1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

treadmill lovin'

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by BringBackup, Feb 14, 2010.

1. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Benny turned 9 months this week...I decided to let him have a go at the treadmill. I am a broke college student, so we have to make do with an electric mill unfortunately. In time I will purchase a slat mill, but this is working out so far. This is his first official time on it, and he did fairly well. I leash my dogs to it in the beginning until the concept of "stay on it!" sinks in and they don't hop around like wild banshees. He's still too young for conditioning so I only speed-walked him on it for about five minutes--this was more to get him used to the process. Excuse the mess, MY treadmill is among the rumble in my sister's garage lol I need to steal it back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

it works? i was always wondering how an electric mill would work.
    good, now i know who to call on a rainy day when its too ugly outside to excercise!;)

how is benny doing on the harness?
    has he tried pullin anything lightweight yet?

3. Boze

Boze Top Dog

beutiful dog do you got a ped he looks identical to my dog and they are the same age

4. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

yeah I have one that is his identical twin also. right down to the white on his nose and the same white marks on his feet. Mine is older than yours but I am interested to see if he is "related" to yours.
    j

5. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Yeah, it alright. Not the best situation but it works for the intended purpose. I found it FREE (yay!) in a gutter a couple streets from my house and I wrestled it into my car, then out of car, then through my backyard, and into the patio all by myself. I was sore for days haha. I haven't attached anything to the harness yet, but he has been walking around with it on. My friend and I are making a lightweight drag sled on Monday for future use and for his dog who is age appropriate for it.. Im probably going to start Benny off with a gallon milk carton filled with some pebbles to get him used to noise behind him. Not looking to work him out yet.

I doubt they are related; no ped on this guy. :/ Got him from a supposed pathological liar so I don't even know if his story is the truth lol

6. act284

act284 Big Dog

My dog is terrified to get on the thing because it makes noises and the movement from starting up is too abrupt for him. How do you condition them to actually staying on and running?

7. cheese

cheese Top Dog

If you have "The Complete Gamedog" it shows you how to make a frame around the mill to keep the dog from jumping off and he runs a chain on the top(a lot like slatmills) to keep the dog from going to far forward or back. It also keeps the dog from being distracted. But you can start by feeding your dog on it and praising it when its on the mill.
    Good lookin dog BringBackup

8. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Oh Laced, I forgot to tell you. The harness is a medium, I checked the tag. Maybe your dogs need a large?

Act; I had my pup watch my female Boxer mix run on the treadmill back when he was 4 or 5 months old. He got used to the sound and since she wasn't tripping out, neither did he. He also has incredible food motivation, so I baited him a lot with treats and got him to hop on and off while it was in motion. He is fairly environmental sound and although these pictures are the first official time he was consistently on this loud, moving machine he did not freak out at all. The best advice I can give you is lots of praise and treats, and do this very slowly. Don't force your dog onto the treadmill because it will only make things worse.

I also took my pup to the river today after training...This guy is a jack of all trades haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

where was this bb? it doesnt look like folsom lake and i didnt know there were any others locally? or is it part of the river?
    loco LOVES to swim, its his favorite thing in the world!

10. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

It was the American River over by Watt. I like it because it has a boat drop off/dock (last pic) at the end of the parking lot so I can stand close to the edge without getting muddy or soaked with water lol

11. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

oh right there by la riviera?? good stuff ill have to check it out sometime.

12. wonson3

wonson3 Pup

I intruduced my pup to a thread mill slowly. i made sure he is comfortable standing on it at first then starting it slow walk the following day or two. I used dried beef liver everytime we finished the introduction or while he is on it. He is now walking my threadmill everyday for 20 mins an hour before meals.

13. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Yeah, by La Riviera. They have a 5 dollar self parking fee, but I don't normally stay more than 30 minutes so I get away with not paying it lol. Loco doesn't like dogs, right? People usually have their dogs out there, but are good about keeping them close or leashed (except for some idiot teenager today who was letting his dog run loose ALL OVER THE PLACE. I had my foot geared up to kick it in the face if it ran up to my dog). I just slap a 50 foot leash on Benny and let him tear it up. He's pretty good about ignoring other dogs though, so I don't have to worry too much about him getting out of hand. The further you go down the river, the less dogs/people you run in to. I took my DA female there one time and found a nice spot off the trial that no one even came close to.

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

he's ok with females as long as they let him sniff her lol, if not he goes kobe bryant on em and try's to rape em!! lol
    bigger male dogs is a no no, but we got a little jack russel and he ignors him.
    you got another dog? never knew that

15. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

I've got an 8 year old white dog (in my gallery) and a Boxer mix. Both DA, so it's hard to do much with them. I've put a lot of time into Benny and he is just naturally suited to be my "public" dog...so far only low levels of DA, he is very socialized (got my other dogs as adults), and is a workaholic. He is capable of doing a lot more than the others basically.

16. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

this was a few months back :dogtongue: I first put her on the e mill around 3 months (just walking) and she took to it as if she was born to love it :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BjHi0ZRmgsk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BjHi0ZRmgsk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

whoops sorry about that
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjHi0ZRmgsk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjHi0ZRmgsk[/ame]

18. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Zoey looks so happy, wagging her tail and all. She's got a nice little pace going too. It is cool that you can move around her while she is jogging. With my Boxer mix I can only stand in front of it because if I go to the side she hops off to follow me lol

Laced, I made this drag sled today for about eight dollars. It works great, and Benny enjoyed pulling it around.

[​IMG]

19. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

welded??:eek: damn this girl can do it all lol

looks good i want sum pics of him pullin

20. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Ha, I can't weld--it's about the only thing I don't do! I've learned how to do a TON of wood working in that shop. Jig saw, drill saw, scroll saw, sanding belt, routers, etc...Not sure if any of those are the proper names but I know how to use it all lol My friend's dad did the welding, we were too wimpy to do it ourselves.