1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Weight Pull

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by BDuBois, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Hey I'm new to the site and I'm very interested in weight pulling as a sport. I wanted to know whats the max amount a well conditioned and trained pit could possibly pull (curiosity)

2. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

Depends on the dog, its size and how much heart it has, as well as how much you have trained with it.. it all depends on the dog though and dogs keep pulling more and more and the numbers are staggering, but each weight class has its own "high score" so to speak.

3. dpitbull

dpitbull Pup

bdub sumthing good u cld start with is obidence trainin, gettin ur dog used to being around people and distraction, teaching him to stay str8 and and work all those things r required for weight pull sounds like hes at a good age to learn how to pull but not to start pulling. jmo

4. D.Dogg

D.Dogg Big Dog

Biggest thing to teach a pup you plan to wt pull with is to be comfortable dragging noise. Basically put some cans with rocks in them or similar and tie to a rope. Let this drag off his collar as you walk. Keeping him being spooked from the business going on behind him when he does hit the track.

Best of luck, all I know you can do with a puppy safely.

5. i was reading the post an imo take it for what its worth a pup should be in a harness no later then 12 weeks not saying to wrok your pup at that age but by 16 week depending on the pup should be draging his-her body weight not for a long time just to get the feal for it an by 8 months you should be working the dog not heavy but still not easy an if you do it like this that dog is ready to compete at a show by 10-12 months note there is a lot more to it then just that but thats just the start of it

6. gunman2376

gunman2376 Big Dog

BDuBois pay attention to this wise words
    mine pulled 1217lbs with fucked up leg in his first wp competition, he went down, came up and finished the pull, he didn't do it for himself, he did it for me, he has all my respect.
    (im still pissed because i didn't noticed before and when i did i stoped it)

first things first, bond!

7. E-Dog

E-Dog Pup

Brandon,
    There is a great 2 page article on the ADBA website by Mark Lander on weightpull, check it out.
    It does have a small typo on page 1, it says his 60lb. bitch drag weights 8090lbs 1-2 miles,
    I believe he means 80-90lbs 1-2 miles=) other than that good article in my opinion.
    I weightpulled a little in Calif. in 1997, had a good instructor and friend Omar Ross Dagger Kennel.
    You have to have that positive bond with your dog, dog has to love to work(not be forced), start w/ basic obedience work.
    Get your dog use to the harness and noise behind them (never let the stick on the harness hit your dogs back legs when practicing)
    slow and steady is always better, drag weight (not running) slow steady controlled walk with window weights behind increasing or deceasing as needed. Cart work(in the ADBA they have to pull 15 feet in 60 second) in practice have them pull 16 feet in 60 seconds.
    Good luck, read some articles and if possible hook up with someone who is fairly successful in weightpulling in your area, a good mentor is always helpful and a good dogman isn't afraid to share his secrets with you.