1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Two Dog Houses for 50 Dollars Total

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by jman11, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jman11

jman11 King of the Valley

Hello All
    This is just a rite-up of my activities yesterday. I built two dog houses total, One from the RB'S ONE SHEET DOGHOUSE on Peds Online, and one of the barrel doghouses with the plans from CaJacks book. The total cost not including my back-braking labor was 50 Bucks

55 Gal Blue Barrel - 15 Dollars
    1 Sheet 1/2 inch Plywood - 13 dollars
    Two 8-foot 2x4s
    One 8-foot 2x12
    Four 3-inch bolts nuts and washers - 17
    Screws - 3 Bucks
    One Can Grizzly Chewing Tobbacco- 2 Dollars

Total - 50 Bucks

( I have yet to put a rain gaurd on the barrel, but that will be made from scraps either way.)

Pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Heres one I built for $37 not counting paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

i'm gonna be building one soon, but its gonna be an insulated one with the hidden sleeping area. I'll take pics when its all done

4. jman11

jman11 King of the Valley

Stillwater,
    yours is VERY nice, the only thing i would change is turn the front upside down to keep the bedding in better. Im in Socal so the ones above arent built as hardcore as if it snowed here
    Nice though!

5. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

You are exactly right. This was a Proto-type. The rest, I moved door up 6".

6. yellaman420

yellaman420 Big Dog

Thats America right there jack! Build it yourself. I just got done w/ one myself.

7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Here are my winter houses. It wasn't too cold yet, we've been -40 below with windchill, and it's warm in that back room if they stay in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only downside, is they are wood. LOL As you can see, the one I happened to open for the inside pics, dogs like to chew on the boards. Also, I'd consider using a 2x4 in the opening, as the chain dragging in and out, will wear the bottom of the holes out. Really no problems, but if it is worn enough, a chain link could possibly get stuck in it I suppose. Quick fix to screw a short 2x4 in there.

I've got less than $100 in the first three I made, combined. First one took awhile to figure out what I wanted, second went quicker, third was done in no more than 30 minutes.

I loosely used someone elses design to model mine after. The rooms are the same size, a few things were incorrect and the materials listed wouldn't build one, but if you have any logic, you can figure out what you need to change and buy.

Up here, you need solid dog houses to help the dogs get through the winter comfortably. This winter has been especially horrible.

In the warmer months, I use barrels on a frame, with plywood attached to one side for shade, as well as something to lay on and bask in the sun.

Built these a few months ago, with every intention to put metal siding wrap on them to make them last much longer, since I used plain old OSB instead of treated, outdoor plywood. Then I started thinking with less than $30 in them, if if they last for one winter, it's already a deal. I'd be suprised if I don't get 7-8 at least out of them, stored inside in the summer.

Treated wood is an insane ammount more, and I've had problems in the past with dogs not fairing well living in them. What they treat the wood with is pretty serious stuff, I prefer to not have my dogs laying on it for hours a day.

In one of the pics, you can see my redneck, homemade, 20 dollar galvanized steel, completely protected, re-pairable (change the heat source with no hassle) heated water bowls ;)

8. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

14rock -

glad you posted pics, i was gonna sk, b/c i remember you saying you built them cheap.

i put one of these together a couple months ago -

http://wayneofthewoods.com/doghouse.html

didn't use treated wood, either. holds up great, and it's keeping the mutt warm (our OH winter has been shitty, too....inches of snow, it'll be 2 degrees tonight w/ freezing rain).

i like the removeable roof, it's easy to change the bedding. i switched to cedar chips b/c of moisture, don't want the straw irritating her skin.

only modification i did to the plans was lash a 2x4 to the side so i can anchor a piece of plywood on the side for shade and to keep her food and water out of the elements.

what plans did you fashion your houses out of? they look similar to that, or to these plans i've come across -

http://tidewaterkc.org/projects/insulated_dog_house.htm

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Here's what I went off. The basics are the same, same measurements, altered a bit of the 2x4's and things like that, but the plans listed is a fine dog house. Buy an extra 2x4 or two, omitted a few studs in the material list.
    http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/uniquekennels/doghouseblueprints.htm

When it gets real cold, I've found there is enough room to stick a bowl of food/water inside the room, just inside the corner where they won't knock it down getting in and out. If you don't make the entrance too large. Smaller it is, the less wind will get in ;)

10. Marty

Marty Guest

Damn, I got 9 I got to build and this is the style I'm going with... anyone want to help? LOL

11. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

thanks 14rock.

12. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i appreciate the plans man, im in the process of moving to the country. Maiden and Riot are gonna need some doghouses, so that helps a bunch! ive lived in town forever, and when we found this farmhouse w/ a huge yard, we jumped on it. you know what this means...another pup this spring, sweet!

13. Mott's APBT's

Mott's APBT's Big Dog

Kerg , Me and you should build about 15 of these next week haha.No but seriously we should.

14. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

put it on your charge card.....

15. Mott's APBT's

Mott's APBT's Big Dog

haha no doubt.Got most of the materials already though.Just need an extra set of hands.

16. True_Bulldog

True_Bulldog Big Dog

[​IMG]

These are over $100ea. They stay pretty warm inside and dry too. One dog started to eat from the inside out though. Maybe some a need total metal dog house.

17. True_Bulldog

True_Bulldog Big Dog

Your dogs don't chew and eat that metal off?

18. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Haven't yet.

19. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

True bulldog, very nice, "weatherproof" paint?

I really like metal edged dog houses, just takes quite a bit of time to make sure there are no sharp edges. A pair of snips, a hammer and dolly, some vice-grips and a beer or two and it makes for a much nicer dog house imo. Really like the angle iron on the entrance, might need to make an addition to mine ;)

This is why it's great to share pictures and ideas with other dogmen, you get some new ideas that you weren't thinking of! Homemade houses are the only way to go, never bought a dog house of any style I liked.

Next experiment, is trying to use up the cement board I've got laying around for an extremely durable, long-duration dog house. Chew-proof, chain-proof, tip em upside down and hose em out. Always liked the idea of concrete homes, but the cost of building them, with molds, and moving them, is something that never seemed beneficial for my situation. I think this will be a nice alternative, will post pics if I ever build one.

20. jason r

jason r Big Dog

woody and i built one of these saturday.still need to put shingles or something on the roof.will get pics on when dog house is 100% done.thanks rock for the posting the design.