1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Weight Pulling

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by MercedesMama, Dec 15, 2006.

1. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Ok, so I been thinking this evening about weight pulling, and got a couple questions for ya'll. And if you're gonna be a smart ass, dont post a reply please. So, all three of my dogs are around 4 yrs of age, I have never once thought of doing anything with them(shows, weight pull, etc.) but since coming here and becoming a member and learning all kinds of new stuff, thought to try weight pull. Not competitive, just here at home as a form of exercise. We do fetch and tug-o-war and all that, but would like to try something new. So, are they to old to start? What all do I need? And is this something that would be good for them, like getting into shape(they're some chunky butts) and just good exercise? Just curious as to what you all think. Thanks in advance.

2. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

Go for it. I'm behind you 110%...I do weight pull with all the dogs, minus lil' bit. They "dead weight" around the yard a lot. They love it.

3. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I knew you'd be with me..that's why I love ya. So besides a harness, what can I use for them to pull? In the winter I use me and Blaize on a sled. How much weight do I start with?

4. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

I've always let all my pits pull weight. Contrary to belief here, I started them around 6 mnths. old.

If the dog wants to pull, regardless of age, let them. If they don't, they won't.

If you don't have a sled, try a a piece of plywood with either actual weightlifting weights(what I use for measurement) on it with two holes cut in the wood. You can use rope or two leashes and tie or clip them to both sides of the harness.

If they are hesitant at first, put pieces of hotdogs like 3-4 ft in front of them. If they still don't move, try showing them the treat and backing away slowly. At first they feel like they are chained up, but once they start getting those in motion they get the picture. Always cheer them on and praise them at every treat stop. Give water after a good workout. They let you know when they tired lol.

Start small, work your way up, and eventually won't need treats.

One of my past males, I had my dad stand on the plywood with some weights and family watched my dog pull. They fell in love with pits after the show lol.

5. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

Just get some old tires for them to pull around.

6. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

You can buy a dead weight sled and start them with that and then add weights from a weight set. I'm ghetto though LOL! My dad constructed a deadweight sled from an old hand truck that folds down. We then welded a piece to hold the weights. I use weights from an old weight set and a fly wheel off of a car...

Tire works too BTW!!

7. diggit

diggit Banned

i started my female at 4.... she did amazing she now pulls 4,000 lbs.

you can do anything with the older dogs just start them good so they dont get fruserated.

8. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Question: By the time you get all the stuff you need, could you have purchased a carpet mill? I would think that would be better exercise for them. Not trying to discourage you at all, so dont get me wrong, just asking.

tie a milke jug or something like that to a string and put rocks in it, and let them drag that around(get them comfortable with the noise behind them), get a good harness, and what ever you want to use for weight and a good rope. You can braid a bull snap onto the ends of a 5' piece, and then tie another 4 or 5' piece in the middle and use that to tie to your weights. I used to work at a concrete block place. We made them, and I would take them home and run a chain through them, when they got to where they could pull the ones they had good, I'd get a couple more. Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do, and what works for you, and what doesnt. I believe in experience over a book.

9. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I also say go for it,,they will love it,,they want to work also,,a sled is perfect to start with,,,you can gradually build them up,,they are not to old at all

10. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

I use to use concrete blocks when my boys were young, but it seemed like it was harder to get them started with those.

IMO whatever you use for them to pull, always put the weight(blocks, tires, weights, people lol) on something that will slide. Makes things alot easier.

But remember to use the treats! Especially if they have never pulled.

Or else you will just be sitting outside with your dogs sitting there tied to a bunch of stuff, and you trying to get them to come to you lol.

11. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

For drag weight, you can really use whatever you have handy. I've got a small welded drag sled that the husband made which can hold about 50 pounds on it. But for walks on trails, I go with something light like a motorcycle tire. Just enough to add resistance, but not weigh her down. If you can get your hands on a drag sled, it might be worth your while. But just starting out, you could use whatever's on hand. Just make sure its nothing that you're attached to because drag weights get worn down pretty quickly, depending on the kind of surface you're working on.

Also, drag work will tear up your yard. If you drag a lot in the same place, you'll end up killing the grass and wearing a trench out. This doesn't matter much to me with my ghetto yard, but I just thought I'd let you know.

And if you want to go this route, you can get a garden cart from someplace like Home Depot. Then you can use whatever you want for weight (cinder blocks, children, etc.). Just make sure there's another adult on hand to brake the cart and keep it from running into your dog when he stops. (I've got a horse lead clipped to the back of my cart for that purpose.) The nice part about the garden carts is that they're pretty multi-purpose, and can be useful to have on hand when not being used to work dogs. (Mine is sitting in my kitchen right now because the hubby decided to use it to drag all the groceries in from the car at once. Not to happy about that, but it does illustrate another possible use. LOL.)

12. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Well, I am glad that I am not the only one who gets into trouble for things like that!!LOL Right now, (or last week should I say) it's the fire wood, leaves a mess. Oh, right now it's having the pups in the house. I am always doing something that aint quite right!!LOL Oh well, at least I dont go to jail no more!HA HA

13. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Men have their uses. Mine has gotten in enough trouble to make me want to strangle him at times. But he can also fix just about anything he screws up and most of the stuff that I screw up, too. So I guess it evens out. :)

14. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Thanks for all the responses and support! And they have pulled before, me, on my face across the yard, trying to get at a rabbit, squirrel, or cat, on moret han one occasion....LOL! So basically I can use just about anything then. Could I construct something myself, like a small sled outta plywood and 2x4s? Mercedes loves to pull Blaize around on his sled in the snow(i of course have her leashed for control).

15. kanediggity

kanediggity Big Dog

i use a sled with spikies in the bottom of it and i also have about 6 different sized chains with window weights attached to it. the sled and chains both have their advantages and i think they both help with different parts of weight pulling. i buuilt my sled out of an old barrell skid ffrom a oil rig and it works great but anything will work. just start light and a milk chug like before mentioned works real good too getting them used ot it. now i dont use treats but im sure it could be effective but i just train for them to do it on a command and lots of praise. if you need any more help just ask. just remember stay light and dont get into the "oh i wonder how much he can pull" thing and you will do fine patience will get you where you want.

16. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Yea, I am good at fixin also, it's the cleaning thing I aint so good at, at least to my wife's standards!!

Cheers!

17. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

By all means, improvise! I actually forgot until you mentioned it that I have another sled that my husband built years ago out of 2x4s. It doesn't pull as smoothly as the metal sled, but it does the job.

18. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

You could go to Home depot and get some heavy walled 3" pvc pipe, a 10' piece would do, cut it in half, (they would probably do it for you if you dont have a good saw) and get someslow turn 90's(3" also), glue the fittings on the front end of the pvc pipes(that will prevent them from digging into the ground). Drill a 1" hole about 5" from where the fitting stops on the pipe, through both sides. This is where you will run a very strong rope to hook to the harness. Then, if you want to use plywood, cut a 3' X4' piece and use some 1/2" self tpping screws and screw this piece to the pvc, with 5 on each side. The pvc will slide better than the wood, and will not rot on the ground. I would have the back of the plywood about 8" from the end of the pipes.

That would be an easy, cheap, durable sled for the house. use either 3/4" or 1" plywood. I would get the treated stuff so that the weather would not damage it.

19. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Could some of you who have built your own sleds post some pics? It would be greatly appreciated. :D

20. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

do you guys clean the tires before you let the dogs pull em? just curious.