cord causing irreversible damage. Anything that alters from what nature intended, this will guarantee you problems. Hope this helps. Dr. Steve W."

the vet is not always right most of the time yes but not all the time. Once my dog had a simple flea problem and he was some losing hair and i took him to the vet to check up and they said it wasnt flea it was mange. I did a 2 month anti bacterial thing and did scrapes weekly and it didnt help but a simple flea collar and flea killer did the trick. How did they miss the fleas i dont know!

6. BA08/15

BA08/15 Big Dog

st. bernards never carried around a keg. it was sir edward landseer who added this to one of his pictures of a st bernards because he thought it would suit the dog. also, those dogs aren't able to work as rescue-dogs anymore (too big, too heavy).

just a sidenote ;)

7. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

i know a guy who uses a 3 or 5 pound weighted harness to help condition his dogs but only uses it when the dogs are already in pretty good shape

8. teras

teras Big Dog

i was about to ask about this...

does weighted harness reduce the dangers over the weighted collar?

9. alabama

alabama Big Dog

Have always used a weighted collar in a keep,always a kilo in weight and i leave it on the whole duration of the keep,taking it off a certain number of days out.have never had an injury and dont know how you would to be honest.i notice a v shape muscle come up in between theis shoulder blades every time.as to being outdated grbage for me this couldnt be further from the truth.notice an increase in shaking power definately.think of it like this.a boxer always spars with heavier gloves so imagine how light his hands feel on fight night.same principle for the dog.....jmo;)

10. I was gonna use a weighted collar on my Leopard/APBT but now Im hesitant after hearing this, maybe I'll use a vest. To the people experienced with this,whats best between a vest and collar? Whats the differences?

11. alabama

alabama Big Dog

To me a weighted harness is still a good tool but works different muscles/area of a dog and would be used differently.like a collar i would leave on constantly where as a weighted harness i would only use for the evening walks and depending on the style of your dog would either increase the weight gradually through the keep or the time the dog wears it,depending on what your trying to achieve.