1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Tucked Loin?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Iverson's Pits, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Just A Question For You Conformation Fanciers....someone Who Was Banned From This Board A While Ago Told Me That In This Picture, The Dogs "loin Was Tucked"....meaning That He Doesn't Get Enough Food, Like Im Starving Him. I Know This Not To Be True - He Eats Plenty, And He Eats Well (dick Van Patton Natural Balance)....i Was Just Wondering What The Show-people Had To Say About This...as I've Never Competed A Dog In Conformation, And Was Under The Impression That A 'tucked Stomach' Was To Be Desired. Any Thoughts?

Ps: No, This Is Not A Game-bred Dog. He Is Basically 1/2 Castillo & 1/2 York.

Attached Files:

Bullyboi likes this.
  2. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Well, at least you know why he was banned.

I'm not a conformation expert but the dog looks great to me.

3. jesika27

jesika27 Pup

I think he looks great :)
    I'm no expert and I know its not the same but my GSD mix has a nice noticable tuck and she eats very well also (Innova)...
    I think the reason some people say things about fit dogs with a nice tuck is because they are used to seeing overweight dogs..

4. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

He looks great to me as well.

5. pancho

pancho Guest

It will depend a lot on which registration you would like to show him. ADBA likes the leaner conditioned look, UKC likes the heavier well fleshed look.
    Years ago the Castillos had some good dogs. York has always been UKC and AKC dogs. From the picture he would do a little better in the UKC shows.
    He is a great looking dog.

6. THANKS. I KNOW THAT EVEN AT AN EXTREMELY CONDTIONED LEVEL, HE'D STILL BE TOO BIG FOR ADBA. HE'S IN THE MID-HIGH 60'S IN THAT PICTURE. I'D LIKE TO SHOW HIM IN UKC, BUT I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO GET STARTED. I JUST MOVED TO A NEW STATE AND DONT THINK THERE ARE UKC EVENTS ANYWHERE NEAR ME.

PERSONALLY, I LIKE HIS LOOK. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE MORE TIME TO CONDITION HIM, BUT FOR NOW, I LIKE HIS BUILD. I JUST WANTED TO GET AN ADBA OPINION ON A 'TUCKED LOIN'...CUZ I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THAT. I FIGURED IT WAS B.S. COMING FROM HER (AND BY ME SAYING 'HER'...ALOT OF YOU PROBABLY KNOW WHO IM TALKING ABOUT)

7. NOVICE

NOVICE Big Dog

It should be tucked.

8. pancho

pancho Guest

To show in UKC he will need a few more pounds. The UKC does not like the tucked look. He should do good. He has the build and the look. He does come from some very good UKC show dogs.

9. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

The ADBA prefers to see a well muscled, no extra fat, nicely tucked dog. They should be shown well conditioned. A tucked tummy shows that there is no or little internal gut fat, which is preferable for the working dog. Internal body fat is not considered healthy on a working dog.:)

10. well to me iverson for a dog of that breeding,he looks just fine.i wouldnt change his weight one bit he is filled out nice with out looking like a hog.how big is he around 65-75?

11. squirt07

squirt07 Big Dog

That is a well conditioned, good looking dog. Nice job.

12. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

The loin should be broad and well muscled and the tummy should be tucked. To me he looks great.

13. THAT'S WHAT IM LOOKING FOR....NOW WHEN YOU SAY LOIN VS. TUMMY...COULD YOU EXPAND ON THAT?

14. I'VE HAD HIM AS HIGH AS 78# AND AS CONDITIONED AS 61# (NOT PEAK CONDITION). ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I'VE WEIGHED HIM, BUT IN THAT PICTURE, I'D HAVE TO GUESS BETWEEN 66-69#. I'LL WEIGHT HIM THIS WEEKEND.

15. I'm just trying to get an grasp on all this conformation jargon....cuz in my experience....none of this stuff has ever mattered. Gameness first. Well, making a transition into show dogs is a little hard for me. Well....appearantly this banned chick is still on this forum, cuz she wrote this to me:

"i saw your thread on game-dog.... you have no idea what you are talking about. its called a "sucked in loin" not a "tucked" loin... there is a difference.
    a sucked in loin is from the side view the lion sucks in from the ribs.... the dogs should have muscle over the loin also.
    a "tucked" loin is GOOD... its the underneath of the loin where it goes up from the ribs. some dogs are built to have it some are not... for example britney will never have a "tucked" loin.
    a good indacator to tell how your dog is in shape is the "lat muscle" (the muscle over the ribs) it should be visible if your dog is worked out.... and has most ribs showing.
    hank greenwood himself told me about the sunk loin and how thats a signal of stavation. maybe you should study the body parts a little better.
    and how dare you talk about how i "am" on boards behind my back.... since you "agree" on what im saying most the time you said but thats a bunch of BULL."

haha...appearantly my dog is suffering from 'starvation' !!! lol. I would love to get back into conditioning my dogs, but over the last 7 months (moving back from japan and buying a new house in a new state, etc) i have not had the time to do what i want with my dogs. and I feel horrible for the lack of quality time, but its not like they're neglected. when stuff calms down around here...i will put my current dogs on my old workout plan, and will condition them properly. until then...

16. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

well,,,I am not sure what she is talking about,,when I show I like a nice under tuck,,I stack my dogs in the ring,,no matter what breed,,it just makes for a better presentation,,,if there are flaws u can hide them when you straighten the dog out and present the good and hide the bad,,,the loin or tummy loin or lack of or whatever is not a sign of starving,,not sure what thats about

17. Marty

Marty Guest

Maybe they will reply to this pic and educate us...
    [​IMG] :D

18. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

I think both yall dogs look great.

19. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Yes...the loin and the tummy are two different areas. The tummy being underneath the dog, basically the stomach area. The loin area is between the ribs and the hip. I used a pic of my dog and added color to the areas in question. The yellow outline is the loin and the red outline is the tummy. Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

20. diggit

diggit Banned

o.k o.k..... here we go:

as for the loin part yes scratchin dog and is right! loin is differnt and LILbit and angus are the best examples for a GREAT tuck of the tummy and they DO NOT have sucked in loins..! thye have lat muscles and they show the "line" definition for almost each muscle and they should be very proud of the work they have done.

for rock you can see behind the ribs it goes in quite a ways... and he doesnt have much definition. but there is nothin wrong with it, your learning about confo and conditioning and thats what counts....you should have asked ME what i ment instead of going behind my back tho... thats just rude.

now on the baned part...

in the past i bashed the way game dogs looked.... and with a little education and patience i now understand what a TRUE APBT looks like and now i just love it!!
    i went to a ADBA sow last june and leaned a lot from hank greenwood at his seminar for conformation. after that there was no question about it i LOVE the working ability and the heart that i seen at the show...

after that AC offered me a pup. she is a Alligator/red-boy/eli pup and she is amazing.... i have done a lot of research on my dogs and everything else too.

i will never buy another UKC dog again (no offence) but i dont like what i see in the pedigree's and they lack working ability and ect. i also dont like the size of the dogs they are too hard to control.

sorry :(