1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Truth Or Myth

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by coco0889, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

Some times I have to really wonder why I respond to some people!!
    Are you really serious or just impress to see yourself posting?

Dogs DO have pores on their pads!
    They don't have glands like they have in their mouth...

Blowing on their ass is better then this:

"Pit Dog you cool down first, depending on who's turn it is to scratch, if it isn't your turn then you wipe out the mouth, then to cool the dog down the sponge or rag you can either put it on their balls, neck/throat area so the air is cooled when it breaths, or under the spine area in the chest or at the base of the neck by the shoulder area where one of the main part of the central nervous system is.
    And the last thing to do is make sure to ring out all the water on the area of which the other dog is working. This is to make it slippery and for the other dog to swallow blood, water and hair hoping later on it will make the other dog noxious."

You can stick your whole head up their ass and won't cool down a dog by blowing into it!

I can tell by reading this you have never showed a dog....

2. Lol Iron Mike...your ways make a b!tch lap feel good....

Why you post?

I hope for the benefit for those that DO want to learn and want to do right by their dogs (not saying 14rock does not).

If you do not mind clarifying something.....could you please restate the different method of cooling a dog (pre-1976) when its his turn scratch against when it is not? Do experienced dogmen use the same methods or does it depend on preferences or dogs?

Thanking you in advance.

Rocky H. Balboa

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  3. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Do you even read the posts?

I clearly agreed they cool-down through their PADS. I thought that was obvious, that I was excluding the pads. Must of been lost on you.

Also made it perfectly clear, I did not know if blowing on the rectum will cool a dog down, and that I have never done it ;)

Your damn right, I've never shown a dog. LOL!

4. reddog

reddog Pup

If you do not mind clarifying something.....could you please restate the different method of cooling a dog when its his turn "pull" against when it is not? Do experienced dogmen use the same methods or does it depend on preferences or dogs?

Thanking you in advance.

Rocky H. Balboa[/QUOTE]Rocky,The first thing you want to do is check to see if your dog is fanged.Wash out there mouth then with cool water, soak there arm pits,back and front,thats where a lot of blood vessels are.If you cool the blood you cool the dog,just a bit.Ive never seen a dogman blow on a dogs anything!

5. Thank you reddog for your thoughts. I knew about what you mentioned......just wanted to hear IM take on the differences (in pre-1976 laws) of cooling a dog when it is his time to scratch against when it will be scratched upon. I believe he made a clear distinction between both.

6. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

I learned this years ago from Joe Corvino and watched Sonny many times handling.

The logic was when it is your turn to scratch you don't wipe the mouth because cooling the mouth, late in the show, will distract and maybe cool the dog down to much.
    You want him to be thinking only of returning to the action and keeping him ready to return scratch.

When it isn't your turn, you wipe the mouth because wiping the mouth will cool the dog down same as giving him water or ice chips.

When you wipe the mouth you clear the mouth and make breathing air cooler.
    When a dog cools down to much, late in the show, you give him a chance to think about the show and when they think about it, they think about quiting, as we all know, 9 out of 10 dogs showed, will quit.

7. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

If you are paying attention during the action you should know whether your dog is fanged or not.
    This is part of the strategy of a handler with in the first 10 minutes of the show whether his dog has the mouth, ability and speed over the other dog.
    Once he knows, then he can decide whether or not he wants to make this a long show or a short one.:)

8. Boze

Boze Top Dog

Great answer i am no as experienced as you two are, but i just finished reading The rocca fighting for life book and he was talking about dights where staffs have been quite game and have beaten pitbulls on ocasion i believe whuile thes pitbulls are very game there are more ways to display gameness other than fighting i mean seriously a mountain lion is no joke those things are huge and patterdales are like what 30 lbs if that aint game then i dont no what is some dogmen may think that pitbulls are the most game and that may be true but should give the respect to another breed that is also puting their lives at great risk

9. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

you are incorrect

and Iron Mike is the most experienced dogman on this forum, everyone can learn something from him.

10. Boze

Boze Top Dog

Have yo ever seen or read about badger trials, some say that is a better tyest of gameness than fighting other dogs because the dogs have to find that badger in the tunnel and are not allowed to make any noise then they are on there bellies and have no way to turn around away the badger they have to fight the badger and grab onto it and then wait for the handler to grab the badger and there were many different types of terriers used and they proved to be very game

11. GABulldog

GABulldog Big Dog

dude i grew up in PR and seen many many cock fights growing up and knew many breeders that had game fucking birds man...game birds are bout it no matter what anyone says...then afterwards we had fried chicken. sorry that just grabbed my attention.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  12. Boze

Boze Top Dog

great post also some dogs that would do go great and prove game for another handler can still be game these are animals not machines mayb sometimes they just dont feel like fighting i will say i have never seen a fight so i am just stating some that i think could be true i have we really dont no why the dog dont scratch but if they will prove game for some and not for others then wouldnt there be some reason other than there gameness

13. Boze

Boze Top Dog

you really knew bob hemphill that must have been awesome i reall wished i lived back in the days of real dogmen that honestly is one of the biggest wishes iv had i would love to get to talk to someone like floyd boudreaux or james crenshaw

14. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i am new to this site i meant no disrespect to iron mike he knew some good dog men from wat i have read so anything he would tell me i would take that advice very seriously and be honored that he would give me any advice as i said a have no hands on experience but i live these dogs i think trhey are the best animals alive and i have done much research i have read many historical documents i honestly am obsessed it is all i do is read aboout the dogs from the old days and about the old time dogmen so someone like iron mike whose knows these great dogmen is someone who i wish i was him because that is all i want to do is be ablr to talk dogs with the real deal. and as far as i can tell iron mike looks like the real thing

15. Boze

Boze Top Dog

Incorrect about what. about staffs beating pitbulls. back then they were the same bread while some were bred for show they still had fighting bloodlines. and considering what I said came straight from the writiing of someone as experienced as frank rocca i am inclined to believe what he has seen with his own eyes over your assumptions

16. FLpits

FLpits Big Dog

the Colby family would probally know this better than anybody since they've been breeding this dog longer than anybody, but Diane Jessup thinks there pure old bull dog and she's friend with the Colby family. I think there all bulldog and the american and terrier are just names add on later down the road.

17. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i am not arguing but have you seen some pitbulls they look like terriers take STP's buck for ex look at his face structure and his muzzlu his muzzle is kind of long also if you watch the way terriers play and act there are many similarities to the pit bull also take the color of pit bulls according to history bulldogs were buckskin

18. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

I know this is off topic, but all this talk about big cats and dogs has made me remember a gentleman speaking of dogs and bears. Would the same strategy of many smaller dead serious terriers and some larger PBs bringing the prey down work with a bear...like a grizzly???? I can't wrap my haed around this. And the gentleman I was referring to said it was a huntin dogs owners worst nightmare..the dogs would certainly go after the bear but hardly ever come out alive?????

19. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I do believe that there is some terrier blood in these dogs. Do I believe it's a 50/50 mix? Heck no. I think this dog has more bulldog than anything. But terriers were amazing little ratters and often spent a lot of time in the pit...just not necessarily against other dogs.

And FLpits, Jessup is an idiot. She "hates" dogfighters & yada yada yada yet she wants them as her best friends to boost her own reputation among APBT owners. You're better off not ever paying attention to what comes out of her mouth.

For instance, she just recently sent out messages claiming she has some of Patrick's dogs and was looking for good, reputable homes for them. Funny, since she does NOT have the authority to do such a thing! Those dogs are still at the heart of a huge investigation. (if she even has any of the dogs at all)

20. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

Ive seen bear baiting tapes that were filmed in Pakistan (circa 2000) which involved dogs that looked like rangy bull terriers..The dogs have a name which slips my mind right now, but there is a website about them and appearantly they have been bred for such activities for many decades..The bears wore nose rings,and from what I saw didnt have any teeth but they still got open..The dogs would leap into the bear and take hold,and the bear would slam/swat the dogs for 3-5 minutes until the handlers would grab the dogs by a hind leg and use a rough impression of a breaking stick to seperate them..These bears were around 300-350lbs ( I might be a little light,but these were DEFINETLY not griizzlies..They looked like black bears,or maybe sun bears)and were never in any serious danger..These events are held in front of a couple thousand spectators,and from what I can tell were more of a "spectacle" than a real competition as there really isnt a way to "win"..

In my opinion there are only a few types of animals that would rather fight than run when NOT "backed into a corner",and the bear is not one of them..I think if 2-3 bulldogs were to take hold of a grizzly the bear would high tail it,and there is NO WAY the dogs would be able to "take him down"..If it was a mother bear with cubs I believe the dogs would be lunch..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008