1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

weight pulling

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by El Mexicano, Jul 9, 2005.

1. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

my dog is a pretty d*** good weight puller and my friend has pit and he wants me to train him.and im doin everything i done with my dog.its been a few months and we think that he doesnt pull anymore because he thinks he is tied up.is there anythin we can do.when my dog started pulling she was eager to do she will pull on command but my friends dog wont pull any more.we have dreased the weights but he still doesnt pull.plz n e help will be appreciated.

2. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

if you find that they are stopping at q particular weight, try helping them start that weight and let them finish the pull. the best thing is positive reinforcement, reward them after every good pull with a treat or affection, whatever they like. If they do reach a pull they can't make because of weight or exhaustion help them complete the pull. never let them stop in the middle of a pull or they will think if they stop you will let them. i have found that it just takes a lot of time and patience. also while traing i leave a lead on so when i give them the pull command, for me it's work, if they don't start right away i give them a little tug, eventually they will relate your command with forward movement. i have been working with my male capone for about 6 months and just recently got him to pull on command every time, also he was getting stuck on heavier weights so i helped though the pull of that particular weight a couple of times untill he realized that he could do it. my young female on the other hand has taken right off, as long as she gets a treat when she is done she'll do anything. i am by no means an expert but do enjoy pulling my dogs and it is a great work out for them, my male is ripped now from pulling a few times a week. hope this helps

3. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

you might also consider the possiblity the dog just doesnt want to pull! Not every apbt is going to want to pull... like suggusted, you're going to have to get the dog to associate pulling with a good thing.. (dogs love to please their masters.. it might be good idea to keep the owner of the dog involved)

NEVER end the training session on a sour note..no matter what the dog does, find something he does do well and make sure he gets rewarded for that. little baby steps will help and never let the dog know you are upset or dissatisfied with his preformace. Always end on a good note .. Heck, even if the dog stands quietly with the harness on thats a good thing..reward him!!

Im not sure what your trying to get him to pull..maybe start with some drag weights..every few feet he walks pulling them reward him and make sure he knows he is the best darn dog in the world!

Good luck.. but remember, if the dog doesnt want to pull, no bribery in the world will make him Keep trying though.. he may come around but dont over do it so he burns out quickly..