1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Weight Pulling

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by MercedesMama, Dec 15, 2006.

1. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Here's the welded sled my husband made.

[​IMG]

And its kind of far away, but here's a pic of our Dogo pulling the wooden sled.

[​IMG]

Loki practicing on the garden cart when she was younger. (The only reason there's no cart handler here is because it was on enough of a slope to prevent the cart from gaining much momentum.)

[​IMG]

And just for whatever, here's a pic of the drag setup I still use. Leash, motorcycle tire, and a choke chain to connect the two. I don't drag on concrete anymore, though, if I can avoid it. It really tears up your drags and I've heard its bad on the dog's joints.

[​IMG]

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I would, if I got a tire that was covered in oil or something. Other than that, since its going to be dragged along in the grass and dirt, I don't see the point. Only reason would be to protect my trunk, and I could give a rat's heinie about that.

3. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

yea soemtimes i see tire places with some nasty used tires thats why i ask lol

4. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now, I got a good idea of a sled design. I'm guessing for the top sled, you place the tire on the post. Now, my next question. Where can I get a good harness that doesnt cost an arm and a leg? Also are the harnesses adjustable?

5. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

how much do new and used tires ususally cost?

6. StraightGame

StraightGame Big Dog

Not to old at all my red is close to that age

7. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

my brother has started to build weight pulling harnesses now he made me a couple and i really like them. in one show with his harnesses we got four thirds, 2 firsts and mwpp twice. so i say there is nothing wrong with them and he sells pretty cheap too. pm if you are interested in his contact information..

8. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

The welded sled is actually designed for those round weights they use on barbells. Like this:

[​IMG]

I get my harnesses from CD Pits - http://www.itsmysite.com/cdpits/ They're a good price for the kind of work she does. I paid a few bucks less for the harness you saw on my Dogo, and it isn't near the quality (nor was it custom-made). I don't know of any weight pull harnesses that are adjustable.

That said, if you just want to do this for exercise, you can get an adjustable carting-type harness and just rig the traces to come down from the sides, rather than the rear. If you aren't going to have your dog pull very heavy weights, you don't necessarily need to get an actual weight pull harness, I wouldn't think.

9. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Used tires, we used to pay around $15-20 for one. Cheapest new tires I know of are around $200 for a set of four. Here's a tip: if you just want a tire for pulling, go down to your local automotive shop. A lot of them have racks of junk tires outside and they'll just let you take one if you ask nicely. They have to pay somebody to haul them off, so one less isn't any hardship for them. I got all my tires from the gas station/auto shop I worked at for free.

10. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

hey baha i was wondering what shows you pull i saw that you go to some ukc shows and i was wondering if i might have seen you at some of the adba show or apa, upf shows. i saw that you are from oklahoma and i was just wondering thanks

11. Tonka03

Tonka03 Big Dog

12. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Well, this year I was at both the UKC and ADBA Nationals since they were both close. (We pulled at the UKC Nats and did the costume contest and Judge's Choice at the ADBA Nats.) I had to miss an APA pull I wanted to hit in Dewey, and I've never been to a UPF pull. I was also at the ADBA sanctioned show they held in Norman earlier this year, doing Judge's Choice. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

When Green Country hosts their ADBA fun show in February or whenever, I'll probably be at that one, pulling and showing. If the rumors of a UKC pull in Norman in April are true, I'll be at that one as well. I'm avoiding the larger ADBA shows for now because my dog doesn't have a lot of DA in her, and I don't want her to learn it because we're still planning on doing agility and maybe higher-level obedience.

13. I will make that one I try to make all of green country's shows. Along with our local shows.

14. diva

diva CH Dog

http://www.stillwaterkennels.com/harnesses.htm

15. diggit

diggit Banned

cdpits.... google it.