1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

training methods??????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by d-phi931, May 6, 2006.

1. d-phi931

d-phi931 Pup

anybody know any good training books or methods i can use to train my pup.

2. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Find a decent trainer who uses as close to pure positive as you can and take a basic class with them. Helps train YOU to train your dog. A lot of places offer inexpensive classes. Try to find someone who has won some titles from legit organizations and does not use force as the basis of their training.

3. d-phi931

d-phi931 Pup

what about pet smart i think they offer classes.

4. prettyfulpitbull

prettyfulpitbull Bullylover06

All I can do is you give you some tips for stuff like sit,stay,paw,potty training etc.Is that what you want?

5. d-phi931

d-phi931 Pup

yeah anything would help cause i have no idea but to keep saying what you named but i'm really looking for a book or something by professional. know any.

6. TRACER

TRACER Pup

Here are a couple of suggestions:

The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skeet (One caution: They recommend some physical corrections for misbehavior which you should use with caution. I agree that all dogs need appropriate discipline and guidance, however if the discipline is too harsh or administered unnecessarily you run the risk of ruining your dog's confidence and at the worst getting bit). Other than that they cover the phases of puppyhood good and things to expect and how to become your dog's leader.

Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor. Now this one I highly recommend. The above by the Monks deals with the nature of the dog, this second one deals with how to get the behavior you want.

That should get you a good start. I can give you some more suggestions if you need them.

Tracer

7. d-phi931

d-phi931 Pup

sure tracer more please thanks

8. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Two very good suggestions. I would not be overly worried about using too much force or corrections with this breed, as with several other breeds, they are not very sensative to physical corrections. I mean, you would be very careful with a min poodle, but a dobie needs more force. I have read about a dozen books on canine training and the very best books ever are the ones sent by Education Direct. They have a Canine Obedience Instructor program that you can pay for monthly and the booklets they send are the ABSOLUTE best bunches of information I have ever read. I would choose it over ANY other books, videos or even classes. They cover everything from the different drives and types of training to the sensory abilities of canines, I couldn't tell you, but check that out. It also provides apprenticing and a couple training aids. This course actually includes the book "Don't Shoot the Dog"

9. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I'd add a strong caution to that. Some Pitbulls are VERY people soft and sensitive to harsh corrections. My dog who is a TDI/CGC would be a basketcase if I used harsh corrections. Also, harsh corrections are easy to abuse and require less thought to use, thus lowering the level of understanding of what makes your particuar dog tick.

10. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Oh, sure, the hardest part of learning to train is to know when to correct and how to make it effective. A TDI/CGC dog would not need harsh corrections at all, I agree, they are already on a level of training. The whole point is to get the dogs attention and honestly some dogs need more than others, prong collars for some and others need a slight nudge on a soft nylon collar. I wouldn't take it too far either, I mean, IMO William Koehler is over the line.

11. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Not sure how well you know the breed, but can you determine if the dog is "soft", takes a long time to recover from a correction, or a "hard" dog, gets over it really quick? If you cannot why not have behaviorlist take a look at the pup and that would give you some good insight as to what training methods would be most effective. Remember Pits are slow to mature so a soft pup could become a hard dog as it gets older. Notice how the dog is responding to the chosen training techniques, if things appear to change radically have the pup re-assessed. Good luck and have fun!!!!

12. Suki

Suki Guest

IMO, harsh corrections aren't necessary. You'll get WAY more response with a dog by using a pleasant approach. I would recommend "The Rosetta Bone", by Cheryl S. Smith. She's fabulous, and trains just like I do. Also, any questions you can e-mail her, and she's great replying back. I treated myself to this book when it first came out, and recommend it to everyone.

I have always felt "you attract more bees with honey". You want your dog to "respect" you, not fear you.
    Also, there's a gal on-line:Nancy Richards. She's kind of "basic" but you may find her helpful:

http://americanpitbullterrier.dogtraininginstitute.com/blog

good luck!

13. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Great post. I think your sort of training can take longer and require more thought, but its well worth it. You get better results, and a happier more well adjusted dog. Some of the really harsh methods that some sport people use can REALLY screw up a dog. I just don't think any award or ribbon is worth goiing down that road.

14. the best tips i can give you is (1) be very patient and never ever try and train a dog when you are in a bad mood remember he is just a puppy.(2) give lots of love and praise when he does good but also dont be affraid to correct him when he needs it but dont go over board and only do it when he needs it.(3) start simple with things like teaching him his name and house breaking him first,and work up a good bond with him along the way.then when you start teaching him more advanced things keep it short and fun.(4) be the boss it makes training go alot faster if the puppy knows your are the leader of the house hold,and always make sure that you keep the same set of rules you teach him when he is a pup perminanet till the day he dies,and never tolerate anything that breaks the rules you set.

hope this helps you out some.

Riptora likes this.
  15. Suki

Suki Guest

Yeah! GREAT points!

Definitly, initially, keep the sessions short, 5-10 minutes, as you don't want your dog to "loose interest".
    Training should be something your dog is eager for, and wants to do. Don't overload him/her=that's a recipe for diseaster. Be enthusiastic, and your dog will sense that, and should be as well.

16. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Suki- I was thinking today that I should have mentioned "the Rosetta Bone" I agree, a fabulous book! I haven't finished it yet, almost but so far I have been more than impressed.

17. Suki

Suki Guest

yeah, one of the BEST thing I've ever treated myself to.
    She's a gem, too!

18. TRACER

TRACER Pup

All the advice given so far sounds good. Especially the stuff about using motivational (reward) methods. Remember there is a time and place for corrections, but if you play your cards right and educate yourself, those times should be very few and far between. Here are a couple of other books you might take a look at:

1.) The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. Talks about treating and understanding your dog as a dog and not a person.

2.) Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons. Same caution as the Monks of New Skeet, be careful on any recommended physical corrections.

3.) Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them by Pamela Reid. Excellent book!

4-6.) And if you feel really adventurous, like scientific, college-type textbooks, and have lots of money to spend then consider: Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training: Volumes 1-3 by Steven Lindsay.

Hope this helps.
    Tracer

1 person likes this.