1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to build drive, need help!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Loyal_bully619, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I adopted a beautiful blue male pit a while ago and looking to work him out and get his energy focused on to play and not destroying my house lol. He's wide and stocky very bully like and although he does great on a spring pole, he only does it for about 3 minutes and it's mainly chewing on it and loses interest! He has a "high prey drive" because he will go crazy for a squirrel or cat or raccoon crossing the street, and loves chasing his soccer ball but he doesnt care much for his spring pole setup! Can I some how increase his drive for it? Also the mouth piece is a rope and I'm using a 51lb spring work load.

Thanks in advance!

2. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

he either has it or doesn't, some dogs just don't care about tugging. chasing a cat or a squirrel could also be a big bluff, there are just moving things but I doubt the dog would actually do something to them.

Take it easy on the bully, they weren't build for strenuous activities and you can end up hurting it.

3. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

There's a youtube video of a guy putting the springpole at ground level so his dog didn't hurt the joints. Do that a little each day to build up his endurance. Also may think of making a flirtpole to help build endurance, also a fun way to get you involved. Good luck

4. MCS

MCS CH Dog

If you think he likes chasing shit n want to work him out try a flirt pole

5. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

BINGO!!!!! It aint rocket scince guys and a 51 lb spring is kinda puss dont ya think give him something to snach on try a 150 then go on to a 300 , Of course after you build some air in the house dog. Do short burst let him calm then bust him again and get is recovery time less start watchinh something besids his head watch his back end. Oh and start feeding a RAW diet, That is one of the ways to start reverting him to a dog again

6. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i'd say a flirt pole is a less effective alternative

7. And learn to use the flirt pole correctly, a flirt pole can be a torture device in the hands of the dumb

8. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

100 % agree especially if his conformation is as described!

9. Thanks guys! It's my first "bully" but have had apbt most of my life. Never had this problem before! Yes I agree the 51lb spring is puss but it's just to start him a lil bit! He eats totw high prairie along with chicken hearts and livers, beef, bison and tripe! But his build is sketchy! Wide and short at the shoulders! He has wind but not for major work. honestly he is a great rescue and protective of the home...

10. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

try a cowhide on your springpole instead of the rope...

otherwise, i agree with the flirtpole option.

i use the hide on both

11. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

DP why do you think this?

12. I think the cow hide would be best but where do I get one? I have noticed that the rope may be to hard for him, how big of a hide?

13. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

im pretty sure Boogieman sold hides in the past.

14. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

Overtyme Kennels sells hide. Stillwater usually does, but he's out right now.

15. Jim R

Jim R Banned

too hard? (that's not what she said...)

soak that hard thang in water for a minute

16. Bluedog

Bluedog Big Dog

Flirtpole would make him go nuts, try it out

17. Jim R

Jim R Banned

but seriously, try a hose with a jet nozzle. spray it full force at the ground and see if he chases where the water hits the ground. i had an amstaff that used to LOVE this chase. he would get ubber excited at the mere sound of turning on the hose. it also makes water FUN!!

he may go for the nozzle once he gets riled up. LOL

18. Thanks for all the advice everyone! He went nuts trying to get some geese earlier today, and he did not want to play with them! I was very shocked to see how hard he pulled

19. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

"and he did not want to play with them!"

How do you know this? Your Bully has the Chihuahua syndrome lol

20. liquorice kid

liquorice kid Big Dog

Best with the Bully's is to stick a carrot in his bum !