1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

unusual activities you do to keep your dog fit?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by blanch, Aug 14, 2010.

1. noblebostons

noblebostons Big Dog

just kidding about this by the way. I bet at least a couple people thought I was serious. I can only hope someone really took it to heart and tried it out :dogtongue:

2. Jux

Jux Pup

i just bult an a frame an was wondering if i should use ,wood slats,carpet ,or shingles for tread????

3. noblebostons

noblebostons Big Dog

carpet seems like it would be best because of the added traction and less chance of the dog injuring it's feet.

4. blanch

blanch Big Dog

ive only seen carpet used and don't know of it ever injuring a dog.

5. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I have my dog jump up and off the bed chasing a toy. That's a little unusual right? Lol

6. TheIII

TheIII Big Dog

Just use very low grade carpet....mine ripped out his whole nail when it got snagged on the house carpet.

7. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

haha do you mean that she may try to jump over the edge of the ledge? that won't happen she knows to run down the steps correctly :dogtongue:

8. blanch

blanch Big Dog

mine would either do that or just try and jump down all the stairs at once

9. widerange

widerange Big Dog

read one time that osme people place plywood over the bed of their trucks and let the tailgate down so the dogs can jump up and down from the ground to the tailgate to the plywood and back. never tried it but seems like if done in a safe manner would work and be kinda unusual.

10. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

haha I see mine will fly down so quickly at times she's skip the last 3 steps around the corner to the second floor, that's about as much as she'll skip which is good because I wouldn't want any injuries. When we don't play fetch I can just stand about half way on the steps and tell her to go up and down and she will gladly run back and fourth on the steps ;)

11. SeanM

SeanM Pup

The only thing that I do that's a little different is I play frisbee with Cash. I use a kong frisbee so we play tug when he brings it back so Is a good work out for me and him pluss its fun. That's the only thing that I do different.

12. quinny

quinny Big Dog

Now it's warming up a bit here I recently started swimming my boy behind or beside the boat. He absoloutley loves it. I guess similar principle to a swim tank just more fun for both of us. He has taken to swimming a good foot or two under the water to investigate the weeds, logs and fish and what not. So every 15-20mtrs or so he bomb dives under and comes back up a few seconds later sometimes with something in his mouth.:)

13. quinny

quinny Big Dog

And sprinting around the sand dunes this time of year is tops for him. Not too hot, not too windy!

14. SeanM

SeanM Pup

I wish Cash liked water but he hates it. I would love for him to swim.

15. blanch

blanch Big Dog

have you tried getting in with your dog on a lead? i done this with my lurcher/gundog i built it up until we got deep enough for him to have to swim,done that every couple of days for a few week's until he stopped resisting going in and got used to it,
    then just go near the water on hot day's, when he's going in by himself to cool down start playing fetch with small toy's or sticks in shallow water (not ball's because he will swallow water when it comes to deeper water) gradually patiently build up the depth you throw the toy into to.
    also it will help if he can see another dog playing this.
    hope that helped

16. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

haha my little girl loves to play like that and i was hoping she do it only on my bed, bud they play on all the beds upstairs and on all the couches down floor. on the stairs allso they play, bud that makes me verry mad, im always afread they will hurt themzelfs and fall down..

and indeed whit a toy and my girl make it looks like flirting and show is on lollll..

its so much fun it always ends up my little girl telling me to let the dog jump higher/faster and grazyer:p lovely it is.
    and before you know its a ouher further:rolleyes:.. and the dog is tyred like he did a 3 ouher walk and run free lolllll

17. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

How could I forget to mention the boomer ball! It's Deeohgee's LIFE! lol

[​IMG]

Although I can't really work her to hard. ACL surgery that acts up if she gets too much excersise which sucks as mentally she's all GO GO GO! :(

18. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

boomer is greaht, bowlingball allso.
    take the balls in to water and its greaht... watche close on open water!!!
    best is a pool.:)

19. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

20. blanch

blanch Big Dog

any hole's a goal :dogtongue: