1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

We gotta put a stop to this

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by raided2, Jan 23, 2009.

1. raided2

raided2 Big Dog

RED LEWIS 44 OF DOTHAN ALABAMA IS NOW SERVING 102 YEARS IN AN ALABAMA STATE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY FOR THE INTENT OF TRAINING DOGS FOR FIGHTING PURPOSES. HIS FAMILY HAS ASKED ME TO POST THIS ON HERE TO SEE IF ANYONE WOULD DONATE ANY MONEY TO FIGHT HIS APPEALS. HIS FAMILY IS IN A HORRIBLE SITUATION, THEY ARE LOOSING ALL OF THEIR ASSETS INCLUDING THEIR HOME AND HIS DAUGHTER IS NOW ON A WAITING LIST FOR A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT ALL THE WHILE ON A DIALYSIS MACHINE. THIS MAN ONLY HAD 17 PUPPIES ALL UNDER THE AGE OF 6 MONTHS OLD, NO CONDITIONING EQUIPMENT, AND NO ILLEGAL DRUGS. HIS WIFE AND SISTER ARE HANDLING THE SITUATION AND WILL BE GIVING ME AN ADDRESS TO SEND ALL DONATIONS. OF ALL THINGS THIS WAS A RACIAL SITUATION THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY STRUCK ALL BLACK JURORS AND THIS MANS LAWYERS LAID DOWN ON HIM. ANY POSITIVE HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I GREW UP LESS THAN 20 MILES FROM THIS MAN HE IS A GOOD MAN AND IS NOT GUILTY OF THESE CRIMES. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND WHEN OBSERVING THIS THIS MAN HAS NEVER EVEN HAD A SPEEDING TICKET. HE IS A GOOD CHRISTIAN MAN. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND ALL DONATIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED EVEN JUST $1 CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE people who is going to stop these sick SOB's from the HSUS and radical AR groups it makes me thanks God I have what little I have left

2. spaceghost

spaceghost Big Dog

this sounds like a scam... im not donating.

3. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

dont you think you coulda kept that too yourself?

Raided. Wish Red all the best of luck and hopefully his appealls come threw for him.....

4. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
  5. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I don't think anyone who thinks any pitch is a scam should "keep it to themselves." Folks keeping suspicions to themselves is how 100s of vulnerable folks get scammed every year.

As for this case, I do remember it being in the newspaper, so it is a legit case, but from what was said there he had 17 dogs (not puppies) & did have conditioning equipment, although possession of either dogs or equipment does NOT make you a dog fighter, or even have intent to dog fight. But from what said, this man has been in trouble & let off before, hence his harsh sentence.

6. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

What is needed is a GOOD lawyer to take a good long look at the constitutional legitimacy of the INTENT part of some of these laws.

The legal standard for intent has tended historically to be quite high and it seems that the standards being written into some laws might be unconstitutionally low. The GA. law springs to mind.

7. 102 years for intending to train......puppies.....or at least most were puppies as per the news report.

Why is no one challenging the notion that exercising is "training to fight". A boxer boxes to train for a boxing fight....a wrestler wrestles to train for a wrestling match....a horse races as training for horse race.

Working breeds have additional requirements. The most obvious (should be) is that they require outlets for their abundant energy. A responsible owner provides feed, water, shelter, and love. A responsible owner of WORKING breeds does all of the above AND provides ways for their dogs to release their excess energy. Hence the phrase, "A tire dog is a happy dog". Moreover, a true fancier seeks knowledge and to become an expert of their chosen breed's past, present, and future. Therefore, owning written, audio, and video material should be assumed educational material NOT "signs of mischief".

102-year sentence, dogs are killed, children become fatherless, wife possibly destitute (likely worst off), property likely loss to government appropriation, decades of misallocated taxes, and if given probation after 34 years (he will be 74), a man with no job references, no experience, no chance of making a living.

Might as well give him a humane sentence and kill the man now.

It seems government and their laws look kinder at rapists and child molesters than people who "intends to train dogs for fighting" aka good dog owners with conditioning equipment.

