1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

true working patterdales

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by lrk, Nov 12, 2010.

1. lrk

lrk Big Dog

What does a started patterdale usually cost? One guaranteed to go to earth? I'd like to have a good rough one to keep here on the farm to unearth these groundhogs that I can't shoot and occasional foxes. Would definitely be in a working environment.

2. zarna

zarna Big Dog

that would depend on who you are buying the dog from.? every ones price on a good dog is different. if you know some one they might give you one, others will sell them?

3. lrk

lrk Big Dog

Yeah that's the problem I don't know of any in my area. I have a good friend keeping an eye out for one for me. But in my area I haven't seen any. Just wondering what an avg price on a good started patterdale would be?

4. beejay

beejay Pup

I've seen puppies from $200 to $800. Started dogs, I don't know.

5. if you buy a dog with a guarantee be careful what exactly the guarantee is. Just because a dog is sold as guaranteed to go to ground doesn't mean it will find it's quarry and stay with it. atb

6. i have 5 males 7 weeks old. the mother which I own bayed her first coon in the middle of a creek at 5months old. she dove hunted and worked moles from 2-5mos of age. she ratted starting at 6 months in brush and wood piles. she went into burrows since the first time she saw one. to this day she has only been in one burrow and actually found something. it was a big coon in the side of a creek bank and tore her up some but she killed him. the stud is from california and worked in ground alot. as far as guarranttee goes I don't think you can make one on a young pup. my pups already come to whistle and my calling them, they pull rope and wrestle with the shepherd and coon hound, they have already been exposed to deer and blood and bit and shook the deer very enthusiastically. they were exposed to mole holes this week and all of them sniffed, dug, yelped and were excited by the holes. my female is going to get her first shot at groundhogs over new years when I take her to panhandle. I would stand behind my pups and say with confidence that if you expose them to gamey situations and praise good efforts that they will get on any critters you tell em too.

7. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

Dont forget Even a seasoned dog wont pull a groundhog out the ground . u have to put work in and dig them out. So get ur shovel ready!

8. oh yessir I have the sharpshooter shovel in-tow with my birdvest and 12ga

9. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

LRK, having a started dog like you are asking about can get ruined or turned off or slowed down by an inexperienced hunter or even a different hunter than the one who raised it up . find some people who dig in your area and ask to come along. Digging in the summer can get brutal, digging in the winter can be bone jarring. getting used to the box can take a bit of time too. offer to help dig anothers terrier enough and you might find yourself in a circle of people that might want to gift you a terrier to keep an eye on their blood and know that you will work the dog and work the dog in a manner they have seen and accept. and then the idea about working a terrier to fox is great but fox rarely rarely keep in a single hole sett and will bolt out the backdoor asap, if fox is really something you want to get after then you can either go the net method or think about a lurcher added to the team as well