1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Weighted Collars?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by SlaughterHouse, Aug 18, 2009.

1. SlaughterHouse

SlaughterHouse Big Dog

I have seen a few people use weighted collars on their bulldogs, but no one can clearly give me the reason for using one. I think some just use it because their buddy does. :confused:
    My question is what are the advantages of using a weighted collar? Does it help any in the conditioning of the dog?

2. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

its a preference and a conditioning tool. it works out the chest and front of the dog and can be used to give resistance while the dog is running, best to only use 2-5 pounds and short workouts cause you can damage a dogs neck and spine. also wait til the dog is 2 years old and fully grown.

3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

i have never used one that weighed more than three pounds and most of the time it is two. They are used for strength in the upper shoulders and the neck. Dogs lift their head high to inspect things as they walk, they drop their heads to sniff the ground and inspect things down there. As they pull forward tugging the lead, and you down the road, the head is constantly up and down. The neck and shoulders get a more intense workout while on a simple walk.
    Remember the dogs were bred to bite, hold and wrestle. When he takes hold and jerks and shakes the muscles used for this are the upper shoulders and the neck. The strength of the shoulders and the neck can shake a dog right off their feet. The damages from a bite are for the most part, just holes. The damage comes from the shaking and jerking. Just as if the little toy dog bites you, and there is really no damage til you jerk your hand out...same principle, just in reverse...s.

4. WWII

WWII Banned

I knew a guy that when conditioning a dog would leave a weighted collar on at all times. I don't know the weight he used, but it was said he had some of the best built front ends.

5. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

^^^^^^^Great analagy, you talk a lot of sense Slim!

6. SlaughterHouse

SlaughterHouse Big Dog

That is what i wonted to know Slim, I am looking to start working my male out on walks and all, and am looking to work the entire dog. :)

7. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

Sheesh -- sometimes I wonder if some of these dogs just get to go for a walk and be a dog without having to pull something, or wear something...some of the saddest dogs I've seen are those going for a walk along a path, trying to sniff and be a dog and enjoy the walk, but are jerked back to just walking straight ahead, dutifully getting the "workout".

I personally disagree with the weights around the neck -- necks just aren't built for weight bearing...

Dreamer

8. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Very true Dreamer!

I think weighted collars are one of the most harmful things someone can put on a dog. All it does is risk damage, if not do damage it outright. If you want powerful neck/shoulders it can be achieved through other safer & more humane ways.

And before anyone says "Oh, XYZ dogger did it" let me say dogs used to be wormed with turpentine & used to have mange treated with old motor oil. Just b/c someone else does it, doesn't mean it's right & just b/c it *might* get results it doesn't mean it's the best way to do it or it doesn't harm the dog.

To me weighted collars = outdated garbage.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2009
  9. slim12

Well I hate to offend, I just answered the question that was posted. The reason for the weighted collars is just that, strength in the neck and the uppuer shoulders. No different than running a mill or pulling a chain or dragging a weight. There is always someone who knows more than the guy that is actually out there conditioning his dog. Just because it appears harmful or is peceived as outdated garbage is not necessarily the case at hand.
    The weighted collar is no different than any other piece of equipment, for you or your dogs, use it incorrectly or over use it and it is obvious damages will occur. When used properly it is a very effective tool. s.

10. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

No offense was taken & I think you answered the question quite well. However, just b/c a tool is perceived as "effective" does not mean it is good for the dog. As I mentioned before, turpentine can be used to worm a dog, but is it good for the dog? No. Can the same results be achieved using safer methods? Yes. Same thing with a weighted collar. It may *appear* to yield positive results, but is it good for the dog? No. Can the same results (if not better results) can be achieved in a safer, more humane manner? Yes.

The use of a weighted collar is IMO dangerous for the dog & use of one by a modern owner signals an person who is either misinformed, lazy or careless. No educated owner in today's day in age who cares for their dog's well-being would use such an outdated "tool" that is likely to cause damage (that could possibly be permanent) to the dog's vertebrae. Neck & shoulder strength can be achieved using other, safer means.

But that is JMO on that. I myself would never, ever use a weighted collar (or any type of weights) around the neck of my dogs. As Dreamer said, the neck was not built to be a weight bearing device.

But there are others who will choose to do it & more power to them if that's what they want to do. However if someone does choose to do weigh down their poor dog by the neck, I would recommend annual x-rays to make sure no damage is being done as well as annual chiropractic adjustments if any subluxations do occur.

11. slim12

And that is your opinion. I have used weighted collars and seen others use weighted collars with great success. I do agree there are other methods and I also use other methods, but the weighted collar is very safe and effective. I have never seen an injury from a weighted collar but I have seen the front end strength of a dog increased.
    There are a ton of pictures on here by people who allow their dogs to hang by their teeth with their feet off the ground. For me, that is an absolute no-no. I was always told to leave his feet on the ground, but I was smarter than the people teaching me and had one of my own hurt and could not compete in a weight pull that was already scheduled. Most any tool used on these dogs can be safe and effective if properly used, the weighted collar is no different. s.

12. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Here is a comment directly from a doctor of chiropractics concerning the use of weighted collars:

"As a chiropractor for 26 years who works with directly with veterinarians, I am 100% against any type of weighted collar on a dogs neck for strengthening as this will alter the normal physiological, biomechanics of the pets cervical thoracic lordosis, PERIOD! Altering the weight of a pet will also cause increased weighted stress on the limb joints causing increased joint degenerative problems in elbows, wrists, knees, ankles. Probable problems with adding weighted collar; exacerbation of previous vertebral injuries, accelerate degenerative spinal changes, which will cause a disc bulge to press on spinal nerves and spinal cord causing irreversible damage. Anything that alters from what nature intended, this will guarantee you problems. Hope this helps. Dr. Steve W." (underlines mine)

Now anyone who wishes to can use weighted collars. I never would myself b/c simple common sense will tell you they're likely to cause harm. I agree *most* tools used correctly will cause no harm but I do believe this is not one of them since the neck was not created to bear weight.

A lot of people who use weighted collars say "But my dog looks fine!" however I will counter with the fact that our dogs are very stoic. They they may *look* OK but could in fact have an under lying injury. Heck, I can use myself as an example. I look OK & I act OK, but I have a subluxation of the neck which at times is quite painful. Ironically it was caused by weight bearing in the neck/shoulder area.

You can't SEE anything wrong with me, but x-rays reveal & chiropractors can find the injury. I would hazard to say if people who use weighted collars on a regular basis were to have their dogs' necks x-rayed they would likely find some type of damage, esp. if the use of weighted collars was extensive.

I myself would never use or recommend weighted collars & would recommend responsible owners try safer methods for building strength in the desired areas. But again, that is just me. If you or anyone else wishes to use weighted collars, more power to you. I would just suggest that anyone who use weighted collars once again have annual x-rays taken of the dog's neck to make sure there are no subluxations & have a chiropractor repair any that exist.

JMHO.

13. BustaH

BustaH Top Dog

So how about pyrinian mountain dogs?: they carry weight around their neck for the work they do, probably a lot heavier than what a person would use on a pit bull for a work out? st bernards are used to carry wight around their neck too.

[​IMG]

If a reasonable weight properly distributed is used im sure its reasonably safe of course damage can or will occur in extreme cases.

14. RedTone

RedTone Big Dog

15. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

If are gonna do it make sure you don't over do it.I remember a pick i saw once of a dog on a mill with like 10lbs of barbell weights tied around his neck,only an idiot would hang this much on a dogs neck.2-3lbs used correctly should be fine in my opinion.I would suggest getting the velcro kind and leaving it lose so it hangs more towards the base of the neck back by the shoulders.And if you dont like, it fine dont do it simple as that.Hope this helps:)

16. slim12

I agree that a weight heavier than two to three pounds for and entire walk is not good and your chiropractor statements are very true. That very same chiropracter will tell you the very same thing about people squatting and dead lifting for power.
    I have seen one of my own get hurt and cost me $$$$ by jumping in the air and hanging on a hide without his feet touching the ground. But 90% of the people on here show pics of just that and then tell me about the dexterity and ability of their bulldogs. I spoke up about that and pretty much got shelled, but I can promise you there will still be no swingers here. I go with what I have seen work and I stay away from things I have seen that do damage.
    I am willing to bet that you are re-posting quotes from something you have read, repeating things you have heard, and responded to what you perceived as a bad thing, garbage, and not from the experience of shaping a bulldog. I appreciate your input, and your thoughts and I factor them into my way of doing things but I will agree to disagree with you on the weighted collar subject. S
    I have yet to see a 2 pound collar adversely affect any of my dogs over the years.

17. c.knight

c.knight Big Dog

football players have been using weights on there necks for years that why there necks look like that as everyone said all in moderation

18. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

What is your specific reason for specifically working the neck?

Those old pics of dogs conditioned for a match -- those dogs certainly got all-around work-outs, no? Did THEY have weights put around their necks?

What the reason for "building up" a dog? It seems people are more interested in "building" their dog instead of conditioning their dog.

Are the extra built thick necks and chests supposed to be impressive or something?

Dreamer

19. yes, some of THEM used weighted material in their keep. If you research or someone here is kind enough to share....there us a picture of Stompanato running the MILL wearing a nice size weighted collar.
    Building and conditioning can mean similar if not the same thing. You can build a dog into better conformation. For example, a dog with a great structural comformation but weak/skinny neck may use weighted collar to improve this weakness.

Dreamer, WAKE UP! A weighted collar, if used correctly and part of a well-rounded keep, there is marginal risk.

One more thing....a chiropractor is not an MD. They will assure you that a child benefits from regular "adjustments". They will also make you lifetime patients.

Are you to blindly trust an educated masseuse?

(sorry if I made some typos, I am writing from my phone)

20. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

Well, I do disagree that you can "build" a dog into better CONFORMATION. Maybe you can HIDE bad conformation somehow with muscle, but you can't change the underlying conformation. A good judge will see beyond an artifically-muscled chest to see the lack of an actual chest caused by poor angulation.

A "weak/skinny neck" may be a ewe neck; in which case it is structurally weak and I'd be darn careful of putting weight on THAT.

Dreamer