1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Truth Or Myth

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by coco0889, Dec 27, 2007.

1. simms

simms CH Dog

C'mon now this is getting funny..... IF IM can dish it he can take it. IM has been around along time this aint his first rodeo....LOL

2. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

"In the early 1800's, some Bulldog breeders tried something new, hoping to breed faster, fiercer fighters. They bred the most formidable baiting and fighting Bulldogs with the toughest, quickest and bravest Terriers. This Cross was believed to enhance the fighting ability of the Bulldog by reducing his size while maintaining his strength and increasing his speed and agility. Although some historians say the smooth-coated Black-and-Tan and the White English Terrier (now extinct) were most frequently crossed with Bulldogs, others say the terriers were chosen only on the basis of gameness and working ability, and that a variety of terrier-like dogs were used. The result of these crosses was called the Bull-and-Terrier or the Half-and-Half. As time passed and Bull-and-Terriers were selectively bred, they became recognizable as an emerging breed.
    An early Bull-and-Terrier named "Trusty" was so famous in England that an article and picture of him appeared in an 1806 edition of The Sporting Magazine. The picture is the first one known of a Bull-and-Terrier cross. Trusty was "as renowned for his battles as Bonaparte," according to the article and "fought 104 battles and was never beat." Raised by a prizefighter and later owned by a succession of boxers, Trusty was eventually purchased by Lord Camelford and came to be known as Lord Camelford's dog. Later, his Lordship changed the dogs name to "Belcher" and presented him to "Fighting Jim Belcher", boxing champion of England. His Lordship explained that " the only unconquered man was the only fit master for the only unconquered dog."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
    jr Pit Guy likes this.
  3. reddog

reddog Pup

Hey DJ that cant be true cause accorting to this bunch of ''wanna be's''theres no such thing as a game terrier.Buy the way STP that was the term back in my day.newbe where the hell did that come from?And by the way I did put that question to real dog men,about working terriers having a much higher percentige of dead game pups and all agreed execpt Kenny Allen,but after a long talk and a little research he agreed.I understand his son is/was big into working jack russels.You young fellows might be the futeure and thats scary but get your head out of your asses.Stop talking about "stuff".Do your braggen with your dogs not your frigen computer!You know I dont know why I checked this out maybe find some of the old timers?But most are just wanna be's.

4. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

LOOK Im trying to have a serious discussion here with some people who know a thing or 2 about dogs and are man enough to agree and or disagree without disrespecting where one dogman or another has been...this thread is interfering with me being serious which dont happen to often so if your not on the current topic and or pointing relevent information about the truth myth or gameness of APBTs then shut the fuck up and go to another thread because I dont wanna read your drama between good posts.

5. castle

castle Big Dog

I dont doubt there was bulldog and terrier crosses in the early days ,the way an old hand said it to me was when they crossed the bulldog and the terrier and when selecting the pups they would have chosen the pups who more resembled the bulldog rather than the terrier for the pit so we would have had pitdogs with a dash of terrier blood being use in the pit and if they win then bred from for the pit
    Aslo the pups who resembled the terriers would have had a dash of bulldog blood and probably be used as terriers and bred back to the terriers
    What the old hand said as an example which is logical to me take the breeding of lurchers for running down prey you cross a collie with a greyhound to get a lurcher ,when you get the pups you pick the pups that more closely resemble the greyhound to use

6. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

Assuming this is aimed at me considering Im the only one you seem to have a quarrel with..
    "By the way STP was the term back in the day"..What is this suppose to mean?.If you are trying to insinuate that you used to hang out with these gentelmen I am not far at all from where they used to be,so if you REALLY have a problem with me you can PM me and we can talk..

"And by the way I did put that question to real dogmen about working terriers having a much higher percentage of DG pups and all agreed except for KA,but after a long talk and a little reshearch he agreed.." I dont think you are being truthful..Nothing more to it..

"You young fellows might be the future and thats scary but get your head out of your ass..Stop talking about all this stuff..Do your bragging with your dogs and not on your friggin' computer.." I dont know what this si suppose to mean..What stuff have I been talking about?..When have you heard me brag?.You dont even make sense dude,and all that wannabe stuff would go right out the window fast if we were face to face..

