1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Warm weather hunters

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Colossal, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Colossal

Colossal Pup

I heard a while back that you had some lines that were built and breed for warm weather hunting ex I was given was the Bristols Thor Miss Pool Hall Red lines and also remember reading something about this also may have been Henzil dogs not sure but I'm intrigued to know what other lines are built and bred for this

2. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

they better go no matter what the weather. as for being bred for certain climate IDTS.

3. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Warm weather is for super game dogs that don't have much mouth. Cold weather is for hard mouth dogs that might not be super game. The heat will cause the dog to lose his mouth sooner. Hunting is a game and you want every advantage you can get in a game.

4. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

I read MAYFIELD was known for having bulldogs that did very well in warm weather.

5. Colossal

Colossal Pup

so wardog would it be agreed that lines like Eli, Chinaman, some Carver, Zebo, Gator, and turtlebuster are better for the cold as oppose to redboy, mayday, some jeep, tab and others are better for warm or give your opinion

6. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

not really how it works...

7. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

For sure but it can also be because of their style. A barnstorming type style is not a warm weather style. You want to make sure you take him out when it's cold. He will run hot faster in warm weather. Some dogs with an above average mouth that take their time warming up could be a warm weather dog but might still do better in the cold. I had a eli bred bitch that really didn't get running until the 20 minute mark but you could place a bet by :30 whatever you were hunting their front end would be in pieces. The longer it went the better she got. Super patient and crazy smart. It didn't matter if it was cold or warm when she went out. I would decide on the weather condition depending on the dogman I was racing against.

8. Colossal

Colossal Pup

yeah I feel you there wardog so what is your opinion naustroms

9. skipper

skipper Big Dog

i agree 100% also depends on the keep

10. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

no certain line really does better in a certain temp/climate than another. it's not like oh its gonna be freezing that night, i better grab an eli dog for the +3 advantage.

11. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Totally true I am going to say this but I don't want to get to off topic. There is no blue print that you can follow for all dogs. From the keep, to the schooling process, the hunt, and the diet, yadda, yadda, is different for every dog. There are dogs that can win at 12 months old and there are destroyers that you can take out to hunt in the desert. I just think there is a general rule of thumb that you need to go by.

12. Colossal

Colossal Pup

and why not Naustroms bc I'm in full agreement with wardog on the capabilities in certain climates of certain lines and yess you always have a freak of nature but personally I've heard and think think that some lines are just better suited for the intensity of the climate they may be hunting in but then again you may know something I don't

13. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

its a dog thing. not a line thing. theres a shitload of eli dogs in la and texas and rbj dogs up north.

14. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

this sounds like that shit barney fife wrote lol. a bulldog don't give two shit about the temp & a good handler / conditioner don't eather. nothing is dictated by weather especially show dates shit happens & weather change sometimes venus change to a different state 48 from show time."colossal" most of the dogs you named were from the deep south & had shows up north or siblings up north for example andre gerox(sp) dogs that shit was from the south & he didn't have any issues up notrh. hell just look at BST they were in NJ/ny but there shit was from florida. that never affect there dogs. shit grch ajax was from texas & noreaga was from florida there show was in NJ in the middle of winter. KA was always in florida but he & his dogs were in ohio. weather has no barring on anything just ask the folks from TX hot as shit & snows there too but it don't chang the dogs.

15. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I want every single advantage I can get from washing last, to getting a pound advantage if I am driving to come to you, a big box if my dog is a defensive head rider, going in the middle of the day because it will be the hottest and my dog is crazy game, ect. I want every single tiny advantage I can get. Like G.I. Joe said knowing is half the battle.;)

16. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I use to live in Florida and beleive me it can get cold. I use to go jogging in long johns it was so cold in the mornings of January. I was wearing shorts by 2pm but it was freaking cold in the morning!

17. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

why not? because say you own a tight Redboy dog..does that mean he's gonna be game as hell,have amazing stamina, cant bite his way outta a paper sack? No it doesnt..and say your bestfriend has a Eli dog..does that mean his dog is gonna have freakish crunch, little to no stamina, and get frustrauted and quit after 20? no it doesnt...a bloodline is the genetic make up of a dog but how it comes out isnt written in stone...say your Redboy dog is like a born again Bailey's Bingo and is in alot of peoples eyes an ace.. does he have to be fought in hot whether just because his bloodline is said to be dumb game and will stratch into a mac truck? nope..
    Blanket statements dont work with the dogs we choose to own..its never that simple

18. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

It is important that your hound be acclimated to the climate he or she will be hunting in. If your hound has never felt a temp above 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit, you don't hunt south in the summer. And vice versa, if your hound has never felt a temp below 40-45 degrees fahrenheit, you don't hunt north in temp below freezing. A hound who has been in certain climate his whole life can acclimate with proper diet and work in 8-10 weeks. If you can't condition properly, it may be best to stay on the porch when the temp's above 75F. :)

19. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I wouldn't criticize anything that Barney Fife wrote. He was a hell of a good dogman!

20. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

i wouldn't buy into everything written eather.