1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ways to Strengthen the Mouth

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by Rocky H. Balboa, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Could you experts in the many ways to exercise a dog tell me all the exercises to make a mouth stronger? I read on one of the other threads about stringpoles and its dangers. Are there others? I am currently only using the Kong products but obviously that will not do the trick. Please help.

2. SWAMPER

SWAMPER Pup

HERES A FUN WAY TO LET THEM WORK THE MOUTH A LIL

Attached Files:

3. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

Try a horizontal springpole tied eye level w/the dog from a tree trunk/post/etc. You then don't have to worry about the jumping and falling and all that good stuff. Basic tug o war helps too! Good luck!

4. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Swamper's got it right. Pretend your a teenager and tug, tug, tug!:D

5. SLICK WILLIE

SLICK WILLIE Guest

You can build the power in the dogs mouth a bit but dogs know how to use their mouth or they don't! some dogs do not have power like other dogs in this area but an old man told me this! If you think your dog don't have mouth let him bite you one time and you'll have respect for it's mouth. Chew on things that give a little and pull and tug will help some but peak at some point.

6. That's funny. I guess I would. But do all of these things make it a harder mouth or just flexible? Should I be concern how he holds the rope (front teeth or mollars?) My dog seems to hold things like ropes with his front teeth not his back teeth. Should I be adjusting this?

I have seen dogs holding on tree branches and walking with them some look pretty heavy. My dog will not carry things in its mouth. Does this mean he has a weak mouth? How do you determine a weak mouth from a strong one?

7. How do you get two dogs that want to get at each other to forget about the dog in front of him and concentrate on grabbing and tugging?

8. If this is a new thing for a dog, how do you teach or make him like it? How do you teach the dog to do it on its own without human observation?

9. GameKid16

GameKid16 Big Dog

he is probablly able to carry thing in his mouth, he just choice not to.. I got a bitch out back that I have seen break turtle shells and chew covers of basball, but she will not carry anything bigger than a football in her mouth even though she is able two...

10. KnottyBoyNC

KnottyBoyNC Big Dog

Tugging is not really good for improving mouth...well i cant say that but it depends on what their tugging with. We use ATV (4wheeler) tires. These tires are tough and they teach the dog to bite harder. when you give a dog a rag he doesnt have to bite hard to get a good hold on it. Give him a tire, and at first he will try to bite the same way he bites a rag and when he sees he cant hold as good, he will bite harder.

11. KnottyBoyNC

KnottyBoyNC Big Dog

examples from Knotty Boy's Boe

Attached Files:

12. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Actually the smaller the item to be bit the more mouth a dog uses. It's harder to hold onto a small piece of hide, or my favorite a piece of firehose than to chew on tires or large rubber toys. Also the small baits slip out of their incisors & teach the dog to get a deep bite using the rear teeth.

13. crossfire

crossfire Big Dog

dont you think all of the other stuff presents a hazard to the dog? if he eats it? i understand sticks and stuff end up in chain spots but that is alot of just flat out trash your dog walks on all day. not saying my yard is perfect but you will not see stuff like that in the animals chain areas. just the occasional limb or plants they manage to snag some how

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2005
  14. What do you recommend I buy for his mouth then? He does not like the rubbery taste some rubber toys have. It does taste nasty (I tried it myself).

15. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

LOL!! That's a first ;) Thanks for the laugh

16. KnottyBoyNC

KnottyBoyNC Big Dog

Yea i agree but it is almost IMPOSSIBLE 2 get that stuff out. He has been off that chain twice since he was 7 months. He will bite anything you touch, thats y i havent moved that stuff out. He even bites the chain he's on if i try to get it off him. Last time it took 3 of us to take him off the chain. and one guy definitely wont help me again. All those shirts and stuff are tangled tightly in that chain. If someone holds the chain while im tryna get them out he trys to bite them. If I could i would but i can't....i've tried all i know

17. KnottyBoyNC

KnottyBoyNC Big Dog

I definitely dont agree with that. A mouth is more than those incisors. Ask the Mountain Man that!!!!1

18. crossfire

crossfire Big Dog

will he try to bite you when you touch the stuff? or bite the object being touched? if he is aiming at you give him a dirt nap and start fresh and be sure to socialize the dog more and take him off the chain more offten. if nothing else to what it takes to take him off one more time and clean it up and then just keep from putting other things in his spot besides his tire.

19. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

i ain't the only one who tries the toys out first i have to though lexus won't play or eat anything unless i eat/play it or at least pretend to eat/play it

20. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

swamper i do the same "tug a war with the hose" as you do..LOL they have a blast! I agree that the debri in the dogs area can cause harm to the dog...such as a blockage or choking hazard...if the dogs tries to bite you why do you still feed it ??

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.