1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Turpins blue trouble

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by calikeith, Dec 29, 2006.

1. calikeith

calikeith Big Dog

Ive heard alot about this dog and im wondering what you guys can tell me about him,apparently he is shrouded in controversy.Anyone have good first hand info about him.
    thanxs in advance....

2. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

you need to talk to chatnjack.

3. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I knew Trouble & his owner personally. We once got 2 dogs from ST.

Turpin's Blu Trouble (yes, his name is spelled "blu trouble" not "blue trouble") is a blue & white staff cross. His weight is 64lbs was whelped around the early to mid '90s.

He is sired Noble's Blaze of Glory, a dog of pure AmStaff breeding & out of Minter's Miss Sheba, who was Watchdog/Art bred. I did the figures once & found that Trouble is about 3/4ths staff.

The TNT line from S. Turpin was based on Blu Trouble & his mother Sheba.

Trouble is pointed in both weight pull & the conformation ring. He is also a 3xw but the overwhelming majority of serious fanciers think the reports were faked b/c Trouble looked untouched. In fact, the former owner of the SDJ flat out refused to give Trouble a CH. certificate even though all his goes were SDJ reported b/c Trouble looked "too clean."

As a side note, both myself & my spouse have seen Trouble in pics, on video & in person & in every instance he was as clean as a whistle.

Plus, the game dog fraternity got suspicious b/c she only claimed to hunt dogs after her & RB got into it over the subject of pit bulls vs. staffs. She never claimed to hunt dogs before that, but after that she began reporting all these wins on her dogs.

However, I got it straight from S.Turpin herself that the goes were legit, BUT ... she hooked into the 1st dog that came along, so all her early goes - to include all of Trouble's - were against cotton ball dogs that Trouble just bowled over. That & good aftercare would account for his untouched appearance.

But even if the goes were legit, serious doggers still scorn the line b/c his 3 wins were into do-nothing dogs. It would be like taking my old staff mix dog & putting her on a hunt card against a German shepherd & calling it a win. I mean, she was hunting again Chinaman dogs coming in at 62lbs. Give me a break.

The good news is that ST did learn from that. She has sinced begun paying more attention to detail. Some reputable dogmen saw her most recent champion, a dog named Grim go & had nothing but good things to say about him. But that may be b/c Grim is a black dog. If he were blue, the reviews may have come back different.

An interesting side note - now that ST has put more emphasis on true gameness, she is producing fewer & fewer blues in her program as well.

Most other blue lines are overdone, non-standard leash orniments that don't have the drive to catch a mouse. And most carry health defects to boot. The Turpin line however is for the most part conformation correct, healthy & drivey. But I wouldn't consider it a "gamedog" line & I would put little to no stock in the wins posted on the Turpin/TNT dogs.

But if you're into blues IMO it's one of the best blue lines out there, even though it is staff bred. The only other blue blood I'd place above it might be the blue Skull dogs & the Talamo blood.

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  4. calikeith

calikeith Big Dog

very interesting abk,That sounds like some really great first hand info.anyone else have a thought on blu trouble?ABK,

DO YOU MIND IF I CROSS POST YOUR RESPONSE TO ANOTHER SITE?
    THNX IN ADVANCE....

5. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

No, I do not mind. If you don't mind me asking, what site is it? I might like to swing by for a visit if I could.

6. calikeith

calikeith Big Dog

the site is www.gopitbull.com.

when you say former owner of the sdj are you talking about Jack Kelly?.
    thanx..

7. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Yes.

Thanks for the link. ;)

8. I'll chime in here a minute. For the record, I'm not a blue dog breeder and bred only fastlane game dogs. But I'm gonna go on defense for the TNT dogs for a minute. Several of my close friends, who are game dog breeders to, are into the TNT line. I don't know about Trouble's wins, but I have seen decent dogs off him, and more than just a few. Now if your looking for a fastlane bulldog to win, Theres other lines bred just for that. But I've seen some dogs that came from Gail Condra catch and slam 350lb. boar. From what I've seen, the TNT dogs are the most conformationally correct with good drive and attitude than any other blue bred dog. My friend has seen some off of the dog Condra's Tug boat that he swears were game and that Tug was a very intense dog. There are some breeders that is working with the line in it's old original form (i guess), like HeadStrong Kennels, Kobalt Kennels and I believe a couple more, but try them, I hear they have some of the best from Gail's old stuff.

9. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Please remember, I have already stated that the Turpin line is for the most part conformation correct, healthy & drivey.

I also said IMO it's one of the best blue lines out there, even though it is staff bred. The only other blue blood I'd place above it might be the blue Skull dogs & the Talamo blood.

But I did also say I wouldn't consider it a "gamedog" line & I would put little to no stock in the wins posted on the Turpin/TNT dogs. By TNT/Turpin I mean Trouble, Miss Sheba, Buckshot, Blu Rowdy, etc. & I wouldn't put any stock in them, not b/c they wouldn't go, but b/c of what ST has said about the goes (they were into anything).

Headstrong kennels is not working the line in it's original form. In fact, I think they are trying to make it into a bully line (see link) :(

http://www.freewebs.com/headstrongkennels/puppiesadultsforsale.htm

Also, just another little tid-bit here that might tickle some ribs: GC never, ever bred for game. Ever. ST & GC used to be partners, but once ST wanted to start doing dogs she & GC parted ways. GC didn't want a tooth put on any of her stuff. I got this straight from GC.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
  10. I'm sure your right about the Steph and Gail, all I know is the dogs I seen catch hogs were from Gail, not steph. And they were bigger, in fact one was out of that Dave dog that's got pups on the headstrong kennel site.
    No I wouldn't put stock in them as fastlane gamedogs like I said, but if you like a the blue, I'd go with that line. I'd say they would make great hog catching, weight pull and even conform. dogs. I've seen that blue skull dog, but not anything he's produced.

11. well this has been an interesteing read. Talk about good drive blue dogs. I am abeliever in conformational correct dogs. Not against blues. So this story was preatty interesting to me. I dont like big dogs in general if they are not standard. It is hard to find a good blue dog with good wind and bred to standard when it comes to blue. I will be giving positive feedback in this topic.

12. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Oh, if I had to recommend a line, the TNT line would be one I would recommend. Like I said before, the only other two I would put above it would be the Talamo dogs or the Skull bred dogs.

I've found the size varies from mid to large & it seems like the size has increased some over the years. TNT dogs now are a little big for my taste, but they seem to have very good drive. Of the two I got, the male was on fire, but the female was a nervous wreak who would pee on herself if she saw her own shadow. Oh well, what can ya do? *shrugs* There are nutjobs in every family tree.

Of the blue Skull dogs, like anything he's throwing good & bad. I doubt we will hear anything from him though b/c a pet owner has him now & I do not think they will be doing any more breeding w/ him.

The Talamo dogs are off the hook, but they a purebred blue Talamo dog is very hard to find.

13. CHATNJACK

CHATNJACK Big Dog

Is the Skull dog you're talking about "Ghost" ABK?

14. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Yes, he is one of them. But there were a couple in that litter that were blue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  15. CHATNJACK

CHATNJACK Big Dog

I really like the Skull blood because he is basically built on Bullyson and Art’s Missy, the sire and dam of my favorite dog of all times, Loposay’s Buster. I’m sure you already know that I’m no stranger to blue dogs ABK, which inevitably is what sparked my interest in Ghost. I actually considering buying him at one time but after a conversation I had with his former owner who was very up front and honest, I decided against it. Not because of our conversation but rather, the nature of it I assume is why he ended up in a pet home. Do you have any first hand knowledge of how any of Ghost's Siblings turned out?

16. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

No, sadly, I do not.

I had 3 pups off Ghost at one time & Epp didn't mention anything out of the way about him. They were all some good acting pups.

I don't think Ghost ever threw a blue nor did his sisters. But the ppl who had them weren't breeding for it either.

I'd love to get my hands on some of that Talamo stuff, but it's proving to be hard to find. I found some once, but it was mixed w/ TNT stuff, which I didn't want.

I have heard you have some very nice, typey blues. Could you PM me some peds please? I'd love to see what you're working with.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007