I think someone already mentioned that there is documented reports of bulldogs being in this country in there present form dating back as far as the 1850's..In my opinion anything before that really doesnt matter..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2008
  7. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

[font=&quot]Is this a question that really matters? No... Is there any ONE right or wrong answer? No... We can theorize all day long and still it changes nothing... I think you’re all right some strands of pit dogs being half and half and some stands being pure Bulldog... What IS TRUTH is that each strand bred best to the best they could find no matter what the combo because in the end that’s ALL that mattered to get the Job done.. So regardless of if we have Bull-Terriers or Bull-Dogs they are non the less Sporting Dogs, Pit Dogs, Game Dogs Fighting Dogs and Working Dogs.... WHAT IS IMPORTANT is that it is up to US to Preserve This Dog whatever the name it holds and ancestry behind it.... Papers change people lie But what cannot be altered is the truth of what really is. Best to Best from the Best to Get the Best. [/font]

8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

IM, there is no part of this incorrect. The most important part is " The dog man and the cocker handles their animals differently" for I was not referring to during the handle, when you have the time/tools to utilize better methods. Instead, during the other 90% of the fight, when you cannot put a hand/sponge on a dog, and are reduced to blowing/fanning/whatever to circulate the air over the most critical areas. For some dogmen, this includes blowing/fanning the dogs rectum to cool his internal temperature.

9. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

I seen men do that and other men flip out on them real quick, one time I saw a guy wearing a normal ball cap take it off and start using it as a fan on his tired and down dog.... and when someone called him on it he said "I came in with it on from the beginning with no complaints so its part of me and my corner and I can use it in any manner I please"...it caused quite a commotion among the crowd especially when the judge ended up agreeing with him on the matter and they continued without stopping. His action did not help him avail though and I think the judge saw it wouldnt in the first place when he made the decision he did.

10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Rules dictate you may have a fan. Other side should familiarize themselves with them before complaining. LOL

11. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

Only dead game dogs are the ones who chooses to take their death because their instinctive drive is so great the animal has no concept of quiting.

When I was a kid, Bob Hemphill told me 9 out 10 dogs quit because of conditioning.

So like most, I figured the key was in being the best conditioner.
    This isn't what he meant, he meant you're lucky if one out of ten are dead game that are showed.

12. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

The reason why they do this isn't to cool them down.
    The reason why they do this is for a couple of reasons.

When the show is a long one and they both stretched out like a lizard drinking,
    you blow on the dog so they can get your scent to let them know you are there but MOST of all,
    when a dog is down on the ground, they begin to shallow breath.
    When this happens they begin to breath in their own Carbon Dioxide.
    Blowing on them in the face will give them forced fresh air to breath.

This will help the dog a little to recover to come back..

13. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

I can take it but I will hand it out a lot harder then most can take because I've been there and know the difference.

My experience doesn't come from something I read in a book,
    mine comes from hands on experience....

14. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

Ya think so, get the handle right.
    If we ever have crossed paths, you would have remember it.

Originally Posted by Iron Mike
    LOL ya right! LMAO
    Throw one in with a Pit Dog and see if it fights to dominate or will be fighting for survival. ROTFL.
    I agree with this part, but...

Pit Dogs don't fight because of the love of it, they fight because it is instinctive.
    What?! Ever noticed that wagging tail? That's pure enjoyment.

And many don't. Waste of energy.
    You really think dogs only love to do what is instinive for them?

BTW VERY few dogs are finishers.
    Only a fool would bet on one scratching on a down or dead dog...
    True...

15. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

Think so, then should be easy for someone as knowledgeable as you.
    Find out for sure.....:p

16. simms

simms CH Dog

Hell, everybody know's your as old as dirt,an they didnt have books back then..LOL

17. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

We're at least talking about the same time now, but still....different ends of the dog :p

Yes, I know quite a few handlers who will blow on the rectum to lower the internal temperature of the dog. Absolutely no idea if it works, but that is their theory. And truth be told, since dogs don't "sweat" or open their pores, circulating air in any opening, seems more beneficial than fanning a dogs body.

Thoughts?

18. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

If it is a male dog, I wouldn't advise to try it or you might get dog bit!
    Most males don't like anything around their ass!:rolleyes:
    No, it will not lower the dog's temp.

Yes dogs do!
    Through their feet and they also release moisture through their mouth.

19. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

An old dog can lose his athleticism and his teeth worn down where it can't take hold good but a true game dog will stay game his whole life.

Old age and treachery will over come youth and skill.

20. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Correct, pads and mouth. But not the pores of the body, as humans "sweat". They do not sweat through their pores, there is no wicking away of moisture by fanning the body, and all in all, your doing very little to actually cool them down if this is your method.