8. kdue

kdue Big Dog

hmmm....well if i EVER did get a chance to own 5 or more pitbulls and they (meaning hsus or peta) tries to take my PETS away, i will KILL them all that comes near me because 102 years for "training dogs to fight" is way more than lets say murder or raping!

9. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

There's gotta be more to the story ,come on 102 years and he's never had previous charges im not saying it's not true, but something is defenitly funny here ..

10. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Here is the original article:

[FONT=verdana, arial]Dogfighter Gets 102-Year Sentence

November 19, 2007

Pit bulls face a brighter future with judges like Ed Jackson cracking down on their abusers.

If sentences surpassing 100 years for convicted dogfighters is any indication, it's time for the record to show that the South is serious about animal abuse.

The Verdict is In

Houston County, Ala., Judge Ed Jackson handed dogfighter Johnny Ray Lewis a 102-year prison sentence on Nov. 13, 2007. According to the Dothan Eagle, Lewis was first arrested in 2005, when authorities uncovered 17 injured and scarred dogs on his property.

Inside Lewis' home was a notebook that listed feeding routines, a diagram of a cat mill (which trains dogs to run by dangling a live animal in front of them), a list of dog prices and a list of dog names that included Gang Bang, Jack the Ripper, Atomic Bomb, Bad Credit and Mad Man.

In September 2007, a jury convicted Lewis of 17 felony counts of harboring dogs with the intent to fight them. Judge Jackson gave him six years in prison for each of the 17 dogs he abused. "It is a type of case that is sensitive to the public," Jackson noted during sentencing.

The Public Demands it

Following Lewis' Sept. 27 conviction, the Houston County Attorney's office fielded emails from people asking prosecutors to seek the maximum sentence and hoping that the judge would comply.

The public reaction to Lewis' case can doubtless be attributed in large part to the increased public awareness—and resultant intolerance—of dogfighting following the Michael Vick case. Across the country, law enforcement agencies have reported a noticeable rise in the number of dogfighting calls since the Vick case made headlines.

The South Takes the Lead

But stiff sentences for dogfighting are nothing new in the South. In November 2004, South Carolina dogfighter David Tant received a then-record, 30-year jail term for dogfighting and related crimes. Tant was notorious as a long-time, high-profile breeder and fighter of pit bulls, and his demise delivered a startling blow to the underground dogfighting industry in the entire country.

Likewise—in 2005—Walter T. Ware was sentenced to 40 years in jail for dogfighting and possession of drugs to enhance the dogs' fighting ability. Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Wright said Ware was the first to be prosecuted under Alabama's stronger dogfighting law and warned that he would not be the last, according to the Tuscaloosa News.

An All-Around Crack Down

Interestingly, unlike Tant, Ware and Lewis were hardly dogfighting kingpins. Rather, they can best be described as dogfighting "hobbyists" whose indecent penchant for shedding the blood of innocent animals cost them their freedom, possibly for the rest of their lives.

These sentences send the message that dabbling in dogfighting—at any level—is unlikely to be dismissed with a slap on the wrist. Dogfighters are being held accountable in a big way.
    [/FONT]

11. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

WOW six years a dog that 102 number makes sense now.That is way to harsh especialy since hes a first time offender.Yea Tant got 40yrs but a surveyer was also injured by a booby trap on tants property,even though they were warnerd by him to stay off his propety im sure it refelcted in his case ,thats just how it is these days .

12. raided2

raided2 Big Dog

Listen up here where is it we can convict people this harshly over animals ,yet we let pedophiles a,rapist,murders off with less harsh sentences? I guess it shows wher our country has slipped putting animals before humans ,Hell we do it everyay ,the killing of millions of unborn humans ( Gods Greatest creation) yet these same AR's accept and even condone it? I am not saying there not be punishment for crimes but please lets let the punishment fit the crime!!!!!!!! Hell even Obhama is closing down Guatamo facility for terrorist? Yet a person who isn't societys perfect owner get this!yeah let s let the terrorist walk and screw a dog owner??

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
    purplepig likes this.