1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ummm... how is this possible?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by poundAPBT, May 21, 2008.

1. poundAPBT

poundAPBT Big Dog

2. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Purple ribbon is not a show designation. It simply means that a certain number of a dog's ancestors have been registered w/ the UKC.

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

What ABK said. 'PR' isn't really something that matters when it comes to the quality of dogs. Its just a registration formality. (And something that amateurs throw around to impress others. LOL) Terra, for example, is not 'PR', but that doesn't mean for one second she's of lesser quality than my two 'PR' dogs.

4. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

that's the cutest damn lil piggy i ever did see :D

5. poundAPBT

poundAPBT Big Dog

Ah, alright, somewhere I read that Purple Ribbon means at least 8 generations of "champion" dogs. It was probably from an ambully site... I shouldn't of trusted it.

But still, with ambullies, obviously they're mixed. Are their pedigrees just a bunch of BS?

6. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

use the search function on this site.

you'll save yourself and everyone a bunch of time getting riled up.

7. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Here is an explanation of PR direct from the UKC's website:

Purple Ribbon: "Purple Ribbon" is a distinction UKC gives to a dog if all 14 ancestors within a dog's three generation pedigree (parents, grand parents, great grandparents) are each registered with United Kennel Club.

Purple Ribbon is indicated by the letters “PR” at the beginning of a dog’s name and also by a comma (,) instead of a dash (-) within the dog’s UKC number. For example: a dog named 'PR'Smith’s Spot with UKC # U100,000 is Purple Ribbon
    but Johnson’s Duke (P200-000) is not Purple Ribbon.

In order to receive a complete Seven Generation pedigree (showing 254 ancestors), the dog’s parents must both be registered as Purple Ribbon. A Six Generation pedigree for the dog that was not produced by Purple Ribbon parents may have some “Open” entries depending on the availability of pedigree information on record with UKC.

UKC will automatically add the letters 'PR' to the beginning of the dog's registered name and the 'PR' will not count toward the 30 characters and spaces limitation for the allowable length of the dog's registered name.

8. Very good posts ABK. To add to the above as well. UKC tends to allow dogs of which are considered APBT's but as you can clearly see are not. The APBT does not look like the picture that is/you posted. But a lot of the people that do not know any better, will fall head over heels in love with that dog because of it's "PR" status. What a shame.

9. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Slip soc sol wue aposdo ffne sdedf sllelfmdo
    fwoefo'
    sadfnasd;fas;f;j

10. May I ask "what does that mean"?

11. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I had my foreign language tool bar turned on. It was typing in tongues!!

Please excuse me

12. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Let us be fair. There are also bullies in the ADBA, and standard dogs in the UKC. Registry does not designate the quality of the dog. ;)

13. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

There are a few schools of thought on this subject, people have gone round and round debating if they are pure or not. I look at in a simple form, regardless of if they were mixed or not that particular style of dog cannot perform any real athletic task and should not be compared to its ancestors due to thier night & day abilities.

14. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

I was told it is easy to hang papers on a dog. All you have to do is get it registered with say the CKC, then go from there. I know there are inspectors, I think that is what they are called, which are usually judges that can evaluate the dog and register it with the UKC if they think it meets the standard. Who knows, I aint saying this happens, but a couple of bills might help it meet the standard to the wrong person and then you have a UKC registered dog. Not sure how the ADBA works. I don't think they are that easy. Again, I don't know. But it sure makes you think about it when you have dogs registered with the UKC as I do and then they are registering those bullies and calling them the same as my dogs. Which I am sure some ADBA people are offended that I call my "show stuff" apbts. Oh yeah and don't forget the pitterstaffs (pits mixed with amstaffs) that show against us in the ring. My dogs don't look like them. When someone says they don't look different, I know they don't really know what they are talking about. Every now and then, I run across a person ringside that tells me I had the only true apbt in the ring. The rest of the dogs scream staff to them.
    But the best part yet is that BSL doesn't discriminate. They are all pit bulls and, according to them, deserve to die.

15. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

As far as the UKC goes, I'm pretty sure they only do the inspections for those dogs single-registering from another org. they recognize, like the AKC or ADBA. They don't recognize CKC papers (assuming you're talking about the Crap... errr Continental Kennel Club). As far as I'm concerned, all CKC, APBR, etc., papers are hung, since they're based in registries that don't discriminate at all.

From what I've heard, folks can easily hang papers by saying such-and-such dog whelped 10 puppies when in fact there were only 6, and selling the remaining registration slips to anybody who wants them.

16. This is very true. But you must admit that when you see those dogs, you can almost bet they are UKC registered, and less than half are dual registered with ADBA/AADR! ;)

17. ARAPBT

ARAPBT Pup

I have seen more junk bully crap registered with the ADBA than the UKC. Dave Wilson and the Razor's Edge crap started with the ADBA and then registered with the UKC as well.

18. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Don't forget the Whopper dogs. They originated with the ADBA, too.

19. ARAPBT

ARAPBT Pup

I can't stand when some idiot says "I gotz me purple ribbon bloodline" There is no such thing!
    Yeah, the majority of bully crap I have seen is ADBA registered. A lot of it has to do with the weight pull people as well wanting bigger and bigger dogs for the most weight pulled title, but the main thing came from the big blue Razor's Edge, Greyline, Gotty crap. At least they started their own ABKC show now and are not calling them pit bulls.
    I think you will see the bigger conformation dogs at more UKC SHOWS than at ADBA SHOWS but no registry is immune to junk, mixed breeds, or paper hanging in general.
    Now I will say that the UKC breed type has gone to crap since people win in the UKC conf ring with everything from 35lb game dogs to 85 lb bully crap in one single show. Mostly because the UKC has changed their standard a dozen times over the years and now has the anything goes policy as far as registering. A UKC judge told me that they are supposedly shutting down the single registering policy and that dogs are only going to be allowed a performance registration number to only compete in events such as weight pull, agility, OB, etc. The UKC is slowly turning into the AKC 2.0 version in my opinion. The majority of what is winning is Amstaff type dogs and a blend POS. I don't really mind the blends as long as the dogs are standard size, have balance, and still have heat/attitude to them, but witnessing 85lb fat lazy dogs win CH classes that are afraid of their own shadows are ridiculous. The judging is the worst. The UKC has such a variety of judges like AKC amstaff judges now and that is really getting ridiculous. I had a judge tell me my 50lb bitch(UKC weight) is small and another say she is "gamey". LOL What does that mean? WTF? Last I checked 50lbs is the biggest a bitch should get. Now I'm not saying all amstaffs or pittorstaffs are one way or the other. There are several dogs in the UKC top 10 that have some dual registered amstaffs in their peds that are game to the bone. I know one POS that has "accidentally" ended at least 6 or 7 dogs in yard accidents. I know a 38lb bitch registered as both UKC and AKC that has ended 2 dogs in a yard accident. I kept this bitch for a short time and she was one of the gamest dogs I've seen. But I will say the majority of the UKC dogs are more amstaff than pit bull when you get up in the CH and GRCH classes. You can pretty much put a CH title on anything in the UKC nowdays but getting the Grand title is difficult with a more true to type/standard as far as the origional APBT goes. Its really a matter of researching the judges and weeding out the judges that could care less about this breed. What I like about the ADBA shows is that its APBT's only so the judges should have several decades of hands on experience in the breed. The UKC confuses me how a lady that has devoted her life to poodles has the right to judge APBT's. There is no way a person can be an expert on over 200 breeds. I think that is lame.
    Back to the topic..........bullies and other crap is registered in AKC, UKC, and ADBA.
    Anyway, just my opinion.

20. NavasInc

NavasInc Big Dog

True!5 years ago a breeder did that to me. They threw the word "Purple Ribbon" around like it meant something special. It means excatly what was quoted above actually. But hey you live and you learn!! I agree as well though that it doesnt mean for one second that the dog is of lesser quality ethier