1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Very close inbreeding

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Mott's APBT's, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Mott's APBT's

Mott's APBT's Big Dog

2. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Without even looking at the pedigrees I'm going to just make general statements and give you some stuff to consider:

Inbreeding is a tool that should only be used IMO for the best of the best who have been totally researched back in their line to know what good points and problems there could possibly be. You'd have to know the lines inside and out. It has the potential to double up on the best of the best traits but also be prepared for the worst of the worst. This is where recessive genes you may not even know exsist in the line can pop up.

With inbreeding I think it is even more so important than in linebreeding and outcrosses to health test for genetic problems

Thus, I personally feel it should not be done very often and even then in very careful researched ways

Hope that helps... I'm sure others will add their input too.

3. Attila

Attila Guest

It should not be done with siblings.

4. Nigerino.com/

Nigerino.com/ CH Dog

It all depends on what you have and what you are lookng for!

5. Nigerino.com/

Nigerino.com/ CH Dog

I do agree that inbreeding should be left to a long time breeder that knows his dogs well. Here is a picture of a brother sister bred female. She is a winner in many ways.

Attached Files:

6. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Very good post Patch!!

Personally, I do not, didnt say would not, but havenot in 22 years. I do, however inline breed, grandpa to grand daughter, and have very good success with this.

Like Patch said, there are hidden traits in all dogs, and inbreeding can bring the hidden one to the surfice, and it could be a bad one.
    J

7. leo8978

leo8978 Pup

How do you all feel about a 1/2 brother to 1/2 sister breeding (same sire)?

8. semo

semo Top Dog

i would like to see that question answered as well.

9. leo8978

leo8978 Pup

Come on now...Nobody here has an opinion on this type of breeding?

10. simms

simms CH Dog

Post the ped..........

11. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I think alot of folks arent answering because we dont want to just say "yes, thats fine...go ahead and breed it" when it probably isnt fine for the average dog owner. Its not so much as how closely the dogs are bred, but more an issue of "do you know your stock, and can spot the negative traits and cull it out?". If you dont like the idea of culling....dont breed.

12. Aurora

Aurora Pup

If you dont like the idea of culling....dont breed.

I agree 14Rock , but that is with any style of breeding with these dogs . Anyone ( IMO ) who decides to breed a litter should keep as many as he can in order to evaluate the stock and the ones that get out should be put with competent people that share in the simple understanding that only well structured , solid minded , game animals should be allowed to be bred .

Every form of inbreeding has been done with varying degrees of success . Mr T said it best , it all depends on what the dogs posess and what you are trying to accomplish .

13. Mott's APBT's

Mott's APBT's Big Dog

Well these 2 im thinking of doing it with are 2 out of 8 in their litter.i kept 4 and i decided these were the 2 i wanted to keep for sure.Thier father is getting old and i can hardly try to breed him without him halfway passing out from trying so hard.So what im doing is trying to keep the blood as tight as i can since i cant get it from anywhere else except for norrod.And thats not exactly the same thing that i have.

P.S. if ayone can point me in the direction of some maximillian/loposay blood ,other than backwoods pits and ironline id appreciate it.

14. simms

simms CH Dog

Have him collected......

1 person likes this.
  15. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I've no breeder but it sounds like playing with fire.

1 person likes this.
  16. Attila

Attila Guest

Learn more about breeding before posting such foolish posts. Sibling breedings can take place and produce great offspring. Research past dogs and you will see.

For the person who posted this to my rep. Nothing I said was foolish. Ya they sure can produce some good offspring. They can also produce resessive traits just as well that are not good at all. I have researced it and I don't practice it or suggest it. Do what you wan't with your dogs. I have seen. Some are good and some are not. It isn't worth having to shoot some in the head for the crap genes that show out when you breed direct siblings. or even son to mother. How about this you do some research on genetics before you comment on my behalf. Inbreeding isn't so hot. line breeding is more apt to get you good results more often than inbreeding. You should come visit some mountain folks near me and take a good gander at their offspring and talk to them. Mentality of 10 year olds if that. Dumb as a box of rocks and ugly as a mudd fence on a rainy day. I stand on it shouldn't be practiced for those very reasons. It is a 50/50 crap shoot when you do it and do it too often. Unless you have bred that line for many years and culled out all the bad genes then you apt to have poor dogs as well. Ask for an oppinion you get it if you don't like oppinions then don't ask. It is simple as that.

17. Mott's APBT's

Mott's APBT's Big Dog

thanks for everyones input.no one offended me in anyway.thanks again

18. Attila

Attila Guest

That is a good looking dog. You can have the sperm collected from him and frozen for later use in artificial breeding. Safe no hassle Actually more productive as they can get more than one breeding out of each collection. It will last even after your stud dog is long gone.

An idea.

19. I completely agree with Patch....inbreedings have to be done right, with alot of experience behind the person doing them......too many dogs just dont turn out like you think they will!! as far as 1/2 brother 1/2 sister....alot of people do that, its not as bad...not nearly as bad, and your keeping the blood close to home!!

20. simms

simms CH Dog

I dont know, you stole my line tho....LOL