1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Washing up

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Deep south, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Deep south

Deep south Big Dog

Any ideas about shampoo,what kind do you all like ,what IYO do you think is best, do you even wash you dogs and if so or not why ! Anything you you could offer would be nice. Thank you

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

honestly I have spent a lot of money on all kinds of shampoos/conditioners even some that cost $30/bottle for an allergy dog. But the best shampoo I've used & what we use the most at our clinic is Head & Shoulders. It's a great moisurizing (hence the anit-dandruff stuff) shampoo that leaves their coats soft & shiny & not smelling like wet dog. However, I don't recommend just any old other people shampoos. Just H & S or Selsan Blue is the dog has really bad allergy skin.

3. Deep south

Deep south Big Dog

but is that pH balanced for a dogs skin?

4. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

I would only use it on dogs with skin problems.Most of the vets and groomers around here use a mild shampoo or Joy if the dog has fleas Dawn if the dog has oily skin.I use it on all my dogs.I add a lil vo% conditioner with the soap and it does great.

5. sedona

sedona Pup

At work we recommend Dawn for puppies and kittens with fleas, otherwise, for healthy adult dogs, just use dog shampoo. I agree with the head and shoulders, but a dogs Ph is different then a humans, so don't use people shampoo unless the dog has dry skin (then just h&s).

6. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

I use an oatmeal and baking soda shampoo, it seemed to help with dry skin.

7. We use, "Four Paws Magic Coat - Natural Oatmeal Shampoo." This seems to work really good on our bullies. It leaves their coat soft and real shiny. Also, it actually helped our dog's skin as he had a problem with breakouts. Since using this he no longer breaks out.

8. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Oatmeal based dog shampoos are great.

9. Classic

Classic Big Dog

This is BY FAR the best grooming shampoo :

Shampoo-Sho Sno Whitening, Tomlyn,

(found in any vetrinary catalog)

Tomlyn's specially compounded formula releases sparkling accents (Reflectones), enabling the white hairs to radiate special tones creating an effect "whiter than white". Highlights and enhances all shades of brown, black, red or gray coats as it cleans and moisturizes, providing the optimum in color contrasts. Directions: rinse animal thoroughly with warm water. Apply shampoo and work into a lather. Allow to remain on hair approximately 2 minutes. Application may be repeated if necessary. The entire animal may be bathed with this shampoo regardless of color.

This shampoo is advertised and aimed at white or light dogs, but it will make a chocolate color dog shine like you have never seen before...it gets all the grime that makes even a dark coat look dull...I have tried way too many and this is my all time favorite...will leave their coat silky smooth and smells great...unlike many dog shampoos...no medicine smell...as with all shampoos be sure to rinse thoroughly or the residue will attract more dirt!