1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

walking in general

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by JoeyNzoey, Jan 6, 2010.

1. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

as I saw in an old post I believe, they were discussing the fact that it is best to have a dog pull you during a walk. Not to drag you around but I suppose add the "resistance" which creates a better workout during the walking process whether in a keep or just as a walk. Is it merely true that by them not having the resistance, you do not receive the exercise correctly? I have always had my girl walk beside me, I have had her trained this way since I began walking her. I don't allow my dog to pull me because I believe and have read that you as the leader should not allow such a trait with walks especially since walks create a stronger bond and such. Well that thread had me process some thoughts and I would like for your opinions or experiences please?

2. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

I prefer my dogs to be as far in front as convenient. Obviously, this wouldn't be prudent except for places with little to no traffic. Even when I'm running I want my dog in front. When I hit a sprint, he or she hits a sprint. When I jog he or she trots. When I slow to a fast walk, he or she pulls. That's what I expect and encourage from them. A couple keys to remember are use a long strong lead. I use a 15 foot horse lead. And use a strong wide nylon collar at least 2in wide. To evenly distribute pressure. This is what I do personally but it may not be feasible for others. It makes a helluva difference in the strenth, balance, and coordination of your animal.

3. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

Yeah unfortunately all of my surroundings has traffic, but we have a few good trails and such. Sounds very reasonable and convenient for you, I believe I have some re training to endure with since she was a puppy I have had her walk beside me never in front. I found it unfortunate when I was trying to teach her to pull me on my skateboard she would run but she would not pull from the front. Same situation when we run on or off lead or jog and I personally preferred it that way since it seems as a manner of respect as your their leader but if there are advantages for conditioning or obtaining more of a work out then I would consider otherwise for that purpose. I just returned from a quick morning warm up walk and tested her to see if she would pull ahead of me but she seems rather nervous once she found out I was right behind her and she was right in front, not along my side and just would return to my side haha. The only time she will run up in front without any hesitation is if another dog is coming ahead :D

4. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

When I walk my dogs,it's for exercise.Long leash for exercise and a short leash if I'm just moving a dog.When exercising the dog I let them pull and try and create a little more resistance.I want them to get some good out of the walk.But like c-murda said,I also just walk my dog in a no traffic area.It wouldn't be wise where your dog could hit another dog but when your alone,it's fine.Like with any exercise,if there's more resisitance.it will build strength.But any walk is better than no walk at all,just walk him how you like,it's your dog,make yourself happy.

5. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I like my dogs to pull on the lead when I'm walking slow or leaning back on the lead but I've also taught them to slacken up on command if need be.

I use a nylon horse lead from tractor supply but also use a 6" traffic tab if I'm going to be in conditions where my dog needs to be directly at my side. He'll still pull with the traffic tab but he won't be in the way.

While I don't think you shoud allow your dog to drag you to every doggy piss spot I don't believe by allowing your dog to pull or take lead on the walk it will make him respect you less.

6. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

All my dogs pull a bit when walked, but there not trying to drag me unless they see another dog. I personally think the dogs gain more confidents when walking in front, and they get very good exercise when walked at a fast pace. I dont talk on the phone or stop to chat when i'm walking, i just walk as fast as i can for as long as i can. Its amazing how walking a dog does so much for them mentally, its probably the biggest reason why i wont get more dogs. I have to walk them all, every chance i get.

7. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

A dog trained in a fair and consistent manner has little trouble walking where you tell it to. When climbing up that hill on the trail it is wonderful to have the dogs drag you up. When the trail downhill is narrow and icy, "behind" helps keep us all safe. When in the middle of town with cars and other dogs around, "heel" means "heel". There's no confusion about that here.

8. Mcleod15

Mcleod15 Pup

I don't allow my dog to pull during walks. He stays by my side.

9. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

Allowing a pit bull to pull you on a walk is fine. It won't harm the master-dog relationship. All mine pull me and all I have to do is slightly raise my voice to remind them who runs the show. Alot of what you hear about dogs doesn't pertain to bulldogs in my humble opinion.

10. tony413

tony413 Big Dog

this is real talk +1

i have my dog pull me along while wear rollerblades. she runs full speed for 2 miles an then walks the 2 miles back home

11. Jelet

Jelet Banned

I allow my dog to pull. It is very boring in my opinion if your dog is walking at 1 mph by your side. I also found no good reason to train my dog to walk nicely on a leash. Its not like I am going to be dragged by my knees when he pulls. So what the hell. Why not. When the dog pulls, its helping me walk as well;Im lazy, so him pulling is reducing my effort/energy which I need to do when walking. And if I see kids which seem interested in my dog. I ask if they would like to pet my dog and then I tell my dog to stay and they pet him. Pulling also adds resistance which is good for the dog when walking.

12. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

this is the same thing tht i do walk fast and far even in the cold i even walk my dog int below zero temps he dont mind i ask him first lol all i got to do is say wanna go for a walk and he starts running to the leash of course i make sure we dont stay out to long wen its tht cold but yea i dont mind my dog pulling me cuz went the roads ice i just slide lol it works him out alot anywho i believe it does work them out so yea

13. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

The walk in my opinion is supposed to give the hound discipline and structure while at the same time provide exercise. I think there needs to be a balance between the two. I feel if you are only doing one of the two (the discipline of "heeling or having your dog pull you down the street) you are not using the walk to its full potential.

But just as gh32 said, "Any walk is better than no walk at all,just walk him how you like,it's your dog,make yourself happy." :D

14. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I couldn't agree with you anymore about the balancing between discipline and structure despite being a bulldog. Would you mind elaborating a bit further on how one comes about between the two to reach a walks full potential? :)
    correct gh32 with that statement as well ;)

15. Mcleod15

Mcleod15 Pup

I always go by old saying "Walk your dog, do not let your dog walk you". I feel that allowing my dog to walk infront of me while on a walk is a dominate(disrespectful) act. I view a walk as time to exercise the dogs mind so to speak, on a walk the dog should be relaxed and so should the mind; which is the type of exercise(mental) I feel a dog needs on a walk. I use the walk to relax the dogs mind and mine and to re-enforce the fact that I'm the handler and the master to him(dog), which I feel will lead to a stronger bond between you and your dog. I view a walk as a mental exercise first and physical second.
    I use the spring pole, weight pull, flirt pole, four wheeler, etc.. for physical exercise.

But like it was stated before any walk is better than no walk.

16. KINGKRACKER1

KINGKRACKER1 Big Dog

my dogs pull..some more than others...but i want them to,i feel like they get "more" out of the walk.they dont drag me down the street..i walk at a good steady pace so there is no problem there.they listen when i tell them to heel..like what was said i run,they run.when i jog they trott....jmo

17. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

My dog pull on walks when I tell them to. and there is no confusion. they know were they stand.

Vic

18. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

How I established balancing the two (and am still perfecting it) is that I have my hound walk with me about 15 minutes or so until I reach an area where I can work with her. Then its a matter of following the same philosophy as when I took her out for a walk, she must be in a calm submissive state and under my command, she will do some pull work.

19. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

this is almost exactly what I do. they walk at my side for about 10 min then i let themm hit the end of the leash.

Vic

20. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I'm the exact opposite. I let them know that they can walk at the end of the leash until I say so. Then they slow down and walk beside me. Once I give the release they can go on about their business again.

I never walk them both together though.