1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Weight pull question...

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by ElJay, May 29, 2010.

1. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

I'm just beginning my dog's WP training. Ready to start adding weights now. I was thinking about letting him drag some dumbbells to start out with. I have 5s, 10s, 15s, and 20s. He's a 43-pound dog and has done great with just the harness and rope line so far. How much weight should I start out with?

2. Robber

Robber Big Dog

It is hard to start too small -have him run 5 lbs back and forth over and over and make him think it's the greatest thing, then 10,....

3. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

Thanks Robber. I've also heard of people starting out pulling chains. If I were to do this, what size chain and what length should I start him out on? I can go to Lowes and get them to cut some for me.

4. Blanco

Blanco Big Dog

Buy some chains at you're local handyman shop. Can often be bought in meters and such. So if you choose chains start with 5kg and then up it

5. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

dragging dumbells can be cumbersome- they dont ~slide~ along the ground.
    you would be better off making a tyoe of drag sled, and placing the dumbells on that

6. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

yeah, rallyracer, i didn't think about that. would a child's wagon work fine? he would be pulling it in a very grassy field, so i won't have to worry about it crashing into him when he stops. And noise doesn't bother him.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
  7. green machine

green machine Top Dog

I use something like this and add weight to it.

052210153534_01.jpg