1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

weight pulling training advice.

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by mikej, Mar 7, 2012.

1. mikej

mikej Pup

hi guys.
    i have a 5 month staffie that i would like to get into weight pulling
    is there any sites i can check out, and get info off.
    or is there anyone on here that would like to start me off and point me in the right direction.
    all help and advice would be much apperaicted.
    atb, mike.

2. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

You can get an adjustable harness and condition your pup to drag an empty jug of milk with rocks so it gets used to the sound. However, I wouldn't put any real weight on it until your dog is close to a year old. Once your dog gets the hang of it and you are ready to pull heavier than his body weight if you are trying to compete, you should get his elbows and hips x-rayed to make sure the dog has no orthopedic issues before loading up the weight. These dogs don't know what quitting means so you will never know if something is wrong with the dog until you x-ray it. Although, in severe cases dogs will limp or have an altered gait when they have issues. But either way, just be very careful with that.

3. mikej

mikej Pup

thanks davidfitness83.
    i will start slow and easy with him.
    atb,mike.

4. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I am not sure if the stillwater adjustable working harness will fit your dog but give Shane a call and ask him. You can use that until your dog matures and then you can get a custom weight pull harness from brown dog design with your dog's exact measurements once he is fully developed.

5. shakka

shakka Pup

Mikej what country you in ?

6. mikej

mikej Pup

hi shakka.
    i am in ireland.