1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

underweight during keep

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by teras, Sep 25, 2010.

1. teras

teras Big Dog

in one of fat bill's video, cant remember now which one, he talks briefly and shows a dog he got from uk (if i remember correctly). a skinny crazy dog.

in there, he says that the guys who got it from said they work their dogs a little underweight throughout the keep, and then in the last few days they bring the weight up.

this of course isnt inline with what we see from keeps in history of the breed, and i'd like to ask if any of you have heard, read, etc anything on this kind of practice. just wanna see if it was just a one-off or if this practice was common.

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

have seen it before- one well known example is jimmy boots

3. oldtymer

oldtymer Top Dog

The dog in question would have been Fat Bill's Ch John Wayne ( search for the story on here ) I think you'll find Mayfield would strip a dog right down (under weight ) then through the keep bring the dog up to its contracted weight.;)

4. oldtymer

oldtymer Top Dog

5. carverboy1

carverboy1 Big Dog

If you going to the dog show in NJ, he probably be there and he always got packets.lol

6. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

The only reason I wouldn't do that maybe in the very very very begining weeks in maybe a pre keep but throughout, the muscles and joints will be starving for nutrition even if you supplemented it. IMO right now. I am getting a better understand of this type of mal nutrition now, give me a couple more weeks in cell biology and I might be able to help answer this better, I am currently writing a thesis paper on muscle nutrition now. The only thing I can think of getting a dog that low in weight is to get rid of the inside fat off the body but that be done with intense mill work and hand walking with a bike. A lot of what I know about conditioning came from a good friend of mayfield / clouse, those two men had a hell of program as well. Good posting and should make a kick ass thread. That jimmy boots keep always seem a little extreme, that is one thing I hate about written keeps, how much is really true and btw the fat bill's powerman keep or dogman 2000 whatever has worked well for people from what I am being told.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
  7. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

its been done many times, some say that bringing up their weight at the end makes them alot stronger

8. we works ours at around 1/3 to 1/2kg under, he looses this in the first 1/2hour anyway and now will be used to work and recover at that weight

9. popper

popper CH Dog

i dunno .. seems funny... Maybe the body is starving for nutrients. I remeber wheni would lean up strip all the fat off my body , then i would start pounding down somefood my body would just absorb all the nutrients and i would get as strong as a ox so fast with no fat gain. almost tricking your body. but some of those written keeps are crazy.. i saw one were i am pretty sure he let the dog run on the mill for 3 hours straight among doing other things also

10. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

That is similar to what I was told about starting weight, about 2-3lbs under to start but the dog should have that weight back in pure muscle within 3 weeks at least. Start them out a little low to allow room to build them up.

11. eddieem

eddieem Big Dog

i buy into keeping them a couple pounds over within there contest weight at all times...not to hard on the dog,trying to cut alot of weight...i cant see you putting on 3lbs of muscle in 3 weeks..not straight muscle atleast..but i never tried it

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
  12. popper

popper CH Dog

can be done ... like i said when i would lean up and burn of the fat and keep cals way down while intense workouts, i then would keep intense work up while loading up the cals ... Muscle would pile on , get real real vasculare and get strong as hell FAST... would blow up in those 2 to 4 weeeks.. your body just soaks up all those nutrients and iutilizes em well... body lays down leanmuscle mass

13. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

underweight during keep = calling wrong weight

14. New England

New England Banned

I agree with striping a dog down in a pre keep and losing that internal fat with a proper diet,green's and such,I don't know about the whole knox gelatin thing but getting him lean as possible and then adding cal's as the keep get's harder,seem's alot easier than trying to cut and gain strength at the same time.Egg's and spinach while keeping him dry as possible one guy told me.

15. general

general Big Dog

would you please go into detail and explain the above comment !!